ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock Men’s Basketball vs Georgetown

South Carolina has a game with Florida State this December and they are playing at Rock Hill. I do not want to be playing any of these old Metro Conference teams unless South Carolina is forced to ( bowl game, NCAA tournament). I thought Coach Martin has or had a connection with Georgia Tech's basketball coach and that is why South Carolina played Memphis back in the 2016-17 season. Why not schedule a two game series with Georgia Tech? I will even like to Wake Forest with a two game series.

Where are they playing in Rock Hill? We scheduled Georgetown to a home and home back in the early 2000’s. Back then Georgetown still had a better reputation, though not near the power they had been in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. We beat them pretty good in 2002 I believe. Recall we beat them in the NIT a few years after as well. Will be cool to see Patrick Ewing on the bench. They had quite a run to win their conference tournament this year.

FSU has become quite a basketball school and have done it under the radar. I swear the beat the crap out of Florida every year. They’re one of the best ACC teams right now. Not sure what they have coming back though.

Where are they playing in Rock Hill? We scheduled Georgetown to a home and home back in the early 2000’s. Back then Georgetown still had a better reputation, though not near the power they had been in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. We beat them pretty good in 2002 I believe. Recall we beat them in the NIT a few years after as well. Will be cool to see Patrick Ewing on the bench. They had quite a run to win their conference tournament this year.

FSU has become quite a basketball school and have done it under the radar. I swear the beat the crap out of Florida every year. They’re one of the best ACC teams right now. Not sure what they have coming back though.

FSU seems to have 5 seven footers on their team at any given time. Heck even their PGs seem to be about 6-7

Sullivan Middle School

South Carolina has a game with Florida State this December and they are playing at Rock Hill. I do not want to be playing any of these old Metro Conference teams unless South Carolina is forced to ( bowl game, NCAA tournament). I thought Coach Martin has or had a connection with Georgia Tech's basketball coach and that is why South Carolina played Memphis back in the 2016-17 season. Why not schedule a two game series with Georgia Tech? I will even like to Wake Forest with a two game series.
Georgia Tech was in the Metro, but left it to join the ACC. We joined the Metro 5 years after the Jackets left.

I'm all for playing our old Metro and ACC foes as often as we can.

It is puzzling to me why we're playing FSU in Rock Hill, but from what I read, the contract calls for a return game on a neutral court in Florida "sometime in the future."

They are probably playing at the new Events Center. Very nice building built to host big time AAU events and HS tournaments. Many of the top HS players have played there over the last year or so since it opened.

Wow. I neve knew Georgia Tech participated in the Metro conference. I think at one time they were a member of the Southern Conference and the Southeastern Conference, but I am unaware of Georgia Tech being a member of the Metro.

I just do not care to play none of those teams anymore. I guess I witness too many disappointing defeats against Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Southern Mississippi and Florida State. I kind of expected at times to lose to Louisville and Memphis. I am fine with playing the charter members of the ACC and even Maryland, but no interest playing Pittsburgh and Boston College. I did enjoy a few years back when South Carolina beat Syracuse in New York, New York.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
They are probably playing at the new Events Center. Very nice building built to host big time AAU events and HS tournaments. Many of the top HS players have played there over the last year or so since it opened.

My understanding is that place only holds about 1200 people. Winthrop is the only arena in town/county capable of hosting such a game with 10k capacity. It’s certainly a head scratcher as to why it’s being played in RH?

My understanding is that place only holds about 1200 people. Winthrop is the only arena in town/county capable of hosting such a game with 10k capacity. It’s certainly a head scratcher as to why it’s being played in RH?

Id rather play at Winthrop than the AAU palace. This is a head scratcher on the schedule to say the least.

Wow. I neve knew Georgia Tech participated in the Metro conference. I think at one time they were a member of the Southern Conference and the Southeastern Conference, but I am unaware of Georgia Tech being a member of the Metro.

I just do not care to play none of those teams anymore. I guess I witness too many disappointing defeats against Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Southern Mississippi and Florida State. I kind of expected at times to lose to Louisville and Memphis. I am fine with playing the charter members of the ACC and even Maryland, but no interest playing Pittsburgh and Boston College. I did enjoy a few years back when South Carolina beat Syracuse in New York, New York.
Below is a quote from the Wikipedia article on the Metro Conference:

The Metro Conference was founded in 1975 with institutions that were located in urban metropolitan areas. The charter members were the University of Cincinnati, Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Louisville, Memphis State University (now the University of Memphis), Saint Louis University and Tulane University. Florida State University joined in 1976, while the University of South Carolina turned down an invitation in hopes of rejoining the Atlantic Coast Conference.

In 1978, Georgia Tech left the Metro for the Atlantic Coast Conference, effective on July 1, 1979; and Virginia Tech replaced its spot in 1979. In 1982, Saint Louis left to join the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, now known as the Horizon League; while the University of Southern Mississippi replaced its spot in that same year. The University of South Carolina later joined in 1983. In 1985, West Virginia University was in talks to replace Tulane, which had suspended their men’s basketball program due to a points shaving scandal. Ultimately, West Virginia officials decided to remain in the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Maryland, like USC, is (was) a charter member of the ACC. Virginia is actually not a charter member of the ACC. The seven schools who founded the league early in 1953 realized the advantages of having an even number of schools in the conference. The ACC ended up extending an invitation to Virginia in the fall of that year, and the Cavs joined in December 1953. Not a charter member, but pretty darned close.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
I am not disputing that Georgia Tech was a member of the Metro Conference. My response was, I was unaware of Georgia Tech being a member of the Metro conference until last night. I mentioned Maryland as a result of thr Terps moving to the Big Ten and no longer part of the ACC.

Where are people getting this FSU in Rock Hill info? Didn't think bball schedule was out

I am not disputing that Georgia Tech was a member of the Metro Conference. My response was, I was unaware of Georgia Tech being a member of the Metro conference until last night. I mentioned Maryland as a result of thr Terps moving to the Big Ten and no longer part of the ACC.
I personally phrase it that I would like to see USC schedule as many contests as they can in as many sports as they can with as many schools who were ACC members at the time of our departure.

Assuming the author of the Wikipedia article is correct, I was unaware of USC getting an invite to join the Metro soon after it's founding and turning it down with hopes of getting back in the ACC. See, I learned something too!

I personally phrase it that I would like to see USC schedule as many contests as they can in as many sports as they can with as many schools who were ACC members at the time of our departure.

Assuming the author of the Wikipedia article is correct, I was unaware of USC getting an invite to join the Metro soon after it's founding and turning it down with hopes of getting back in the ACC. See, I learned something too!
Which means we realized we had committed the most egregious error of all time but we were forced to live with it.

Reactions: atl-cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT