ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks, Give4Garnet Campaign! No donation too small or too large!

You know I can't think of another business that asks people to give them money for nothing after they've purchased the product and the transaction for the service is complete. Tuition has skyrocketed over the past couple of decades and the prices for tickets to athletic events have escalated to levels that make it unaffordable for a lot of people. We continue to build fortresses to the gods for both academic and athletic facilities and and yet produce graduates who can't balance a checkbook much less find a job. Something in all this just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
We continue to build fortresses to the gods for both academic and athletic facilities and and yet produce graduates who can't balance a checkbook much less find a job. Something in all this just doesn't make sense to me.

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I landed a job straight out of my undergraduate degree. Graduated in May and started on June 26th. I worked hard in my classes and did A LOT of volunteer work, as well as numerous hours of unpaid internships. This is not to say that you didn't; it is only my personal experience.

My time at Carolina prepared me very well and provided me with essentially all of the resources that I needed to land a good job - and that is simply not possible without the funding behind it.

Reactions: Rooster Louie
I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I landed a job straight out of my undergraduate degree. Graduated in May and started on June 26th. I worked hard in my classes and did A LOT of volunteer work, as well as numerous hours of unpaid internships. This is not to say that you didn't; it is only my personal experience.

My time at Carolina prepared me very well and provided me with essentially all of the resources that I needed to land a good job - and that is simply not possible without the funding behind it.

Very courteous reply. I can appreciate your view. I may be looking at it the wrong way but take this example. If I buy a John Deere tractor to start a lawn service business that becomes successful in part due to the wonderful equipment I purchased from John Deere, I'm not going to send them money year after year so that they can continue to pump out better tractors. When I graduated in 1983, in my view, we were even. They got my money I got a diploma. Anyway just my thoughts.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Very courteous reply. I can appreciate your view. I may be looking at it the wrong way but take this example. If I buy a John Deere tractor to start a lawn service business that becomes successful in part due to the wonderful equipment I purchased from John Deere, I'm not going to send them money year after year so that they can continue to pump out better tractors. When I graduated in 1983, in my view, we were even. They got my money I got a diploma. Anyway just my thoughts.

I would argue you received more value from the university than just what you paid in tuition. Alumni and other friends of the university had donated before you arrived to fund endowed professorships, facilities where you studied and the endowment in general. Without these benefactors, you would have needed to pay more.

While you are not obligated to help the next generation of students, it certainly helps strengthen the university when successful alumni choose to do so.

Reactions: Rooster Louie

Great job in your undergraduate work and it's great to see that you are well on your way. I am deeply concerned about the crippling amount of student loan debt so many young (and not so young) people are carrying today. Assuming you have student loan debt, without disclosing your income or your total debt on this board, would you mind disclosing the ratio of your annual income to total student loan debt?

I have friends who are 40 years old and still carrying around the ball and chain of student loan debt from undergrad and law school. Some of them are Gamecock Club members and even "give back" to academic programs of the university. I'm glad it makes them feel good to support their school and their sentiment is noble. But it makes ZERO financial sense to make charitable contributions to the University they haven't even finished paying off.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Great job in your undergraduate work and it's great to see that you are well on your way. I am deeply concerned about the crippling amount of student loan debt so many young (and not so young) people are carrying today. Assuming you have student loan debt, without disclosing your income or your total debt on this board, would you mind disclosing the ratio of your annual income to total student loan debt?

I have friends who are 40 years old and still carrying around the ball and chain of student loan debt from undergrad and law school. Some of them are Gamecock Club members and even "give back" to academic programs of the university. I'm glad it makes them feel good to support their school and their sentiment is noble. But it makes ZERO financial sense to make charitable contributions to the University they haven't even finished paying off.

You make a very good point. I was fortunate enough to graduate with zero debt. This was due to receiving and maintaining the SC LIFE Scholarship, as well as being eligible for dependent benefits under what is called the Chapter 33 GI Bill through the Veterans Services office.

Good points.... I will say though that student loan debt is not due the university. It's due a lender. The university got that money the year the student attended.
Tucker Carlson is doing a five part series on whether the cost of college is really worth it for a lot of students given the ratio of which you speak. It's an interesting five part series that airs each Wednesday.
Honestly if costs continue to rise and the availability of online alternatives continues to grow I can see attendance at 4 year schools falling in the coming years.
College is not for everyone.

You know I can't think of another business that asks people to give them money for nothing after they've purchased the product and the transaction for the service is complete. Tuition has skyrocketed over the past couple of decades and the prices for tickets to athletic events have escalated to levels that make it unaffordable for a lot of people. We continue to build fortresses to the gods for both academic and athletic facilities and and yet produce graduates who can't balance a checkbook much less find a job. Something in all this just doesn't make sense to me.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT