ADVERTISEMENT

GamecockCentral's coaching hot board

I must say I like how the Vandy coach went to Clemson and beat them at Clemson, I would like that trait of knowing how to beat Clemson, in our next coach.

Especially one with a grudge against Clemson for how they handled his beloved JackLeg

Corbin started his career at Presbyterian in 1988 and then coached at Clemson, 1994-2002, a return to the Palmetto state should not be that much of a stretch. Coach was in the state for 14-15 years.

What is his salary? It is Vandy, the smartypants school of the SEC afterall

Last edited:
Reactions: vehemon
O'Connor and Bakich look like the best options as far as body of work and age at 46 and 39yrs old respectively

Shouldn't he be on the list? He's from the Tanner tree. I think he has a better chance that the guys you listed on the JackLeg tree.

Shouldn't he be on the list? He's from the Tanner tree. I think he has a better chance that the guys you listed on the JackLeg tree.
That is a list of 10 potential candidates. Right now, Bakich is turning around the Michigan baseball program. Toman's been out of work a year. That's a heck of a job to jump right into after a year off.

I like the TCU coach, but why would he want to come here? He's already the king of the castle there, and I think they're building a new stadium. He has job security where he can have a "bad year" and not get fired.

IMO, O'Sullivan, Corbin are the two biggest JackLegs on the list. Neither should be on the list 1) because there is virtually no chance they are leaving those other SEC programs to come to Carolina; and 2) they are Jackleg disciples. You cannot argue with Corbin's success, but O'Sullivan teams seem to struggle in the big games. I think Toman has a better shot and would be a better coaching choice for us over O'Sullivan in particular. But who knows what Tanner will do.

Just throwing out Toman because our fans love the guy. He did beat Jackleg's Clemson team 2x in that Columbia regional while coaching at Liberty. Much to our delight.

Thanks for putting together the list. It looks a lot like the one that The State came out with, which makes some of the people (the jacklegs?) on there suspect. I'd like to see two other more likely candidates listed instead of Corbin and O'Sullivan.

Reactions: 92Pony
I read on twitter that Kendall Rogers of d1 baseball told some radio host "don't be surprised" if we get O'Sullivan. TIFWIW

I must say I like how the Vandy coach went to Clemson and beat them at Clemson, I would like that trait of knowing how to beat Clemson, in our next coach.

Especially one with a grudge against Clemson for how they handled his beloved JackLeg

Corbin started his career at Presbyterian in 1988 and then coached at Clemson, 1994-2002, a return to the Palmetto state should not be that much of a stretch. Coach was in the state for 14-15 years.

What is his salary? It is Vandy, the smartypants school of the SEC afterall
why would he leave all that grey matter? he's got the job as long as he wants it & doesn't have 2 put up w/ a bunch of uneducated necks @ vandy

Tennessee just hired the guy from IU.

latest

What about the coach for Kentucky? They have never ever had a good team and I think this is only the 5th time the Wildcats haveemade the playoffs. I think this is his 1st year coaching them also.

Whoever their batting coach is needs to be hired. They have discipline in the box similar to Tanners old wys. A crucial time the coach calls time out and talks to the batter. I use to love when Tanner did that and 90% of the time it worked

Louisville is a nasty town. Which makes what McDonnell has done even more impressive. I hope we at least reach out to him.

What about the coach for Kentucky? They have never ever had a good team and I think this is only the 5th time the Wildcats haveemade the playoffs. I think this is his 1st year coaching them also.

Whoever their batting coach is needs to be hired. They have discipline in the box similar to Tanners old wys. A crucial time the coach calls time out and talks to the batter. I use to love when Tanner did that and 90% of the time it worked
Not with the way they're playing and a new stadium on the way.

Don't know if Tanner would even consider him, but Scott Googins at Xavier has done a tremendous job at a school that didn't have an NCAA tourney win until 2009.
He has made the NCAA's 3 of the last 4 seasons, won 3 Big East tourneys, and an Atlantic 10 regular season and tourney title. The Xavier baseball stadium seats 500, and does not have lights.
His record is slightly below .500 there, but considering the state of that program, he has done wonders.
I thought Tennessee would look hard at him, but they went with the Arky ast. coach.

Louisville is a nasty town. Which makes what McDonnell has done even more impressive. I hope we at least reach out to him.
If money is not an object and we are willing to pay for success, this is the right hire. However, I just don't see us beating his current contact.

Doesn't the NCAA have limits? Or are you saying a bunch of them are on academic scholarships?
The NCAA limit is 11.7 athletic scholarships, but that doesn't include other private scholarships, grants, endowments, and the like that they can offer at Vandy. Being a private University they can enjoy some of the loopholes in the rules. I don't fault them for it at all. I wish we were in the same position.

Reactions: king ward
Don't know if Tanner would even consider him, but Scott Googins at Xavier has done a tremendous job at a school that didn't have an NCAA tourney win until 2009.
He has made the NCAA's 3 of the last 4 seasons, won 3 Big East tourneys, and an Atlantic 10 regular season and tourney title. The Xavier baseball stadium seats 500, and does not have lights.
His record is slightly below .500 there, but considering the state of that program, he has done wonders.
I thought Tennessee would look hard at him, but they went with the Arky ast. coach.
Whoops, just read where Googins accepted the HC job at Cincinnati. Xavier was eliminated Sun. night and he accepted the Cincy job on Tuesday.... That was fast !

The NCAA limit is 11.7 athletic scholarships, but that doesn't include other private scholarships, grants, endowments, and the like that they can offer at Vandy. Being a private University they can enjoy some of the loopholes in the rules. I don't fault them for it at all. I wish we were in the same position.
Thanks. All I can say is that we accomplished some mighty big things without those advantages, and most other teams that go deep into the CWS don't enjoy them either. But I can see why a person might not want to leave that.

ADVERTISEMENT