ADVERTISEMENT

Future SEC scheduling

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
It looks like that once Texas and OU are in the conference, the SEC will go with 3 permanent foes playing annually, and then rotate the other 6 schools every other year. That would guarantee that your team visits every SEC campus at least once every 4 years, and that we would likewise get every SEC school into our home stadium at least once every 4 years. That is what I am hearing from Texas sources.

That's better than anything we have had since we joined. There should be no class that doesnt get to play everyone at some point during their time.

It looks like that once Texas and OU are in the conference, the SEC will go with 3 permanent foes playing annually, and then rotate the other 6 schools every other year. That would guarantee that your team visits every SEC campus at least once every 4 years, and that we would likewise get every SEC school into our home stadium at least once every 4 years. That is what I am hearing from Texas sources.
Hopefully this will be the case. I've been to every SEC venue over the years except Missouri, and I've also been to Texas games. I despise the fact that some teams currently go as much as a decade or more without playing each other. This new 9-game scheduling format will be more fair to the schools and the fans, imo.
While I don't know who UF's 3 permanent/rivalry games might be (other than UGA), I would love to see Auburn, as they are our 2nd-oldest rivalry, though we stopped playing them when Mizzou and A&M entered the league. I'd be fine with South Carolina as our 3rd permanent opponent .... or maybe Tennessee or UK. We shall see.

We will probably get Georgia for sure.

17xwke.jpg

Texas will obviously have OU, and there is a good chance that another will be Arkansas, given the old rivalries. The logical third is A&M. But A&M moved to the SEC to get away from Texas shadow. A&M says they should be grouped with LSU and a Mississippi school. I would be fine with Texas grouped with OU, Ark and Ole Miss. Or OU, Ark and Missouri.

I doubt A&M has the stroke in the SEC to pull that off. They will probably be grouped with Texas, OU and Ark. Which is like sending them to purgatory in their view.

While I'm sure they will keep rivals and longtime historic matchups together, it will be interesting to see what they do with us. Many teams have two must haves. Cant say we do and the one, well I'm not so sure about. The uga fans I know have never really considered us a rival. I'm not so sure the league does either. Still tho, interesting to see how this plays out for us. If they want to create good matchups... Hello Vandy and UK!

Essentially, these scheduling clusters would be like "pods" without being "pods", in that having the best record among the four teams wouldn't mean anything in and of itself. I'm excited about turning the schedule over more quickly and having a championship game that will likely never again feature a team with three conference losses, which is a disgrace. I also welcome the possibility of nine conference games. Greater consumer value. Wish to goodness it could start in '24.

Reactions: bucketdad
While I'm sure they will keep rivals and longtime historic matchups together, it will be interesting to see what they do with us. Many teams have two must haves. Cant say we do and the one, well I'm not so sure about. The uga fans I know have never really considered us a rival. I'm not so sure the league does either. Still tho, interesting to see how this plays out for us. If they want to create good matchups... Hello Vandy and UK!
We have no standing at all in the SEC that demands scheduling recognition. None. Zilch. Nada. I think that geography will play a role. If we get Georgia, it will be because of proximity, not due to any supposed "rivalry".

ADVERTISEMENT