ADVERTISEMENT

Future of the SEC and ESPN

rgamecock1

Apr 19, 2003
As I am about to post my viewpoint on the future of the SEC and the role ESPN will have rather we like it or not will be at times we will be saying we should have seen this coming. But in my viewpoint the

future of the SEC and ESPN will be like one coach said it will be between the haves and the have nots. First of all in 2025 is when the new contract with the SEC and ESPN comes into play. With that contract

as it stands now each member school of the SEC will be receiving on an annual basis of between $90m - $100m. That was before Texas and Oklahoma were added and will join in 2025. (Maybe sooner). So

with those two schools added to the mix it is estimated that each SEC member school will get between $125m - $150m. After research the ACC has a contract with ESPN that runs through 2036 with each

member school getting 35m. The only other conference to come close to the SEC would be the BIG10. With that being said the difference between the SEC and the ACC for all the schools will be staggering.

Sooner or later the season ticket holders and boosters can only pay so much. That is just a fact of life. So take in consideration the postponement of the expanded CFP to 12 teams that was going to add for

each conference probably about 20m for their conference. Now that the expansion has been put on hold that is lost revenue for everyone. But like someone told me in the long run this is not going to hurt

the SEC. But like an article in Saturday Down South all it takes is a majority of the power 5 schools to vote for an expanded playoff to 12 teams. With or without the ACC it is going to happen. I promise you that

is going to happen. The ACC went into panic mode when it was announced that Texas and Oklahoma were going to join the SEC, because they felt like the CFP would be dominated by the SEC. It was already

agreed upon for a 12 team CFP playoff until this happened. So again this is lost revenue. Lastly after talking with a friend who is in the broadcasting profession it appears that in the future the major schools

will be going to a pay for watch like the NFL does, sign up for a package on a yearly basis. The power 5 schools are looking into this scenario where if you want to watch your favorite school you can sign up to

watch them for an annual fee. This is going to happen as I was told that ESPN has to get additional revenue to pay these schools for the high media rights for each school in their conference. This is going to

happen in the future. A lot of smaller schools that support football will have to drop it in the future because they cannot keep up with the large schools who have all these resources. This is going to happen

because of the financial resources that the power 5 schools are getting. Combine this along with NIL,transfer portal makes it harder for the smaller schools to compete. Right now as we all know the elite

athletes are going to the highest bidder. Happening every day. This is just the way things are in college football. Do I like it? No but noone is going to turn back the hands of time. We will have to get used to it.

I believe you are right. I thought it was going to happen with the rollout of the SECN, but it has taken a little longer than my initial expectation.

I see Div 1 football splitting. P5 league and lower league, whatever they want to call the 2. Schools without the money won’t have to cancel football, they’ll just compete on a smaller level.
Years from now when only ESPN/ABC show the SEC games I’ll reminisce of hearing this tune on Saturdays

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
ESPN still makes way more money from cable subscribers in total and on a per household basis when compared to ESPN+. And they can still double-up because there are those who have ESPN through cable and also pay for ESPN+ to get access to content exclusive to that platform. Overall, as more content becomes fractured and offered through an exclusive streaming services, there is some thinking that traditional cable subscriptions may stabilize and remain how the majority of Americans watch tv— at least in part— as they find more value in packages that previously seemed obsolete. With that, it’s not necessarily a given that ESPN moves more heavily into a tiered ESPN+ model or hides a bunch of SEC games behind a separate paywall from cable or ESPN+. We will hit a limit where consumers will refuse to actively pay for narrow content when they could previously passively pay for a wide variety of content.

The closest anyone has come to a direct to consumer model and taking complete ownership of their broadcasts is the NBA. They’ve done significant research in terminating all broadcast deals and moving to a direct pay approach with consumers. What they determined was the the infrastructure to pull off such a move was cost prohibitive, but also that much of NBA viewership was largely passive— which they already sort of knew from league pass. That is, people are happy to consume NBA games as part of a broader cable package or streaming service, but if you pulled the league or teams as separate for pay content, they would lose a lot of eyeballs and subscription revenue would not make up for losing broadcast rights and other ad revenue.

Reactions: THEwinningera
I believe the future of major college football will look more like the NFL and less like college football.
  • About 40 teams from around the country
  • Divided into divisions
  • Compensated players
  • Playoffs
The rest of college football will look FCS.

I believe the future of major college football will look more like the NFL and less like college football.
  • About 40 teams from around the country
  • Divided into divisions
  • Compensated players
  • Playoffs
The rest of college football will look FCS.
I’ll spend more time watching “the rest.” It’s good football without all the problems money brings.

Call it for what it will be....the SEC will rule college football and all the other conferences will fight for 2nd place and behind by a large margin.

Reactions: jerryusc
The B10 could raid the ACC once again to get Duke and UNC which would make the ACC even more of a 3rd tier conference and would make snooty ND have 2nd thoughts about joining the B10.
Have read that if ND joins another conference they have to pay the ACC in blood and first borns.

Parity ? NASCAR model for college football will not work . NBA has parity . I have not watched a NBA game in 15 years . Still , glad we are in the SEC & another school is not .

Sucks to be in the ACC
That’s why they are balking on expansion!! Phillips trying to BS everyone into needing to fix other issues. When in reality he wants to wait until tv contracts come up for bid allowing fox and others to get in the game and not just ESPN. ACC has worse TV contract out of most conferences. They are so far behind in money now it is ridiculous and are stuck with Current deal for a while. This makes it almost impossible to compete. Phillips is also hedging bets on Clemson being good and keeping the ACC relevant. He better hope he is right because if Clemson goes back to sucking he has no leverage and his plan will backfire big time.

If you don’t have parity too many games will be blowouts. Boring. That’s why the NCAA tournament is fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT