ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks and Turnovers

nismo29630

Jul 1, 2005
Nashville, TN
Just a interesting stat. The Gamecocks rank tied for 13 in the NCAA in Turnover Margin according to http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/29 and third in the SEC. The two teams ahead of us, Kentucky and Alabama, at tied with us with 13 takeaways. I am sure last week helped but I like how the defense is trending. Now we need to make hell for Tennessee this Saturday to make that number even better.

Problem is have a hard time capitalizing. We are awful at placekicker and o line. Makes red zone production difficult.

I think the aggressive style we play on defense has contributed to that. You saw it a little bit last year and this year you're seeing more of it. If we can ever get some d-line depth and some luck with avoiding injuries we should be back to the days of having a stout defense like we enjoyed for years. This is easily the best defense we've had in 4 years by far.

Problem is have a hard time capitalizing. We are awful at placekicker and o line. Makes red zone production difficult.
OLine showed improvement last week. They were firing off the ball getting an advantage on the DL. Hopefully that will continue and will lead to a better 3rd down conversion rate as the coaches get more confidence in them.

PK does well inside 40 yards. Just can't venture outside that. He's got a strong leg, but is inaccurate as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT