ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks land star FCS transfer QB

Huge if for no other reason than depth. But, I suspect he’ll compete for the starting position.

I am NOT a scout or a coach, but there are a couple of things that I notice. He eyeballs his primary target and rarely checks down. He has an unorthodox throwing motion and throws off his back foot often. He is pretty accurate throwing on the run, even to his opposite side. His oline gives him plenty of time to get rid of the ball. His numbers are undeniable. If he were playing against high school competition with those numbers, people would be drooling all over him. I hope he works out and has a great career here. Go Cocks.

Reactions: usc1game
I am NOT a scout or a coach, but there are a couple of things that I notice. He eyeballs his primary target and rarely checks down. He has an unorthodox throwing motion and throws off his back foot often. He is pretty accurate throwing on the run, even to his opposite side. His oline gives him plenty of time to get rid of the ball. His numbers are undeniable. If he were playing against high school competition with those numbers, people would be drooling all over him. I hope he works out and has a great career here. Go Cocks.
I don't like him. He didn't play at a D1 school.

Odds are he's not going to come in and tear it up here. Maybe we found one of the handful of FCS players who can play in the SEC. We probably didn't, but you never know. However, we need bodies in the QB room and there's not much to be had. If he comes in and excels and wins the starting job, that's a bonus. If he only serves in a backup role, well, that's most likely what Beamer has in mind anyway so it's not a loss. It makes more sense to go with an experienced FCS player than a 2* HS QB. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've watched film on this kid and have yet to see him scramble or run a designed run play. I thought we were moving toward dual threat QBs. He's yet another pro-style. But I understand we need bodies.

Reactions: Gradstudent
I've watched film on this kid and have yet to see him scramble or run a designed run play. I thought we were moving toward dual threat QBs. He's yet another pro-style. But I understand we need bodies.
Did Beamer say that we are moving to dual threat? Just asking.

He's probably going to play because our O line not so hot at pass blocking.

I don't like him. He didn't play at a D1 school.
Well what do you expect? Beamer's in over his head. We should have done what UTen did.
This is what you get when we hire cheap.
DefenselessIdleChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
Reactions: caughtlookin
I don’t think they are looking for a running QB. This kid looks mobile but the key is every time he moving he’s looking to go downfield with the ball. His scrambling is moving in the pocket and when flushed out he is still looking for receivers.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Sorta throws like Philip Rivers.

I don’t think they are looking for a running QB. This kid looks mobile but the key is every time he moving he’s looking to go downfield with the ball. His scrambling is moving in the pocket and when flushed out he is still looking for receivers.
Look again he had a play when he ran once and seems to spin away from pressure okay but the SEC ain't Saint Francis but he can make all the throws and didn't look slow on the run but again the SEC DB is faster. I like the arm though.

Sorta throws like Philip Rivers.
Beat me to it, lol! Seriously though, a lot of big-time college programs passed on Rivers because of that. Passed up a guy who became a great NL QB who will most likely be in the NFL HOF. You never know....but this kid has had pro scouts looking at him already. That big WR has a ton of potential, a lot more than he’s had to show against the competition he’s played against. Be interesting to see what Stepp can do with him. Both add some quality depth where we need it most.

Reactions: jimnasium
Well what do you expect? Beamer's in over his head. We should have done what UTen did.
This is what you get when we hire cheap.
DefenselessIdleChanticleer-size_restricted.gif
Don't forget, the BOT is not interested in winning and the AD doesn't know what he is doing.

Look again he had a play when he ran once and seems to spin away from pressure okay but the SEC ain't Saint Francis but he can make all the throws and didn't look slow on the run but again the SEC DB is faster. I like the arm though.
There is only one full game I could find on YouTube of SFU vs Delaware State. I don't think he ran the ball the entire game. Definitely a pocket passer with some decent, but not great, mobility. Good arm with a fast release. Got some arm talent but is not dual threat

He adds some competition in the QB room, definitely can use some coaching. But he keeps his eyes downfield while scrambling, have to see more how he goes through progressions. Could develop into something interesting.

The 6’8” WR looks intriguing. At least from the film he has good hands, and he’s deceptively fast. Makes a huge mismatch in short yardage and goal line situations, but the QB’s are going to have to practice a LOT with him to get their timing to where he can high point the ball.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Jason is listed as 6'4" 230. In the clip, he's moving around the pocket, stepping up in the pocket, and even takes off on a nice run. I love that flick of the wrist throwing motion. Good prospect!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT