ADVERTISEMENT

Fried fish

jackrabbit slim

Mar 30, 2008
If I were in Cola, where would I go to get a good old fashioned fried fish dinner? You know, slaw, beans, etc. A couple hush puppies maybe.

The only thing that comes to mind is Lizards Thicket. You have your other typical fast food fish places, but I don't think you want that. I'm sure there are old fashioned eateries out there that may be better. Some others may chime in.

Reactions: vehemon
Lizard's Thicket gives you two nice sized fried flounder filets. Don't think they have hushpuppies but the cornbread is good. Of all their meats they do fish the best.

There aren't any old fish camps left in Columbia?

Also, what happened to Dixie Seafood (I think that's what is was called)? Used to have the best fish/seafood in Columbia.

Does the Blue Marlin serve fried fish?

Hudson's catfish is as good as I've had, but it's been a while since I had some!

Don't know if they're still there but there were a few fried fish joints mostly take out near Eau Claire HS.

If I were in Cola, where would I go to get a good old fashioned fried fish dinner? You know, slaw, beans, etc. A couple hush puppies maybe.

I love Catfish and my favorite place in the state of SC is: drum roll...............River City Grill, Myrtle Beach.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
What ever happened to Po Folks on Bush River Rd? Loved their popcorn shrimp as a kid.

Blue Ocean in Clinton is exactly what you are looking for. It's right off the exit on I26.

If Captains Galley/Fairfield Cove is still open in Winnsboro then that's good fried seafood too

Golden Bay on St Andrews near Zorbas has excellent founder and their lunch special is like $6. They got 4.7 stars out of 5.

Anyone that says Lizards Thicket ir Nick's should be slapped. Look for one of those side of the road church fish fries. That's the ticket or cook your own. They just aren't out there. Back in the day in Cayce a place called Chappys was the best but they're long gone now

Little Pigs BBQ (Alpine Rd) is the place to go. They have fried haddock, hush puppies, slaw, beans, etc. Everything is on their buffet, and A+ quality.

Reactions: bloody spur
There aren't any old fish camps left in Columbia?

Also, what happened to Dixie Seafood (I think that's what is was called)? Used to have the best fish/seafood in Columbia.

Does the Blue Marlin serve fried fish?
Blue Marlin does in fact serve fried fish. And, it is the nastiest fish I ever attempted to eat.

Reactions: bloody spur
Am I the only one that thinks Long John Silvers fried cod is amazing...and for the price is almost as good as anything out there? Look, I’ve had better...don’t get me wrong. But I still love that crap.

I maybe wrong here but is captain George’s on belt line still open?i went to captain toms that was on broad river back in the day and couldn’t finish the plate they gave so much food..

She must have had a good family history, but heart disease runs in my family. How wonderful that you had your grandmother around until she was 106.

I can identify. My father died of heart disease at 55. If all the experts had a clue we would all be immortal, but they do not. Fried food is not nearly as bad for you as stress. So eat Catfish and chill out. Have some biscuits with them too. Put some gravy on those biscuits, and stop worrying about eating fried food once a month. Trust me, you will live to be 80, like me.

Reactions: Lakecock1
OP check out Cracker Barrel. Charming little country store you can peruse while waiting there too

There use to be a place in Chapin called Jacks about 25 years ago. They'd give you 4 whole fried baby catfish, a bowl of catfish stew, hush puppies and slaw. It was fantastic.

ADVERTISEMENT