ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock Club average person

Dec 3, 2015
I know it takes money to build and keep up with all the other big schools. I'm here to say with the way things are going with price going up on tickets and paying so much for parking or having to have so many points to have a chance to purchase better parking. The average person can't afford going every week.

Why add more seating when you can't pack Williams-Brice now. I remember going 0-11 and the stands being just about packed.

Reactions: gamecockfury
I know it takes money to build and keep up with all the other big schools. I'm here to say with the way things are going with price going up on tickets and paying so much for parking or having to have so many points to have a chance to purchase better parking. The average person can't afford going every week.

Why add more seating when you can't pack Williams-Brice now. I remember going 0-11 and the stands being just about packed.
You don't. You alter the types of seating. When they add suites to the East Side, you will see a reduction in capacity.

Reactions: rogue cock
Lots of games of 60-70k in 99. Plus, not all those games were on TV. Maybe only 2 home games all year were

Reactions: king ward
Yeah, but all these stories of packed houses are urban legend. I was there to see it.
I was there too, and the attendance was very very good during those or any years. Having said that, what is going on now is a whole different animal.
When you add in Gamecock club dues, seat fees, parking and season tickets, the average fan has been priced out.

I was there too, and the attendance was very very good during those or any years. Having said that, what is going on now is a whole different animal.
I think the crowds were good during the Sparky/ Brad years. And there was an expansion during Brad. But when we went mediocre and worse, we saw a lot of empty seats up in the corners. Again, I'm only disputing claims that the stadium was full all the time during those days. It simply wasn't.

As I recall, there were usually between 60k-72k for most games.
You recall incorrectly. We averaged 78,000 per game that year. And those numbers are legit.

That's not to say that the fans were simply _better_ then than they are now. The fan base had faith that a legendary coach was going to turn things around (we just didn't realize we'd have to wait another year to see us get a win). And there weren't as many games on TV back then. No SEC network and, I think, no ESPNU. It makes a difference when you don't have the luxury of watching the game in your living room for free.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
I think the crowds were good during the Sparky/ Brad years. And there was an expansion during Brad. But when we went mediocre and worse, we saw a lot of empty seats up in the corners. Again, I'm only disputing claims that the stadium was full all the time during those days. It simply wasn't.
The crowds dwindled significantly during the last two years of the Brad Scott error. Ultimately, that's what gets coaches fired. Lou's first season saw big numbers.

You recall incorrectly. We averaged 78,000 per game that year. And those numbers are legit.

That's not to say that the fans were simply _better_ then than they are now. The fan base had faith that a legendary coach was going to turn things around (we just didn't realize we'd have to wait another year to see us get a win). And there weren't as many games on TV back then. No SEC network and, I think, no ESPNU. It makes a difference when you don't have the luxury of watching the game in your living room for free.
You might be right. But I'll speak from the years upon years I've sat in the stands at football games: every stadium I've been too gives announced attendance numbers that represent tickets sold, not actual butts in seats. Sure, the technology is there to do it now, but do you really think the Sports Information Department collects numbers from ticket stubs, or metered stalls, adds them all up and announces attendance from that? Nope. You can say 78,000, but if that was announced, it was much close to 70k.

I don't know where I going with this whole thing just bothers me that it use to a lot more affordable to go up for football games and park tailgate with friends and family. And with price going up on all of it, it takes any fun out of it.

The crowds dwindled significantly during the last two years of the Brad Scott error. Ultimately, that's what gets coaches fired. Lou's first season saw big numbers.
Compared to Brad's last numbers. People had hope. Looking back, I wish three years had been enough for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT