ADVERTISEMENT

GamecockNation, where are you in this?

Rooster Louie

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
"Things are never as good as they seem. Things are never bad as they seem." - Lou Holtz

Tough situation.

Most folks truly respect SOS: his history, his accomplishments, him as a person, and especially all of his 1st's here at USC.

However, it's extremely tough to ride out this volatility. We've stomached mediocrity. And, we've savored the taste of some success.

Lately however, it appears we're not recruiting as well (de-committments), star ratings, media and recruit comments, and website recruiting rankings,

We're definitely not playing as well (7-6 last year, barely beat a bottom tier ACC team (UNC; and probably should have lost to UNC) and now we've lost to UK.....yes UK, 2 years in a row.

Add in the fact that the state of SC (and beyond) perceives that our arch rival is "set up" and is now out recruiting us (again).....while simultaneously our recruiting is taking a 2 star dip and over to JUCO land.

Many folks (fans and outsiders) sense that we're slipping back toward mediocrity.

Now, beyond of all that.....
add in the fact SOS is 70 years old;
add the assumption (fueled by SOS) that he's here for only 2-3 more years,
add that we're inevitably facing an upcoming coaching change relatively soon,
and add in that we're set to experience some lack of continuity.....

In light (or in the darkeness) of all of this, many fans simply want to "get on with it".

Many simply want to watch SOS ride out the hero he is, followed by quickly getting new blood in here to turn this thing back to good.

Seriously though.
How are we die hard, rabid college football fans who hope, dream, and give for the team supposed to do or feel here?

BOTTOM LINE: we're on a roller coaster ride.
#GamecockNation wants and deserves the best.
Steve Spurrier deserves the respect he's earned and for giving us the best ride we've ever had.

Moving forward......hopefully, Lou Holtz's old tired saying IS a foundational truth:

"Things are never as good as they seem. (Highs) Things are never bad as they seem." (Lows)

GO GAMECOCKS! Stay real #GamecockNation.

Reactions: cockydev
3269050-4417727653-170553d1362928150-necks-av-pure-vintage-64-compared-60s-mim-classic-3240092_com_3192526_man_eating_popcorn_while_watching_movie-jpg

"Things are never as good as they seem. Things are never bad as they seem." - Lou Holtz

Right as rain, that Lou Holtz.

I've used that as my m.o. ever since he said it.

...followed by quickly getting new blood in here to turn this thing back to good.

You speak that like it's fact. Bringing in a new coach has always been so successful for us, I can see how you would assume that. Then you look at teams like UT, who's fans thought similarly about Fulmer and how that move worked out so well for them. Just like bringing in recruits, bringing in a new coach is a gamble. Given the hand of cards this program has typically sat at the table with, you'd be a damned fool to take that kind of gamble at this point. How about let's see how the season plays out already? The stupidity is baffling.

Reactions: Tigerof66
SOS has done amazing things for this program, things that a lot of people in the media publicly stated could not be done. But what he also did that no other coach before him has done is put the taste of winning big in our mouth. Clemson is getting the same thing right now for the first time in 30 years. That taste of, we can not only play but beat anyone and the exception that we would. Not a hope, not a wait until next year, but the real taste of a winner. That is why this slide is so much harder than it would have been 10 years ago. The expection of greatness was not yet known. Gamecock Nation had only tasted kind of good regardless of how far the fan went back. SOS gave put us on the top shelf, which is why the fall is so much farther to the bottom. Even when the bottom is the average of his predecessor.

I am not sure how to pull out of this. SOS must leave on his own is the only way and pay we can get a coach that do exactly what Spurrier had to do 10 years ago. Take an average team and build them up again. I do not think Carolina can get the coach we need if we push him out. He is too much of a legend. But lets be realistic, the next coach would be stepping in exactly what Spurrier did. The talent is not better than that, otherwise, the staff would not have felt the need to pull so many from the juco ranks this past year for a short term gain.

The difference between Lou leaving and SOS leaving is that when Lou left, we did not know what we were missing and now it is all we can think about

Reactions: LazyIslander

Tough situation.

Most folks truly respect SOS: his history, his accomplishments, him as a person, and especially all of his 1st's here at USC.

However, it's extremely tough to ride out this volatility. We've stomached mediocrity. And, we've savored the taste of some success.

Lately however, it appears we're not recruiting as well (de-committments), star ratings, media and recruit comments, and website recruiting rankings,

We're definitely not playing as well (7-6 last year, barely beat a bottom tier ACC team (UNC; and probably should have lost to UNC) and now we've lost to UK.....yes UK, 2 years in a row.

Add in the fact that the state of SC (and beyond) perceives that our arch rival is "set up" and is now out recruiting us (again).....while simultaneously our recruiting is taking a 2 star dip and over to JUCO land.

Many folks (fans and outsiders) sense that we're slipping back toward mediocrity.

Now, beyond of all that.....
add in the fact SOS is 70 years old;
add the assumption (fueled by SOS) that he's here for only 2-3 more years,
add that we're inevitably facing an upcoming coaching change relatively soon,
and add in that we're set to experience some lack of continuity.....

In light (or in the darkeness) of all of this, many fans simply want to "get on with it".

Many simply want to watch SOS ride out the hero he is, followed by quickly getting new blood in here to turn this thing back to good.

Seriously though.
How are we die hard, rabid college football fans who hope, dream, and give for the team supposed to do or feel here?

BOTTOM LINE: we're on a roller coaster ride.
#GamecockNation wants and deserves the best.
Steve Spurrier deserves the respect he's earned and for giving us the best ride we've ever had.

Moving forward......hopefully, Lou Holtz's old tired saying IS a foundational truth:

"Things are never as good as they seem. (Highs) Things are never bad as they seem." (Lows)

GO GAMECOCKS! Stay real #GamecockNation.
u a skinny white boy! it was good 2c u n the queen city.

i believe spurrier is here as long as he wants to be.....i can guarantee you tanner doesnt want to tell him to leave.....another 3/4 yrs of what we witnessed last year, than maybe....but right now, em no

We need to keep the 2016 recruiting class intact. McIlwain is the future and the most important element going forward. I say this for 1 reason. No way in hell, would we have gone 11-2 for 3 straight seasons w/o Connor Shaw. QB is the most important position in college football and makes all the difference in the world.

Whatever keeps McIlwain a Gamecock, is what I want to happen.

Reactions: bmhood1984
We need to keep the 2016 recruiting class intact. McIlwain is the future and the most important element going forward. I say this for 1 reason. No way in hell, would we have gone 11-2 for 3 straight seasons w/o Connor Shaw. QB is the most important position in college football and makes all the difference in the world.

Whatever keeps McIlwain a Gamecock, is what I want to happen.

Keep the 2016 recruiting class in tact?

Now I've heard it all.

What we need is a coach that works 12 months out of the year.

Reactions: shorecock
THIS STUFF should all be discussed during the OFF-SEASON ... not in 'September' with the entire season in front of us. WHO among you thinks Spurrier should be 'let go' ala' Tommy Bowden mid-season? THAT would NEVER HAPPEN (nor SHOULD IT) - and to KEEP 'bringing it up' while the season is going on is harmful to our football team IMHO.
Fans, ANY fan (including ME) who thinks he knows how to do things any better should submit those thoughts to the AD in writing NOT seek 'opinions' of others (essentially INVITING Spurrier haters to unload) with essentially the ENTIRE season still to play.
Just my $ .02 cents.
USC was like a parking lot with no car in it. Spurrier got us a ride. THEN he talked a few people into helping him 'fix it up' (MOST fans had VERY LITTLE to do with it) and now everyone wants to say who should drive.
Nobody seems satisfied to just go along for the ride ... they want to 'give directions'.
WHAT qualifies anyone to do that? We've never HAD a car like the one we've been blessed with. I just don't get it.
SO MANY 'backseat' drivers ... well-intentioned, or not. Steve Erkel was 'well-intentioned' ... but he spent a LOT of time asking: "Did I do THAT?!!!"

Reactions: Tigerof66
i believe spurrier is here as long as he wants to be.....i can guarantee you tanner doesnt want to tell him to leave.....another 3/4 yrs of what we witnessed last year, than maybe....but right now, em no

Very slippery slop when you let someone dictate their own employment. Spurrier needs to know he's not above the hot seat. Can you imagine running a business like that? knowing I can't be fired is not the best motional tool. Just my opinion.

USC was like a parking lot with no car in it. Spurrier got us a ride. THEN he talked a few people into helping him 'fix it up' (MOST fans had VERY LITTLE to do with it) and now everyone wants to say who should drive.
Nobody seems satisfied to just go along for the ride ... they want to 'give directions'.

I will get on a bus and just let that driver go, but if I start looking around and see that he has taken me into the dumpster fire part of town when I was supposed to be in the Vista, I am sure as hell going to start speaking my mind. I do not know how to drive the bus and am not qualified to drive the bus, but I know when the bus is going the wrong direction

Reactions: Edistoplayer
I will get on a bus and just let that driver go, but if I start looking around and see that he has taken me into the dumpster fire part of town when I was supposed to be in the Vista, I am sure as hell going to start speaking my mind. I do not know how to drive the bus and am not qualified to drive the bus, but I know when the bus is going the wrong direction

Buses run regular routes. If you're in the wrong part of town YOU got on the wrong bus ... if the front sign says 'Vista' just stay in your dam* seat and the driver, who DOES know what he's doing - will get you there.

Very slippery slop when you let someone dictate their own employment. Spurrier needs to know he's not above the hot seat. Can you imagine running a business like that? knowing I can't be fired is not the best motional tool. Just my opinion.
oh i agree....i just dont think tanner has the nads to do it....i think its gotten to the point where it almost feels like he has tenure and theres nothing anyone is going to do....i hope that's not the case, but thats the vibe im getn

Reactions: shorecock
Buses run regular routes. If you're in the wrong part of town YOU got on the wrong bus ... if the front sign says 'Vista' just stay in your dam* seat and the driver, who DOES know what he's doing - will get you there.

That is my whole point SS, my driver in on the wrong route

oh i agree....i just dont think tanner has the nads to do it....i think its gotten to the point where it almost feels like he has tenure and theres nothing anyone is going to do....i hope that's not the case, but thats the vibe im getn

South Carolina wasn't Spurrier's 'employer' we were his bank ... HE BUILT the company (paying the 'bank' LOTS of 'interest').

'Bama and Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Notre Dame ... THOSE are 'Employers' ... we didn't even 'exist' on the football map before SOS.

You're like Tommy Lee Jones in 'The Betsy' ... the 'old man' built the company but you want to throw him out now that dividends are available for distribution.

South Carolina wasn't Spurrier's 'employer' we were his bank ... HE BUILT the company (paying the 'bank' LOTS of 'interest').

'Bama and Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Notre Dame ... THOSE are 'Employers' ... we didn't even 'exist' on the football map before SOS.

You're like Tommy Lee Jones in 'The Betsy' ... the 'old man' built the company but you want to throw him out now that dividends are available for distribution.
no suites i dont want to get rid of him just yet....hes got this season left first

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT