ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock Baseball 2020 Recruiting Class Ranked #6 by Baseball America

I’m glad we had a highly ranked recruiting class but I am underwhelmed with the results so far. We should be a lot better than what we are.

I’m glad we had a highly ranked recruiting class but I am underwhelmed with the results so far. We should be a lot better than what we are.
Holbrook certainly didn’t meet the high expectations Tanner created but he brought in several high ranked recruits and didn’t leave the cupboard bare for Kingston. Be interested to see what year three? brings

Holbrook certainly didn’t meet the high expectations Tanner created but he brought in several high ranked recruits and didn’t leave the cupboard bare for Kingston. Be interested to see what year three? brings

Yeah for me the jury is still out on Kingston. He had a good run his first year with a roster full of MLB draft talent. Corona may have saved a dumpster fire this past season similar to two years ago.

A large # of this class is made up of quality JUCO players - just based on JUCO player class rankings, our class has to be way up at the top as well.

The good and bad to this is we'll have a lot of players that can step in immediately and contribute instead of needing a year or two to develop, but we'll also have a number of players that could just be with us a single year and then move on to the pros. Of course, we're also bringing in some quality JUCO players for the 2021 class too, so we'll reload....

You Throw the ball
You Hit the ball
You Catch the ball

You got it ?

I am so effn ready, cutting last year short broke my heart on a Dawn Staley lets go grab a ring level, and I know these boys weren't meant for collecting a ring, but to not see where they could have landed.............broke my heart!

NOW its time to kick names and take ass

Took him a while? He's only had 2 full seasons since his 3rd was, well, 2020.
Touche' BG!! Touche'!! But hey now, I made that totally "un-thought" comment while cruising in a slow, 5mph bumper-to-bumper traffic jam here in Charlotte 'cause of a wreck that was totally OFF THE INTERSTATE, yet ya gotcha "glimpsers" who just HAFTA slow down and scope out all the details of even the most blatantly simplest of bump-ups, just so they can see if there's any blood that's visible by us "drive-byers" so they'll have something to gossip about on facebook, twitter, or maybe even at the evening family dinner!!!!

Uugggghhhhhhhh something's, out of sheer aggravation, can/will evaporate common sense from some us'es 50+ year-old brains!!!!

Touche' BG!! Touche'!! But hey now, I made that totally "un-thought" comment while cruising in a slow, 5mph bumper-to-bumper traffic jam here in Charlotte 'cause of a wreck that was totally OFF THE INTERSTATE, yet ya gotcha "glimpsers" who just HAFTA slow down and scope out all the details of even the most blatantly simplest of bump-ups, just so they can see if there's any blood that's visible by us "drive-byers" so they'll have something to gossip about on facebook, twitter, or maybe even at the evening family dinner!!!!

Uugggghhhhhhhh something's, out of sheer aggravation, can/will evaporate common sense from some us'es 50+ year-old brains!!!!

Moved away from Charlotte 6 years ago, can’t even think of anything I miss

The results of his “ two “ seasons where he didn’t inherit an abundant of talent ?
Plus one of the two seasons we made a good run in post season without the most talented team
Just not sure what you meant since he’s only had two full seasons and it takes time to build talent. Which it seems what he’s doing by looking at recruiting

The results of his “ two “ seasons where he didn’t inherit an abundant of talent ?
Plus one of the two seasons we made a good run in post season without the most talented team
Just not sure what you meant since he’s only had two full seasons and it takes time to build talent. Which it seems what he’s doing by looking at recruiting
Not to mention his second season his entire pitching staff was decimated by injury. But people call that an "excuse". Even CRT said he couldn't have won with a staff depleted so.

Reactions: carolinamyke
To be honest, I wasnt high on the hire because I didnt particularly care for his philosophy or approach but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt assuming he could make that approach work... because that's what its all about. To say I didnt like what I saw offensively the first two years would be an understatement. But what really got me on the Kingston train was his willingness to change both to achieve succcess. What worked for him before wasnt working here imo and I think he recognized that. That deserves much respect. Hated that we didnt get to see the results of those changes last year. I am so looking forward to seeing it this year.

To be honest, I wasnt high on the hire because I didnt particularly care for his philosophy or approach but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt assuming he could make that approach work... because that's what its all about. To say I didnt like what I saw offensively the first two years would be an understatement. But what really got me on the Kingston train was his willingness to change both to achieve succcess. What worked for him before wasnt working here imo and I think he recognized that. That deserves much respect. Hated that we didnt get to see the results of those changes last year. I am so looking forward to seeing it this year.
He did so well in the sunshine state I can’t believe he would take over one of the best programs in the country and continue to be mediocre.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
He did so well in the sunshine state I can’t believe he would take over one of the best programs in the country and continue to be mediocre.
IMO, his time here is water under the bridge. We are at a crossroads and he has chosen a path forward. I have new hope it will work... we will see.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Let me spell it out. He had a okay regular season in year one but the team had tons of talent and got hot in the tournament. Let’s not forget that team was a bubble team to even make the NCAA Tournament. Not sure which team made a run without talent. Did you see how many players got drafted off that team that lost to Arky in the supers?

The wheels absolutely fell off in year 2. If you want to blame that on Holbroke that’s your choice. Kingston can offer scholarships to replace that talent. We were young, we had injuries and we were an absolute dumpster fire.

Last season was interrupted by Covid so we won’t know what would have happened. We were 12-4 overall which seems fine but had already lost a series to Northwestern and Clemson before the meat of the schedule. That team would have likely been exposed in the conference slate. As of now that’s just a prediction but next season will be played and we will know where we stack up.

Next year is year 4. No more Holbroke excuses. Kingston doesn’t give them, but some of his die hard supporters do.

Reactions: 92Pony
So with regard to Miami and Vanderbilt. Someone was trying to explain how private schools have some scholarship advantage in baseball. I thought everyone got jus 11.7 scholarships, but somehow those schools are finding a loophole to help the other players? Anyone know?

So with regard to Miami and Vanderbilt. Someone was trying to explain how private schools have some scholarship advantage in baseball. I thought everyone got jus 11.7 scholarships, but somehow those schools are finding a loophole to help the other players? Anyone know?

I know Vanderbilt and Virginia and some of the other baseball powers have “foundations” where certain kids that qualify get part or all of their schooling paid for. Having the ability to throw or hit a baseball seems to help. So these players are technically not on “scholarship” but are receiving substantial financial aid, in some cases more than the “scholarship players.”

Vandy may very well get more aid to players on top of their scholarships than most everyone else in the league idk. But when I look at Vandy, I see a well coached team that has a specific identity, knows what kind of players that fit that identity and plays within that identity. They play a winning brand of baseball offensively, knows what works and knows what they want to do. They have the best plate appearances in college baseball. Thats coaching. Recruiting is not going to beat them. Playing a different brand of baseball is not going to beat them. They must be beat playing their brand. Doesnt matter how much aid we get to players. If we want to get to the next level, coaching is what will get us there. My 2 cents.

Vandy may very well get more aid to players on top of their scholarships than most everyone else in the league idk. But when I look at Vandy, I see a well coached team that has a specific identity, knows what kind of players that fit that identity and plays within that identity. They play a winning brand of baseball offensively, knows what works and knows what they want to do. They have the best plate appearances in college baseball. Thats coaching. Recruiting is not going to beat them. Playing a different brand of baseball is not going to beat them. They must be beat playing their brand. Doesnt matter how much aid we get to players. If we want to get to the next level, coaching is what will get us there. My 2 cents.
Doesn’t hurt that they’ve had outstanding pitching

Recruiting in baseball means nothing to me. You recruit the best class, it gets fleeced by the MLB, you are left with the dregs of that class.... It is all a guess! I don’t even care if they win the offseason any more, I want them to WIN ON THE FIELD, and Kingston has not done enough of that. Show me you can do something with the talent we have this year Kingston. Did not look real good before this past season was cut short and the year prior was awful! If he has another bad season coming up... I am checking out on this guy. He won most of his games with Holbrook’s players. We have no way of knowing what Chad would have done with that team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT