ADVERTISEMENT

Frank

I wish! How is it racist?
This argument has been going on forever. Way back when I was at USC there were studies done that the language arts sections had issues with inner city kids. The argument was they didn’t know what porches were because they had stoops.

This argument has been going on forever. Way back when I was at USC there were studies done that the language arts sections had issues with inner city kids. The argument was they didn’t know what porches were because they had stoops.
Then it was noise. Now it's democratic mainstream.

Reactions: redrogers
That's odd... I knew what a stoop was in H.S. and I've always had a porch. Don't you learn stuff like that? You're not supposed to know everything out the gate you learn definitions/meanings of words and how to use them. Crazy how watered down the word racist has become.. Back in the day if you called someone racist, they were a terrible person. Now everyone is racist

Ultimately dumbing anything down hurts the people it is supposed to help. We compete in an international economy. If the children in other countries are challenged to become smarter, they grow up to be better weapons engineers.

It doesn't matter. Frank is such a poor recruiter he couldn't sign the dumbest of players.

Did they use the term "racial equity?" I've heard that one a lot lately.

Reactions: jeff2001
Ultimately dumbing anything down hurts the people it is supposed to help. We compete in an international economy. If the children in other countries are challenged to become smarter, they grow up to be better weapons engineers.
Where are you seeing that they want to “dumb it down”?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

I think it’s a mistake to equate not placing a lot of emphasis on the SAT and ACT with dumbing down things.

That sounds like a sales pitch.

Y’all are just lazy aren’t y’all? There is a lot of research that supports this. How about instead of reacting with emotions that you actually research these claims?

https://www.tcpress.com/blog/dismantling-white-supremacy-includes-racist-tests-sat-act/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimels...-and-act-are-biased-heres-what-research-says/
A test on and of itself can’t be racist and the “studies” are simply comparing scores and blaming stereotypes for the scores which is ridiculous.

What it shows is a gap in scores based on quality of schools and the households students are raised in. That is a socioeconomic issue not a racial issue.

A test on and of itself can’t be racist and the “studies” are simply comparing scores and blaming stereotypes for the scores which is ridiculous.

What it shows is a gap in scores based on quality of schools and the households students are raised in. That is a socioeconomic issue not a racial issue.

Socioeconomics is a racial equity issue.

Frank Martin in his view is by far in the majority today in higher education. Many schools have gone SAT/ACT test optional......including the University of South Carolina. Each year, dozens of schools drop the test requirement. In fact, most top tier schools are now test optional including Harvard, Yale, Stanford, U of California, U of Michigan, Duke and U of Notre Dame.

https://www.fairtest.org/sites/default/files/Optional-Schools-in-U.S.News-Top-Tiers.pdf

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Frank Martin in his view is by far in the majority today in higher education. Many schools have gone SAT/ACT test optional......including the University of South Carolina. Each year, dozens of schools drop the test requirement. In fact, most top tier schools are now test optional including Harvard, Yale, Stanford, U of California, U of Michigan, Duke and U of Notre Dame.

https://www.fairtest.org/sites/default/files/Optional-Schools-in-U.S.News-Top-Tiers.pdf
There is racial correlation. That’s quite different than a racial equity issue.

Reactions: Expro19

Socioeconomic is not a racial issue. The racial disparity may be skewed one way but poor people of all races are impacted equally.

High school transcripts are better predictors of future academic success than ACT/SAT scores. Look at what classes students completed and how well they did in those courses.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Reactions: jeff2001
High school transcripts are better predictors of future academic success than ACT/SAT scores. Look at what classes students completed and how well they did in those courses.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
Eh. They’re an example of either motivation or quality of teaching. I know lots of kids who scored great on the SAT despite having below average scores on their high school transcript. There is no one size fits all answer.

Black lives matter. SAT and ACTs do not when trying to figure out why black lives matter. The white kid will evaporate from basketball if Frank gets his way and eliminates these two test.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
Correct. And they've known this for years.

Leave that question in.......if someone doesn’t know what both of those mean they deserve a low score. The C students in my day were smarter than today’s A students.

Reactions: Expro19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT