ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks land star FCS transfer QB

I am NOT a scout or a coach, but there are a couple of things that I notice. He eyeballs his primary target and rarely checks down. He has an unorthodox throwing motion and throws off his back foot often. He is pretty accurate throwing on the run, even to his opposite side. His oline gives him plenty of time to get rid of the ball. His numbers are undeniable. If he were playing against high school competition with those numbers, people would be drooling all over him. I hope he works out and has a great career here. Go Cocks.
Thats why you work at Walmart and arent a college coach.

Look again he had a play when he ran once and seems to spin away from pressure okay but the SEC ain't Saint Francis but he can make all the throws and didn't look slow on the run but again the SEC DB is faster. I like the arm though.
I did see the one run but overall the rest of his movement was always geared towards moving the ball downfield. I get that the SEC speed is different but pocket presence is a hard thing to teach. Some people have it and some don’t and in that clip he moved in pocket never taking his eyes off the receiver. We just watched 10 games where I don’t believe that ever happened.

Reactions: jimnasium
Give the kid a chance. Not as mobile as Doty but has experience at the collegiate level. Better arm talent than Doty to me. Add in a 6'8" receiver he is comfortable with and it could be good. Just throw it at the goal post crossbar in the red zone and let him go get it.

Thats why you work at Walmart and arent a college coach.

But I walk by the electronics section on my way to scrubbing the toilets and see the video game section daily. I have learned enough by watching high school kids play that I'm sure I can coach em up. If they can find me when I'm not kneeling by the urinals I'm sure they'd offer me an analyst job at least.

We needed another QB to take snaps no matter how this works out so I’m glad to have him at this point. If a guy can slide in the pocket I don’t think he has to be a tremendous runner but our O line unfortunately doesn’t give much time to move around.

I don't like him. He didn't play at a D1 school.
He did play at a Division I school. FCS is Division I, previously known as Division I AA. I sometimes torment my UGA friends by asking them if they know the only team in Georgia to have won an NCAA Division I football national championship. They always claim that both Georgia and Ga. Tech have won, but they are wrong. They won AP or coaches championships because the NCAA did not name Div. I football champions until the playoff system began. So the answer to the question is Georgia Southern, who won six In FCS before moving to FBS, formerly known as Division I A.

Reactions: bcs bound
ScientificClassicHarrierhawk-small.gif
I suspect effort will be much better. IDK about actual effectiveness. But we've been hearing for quite some time that effort was not the problem. You can't drop that many passes with decent effort.

We needed another QB to take snaps no matter how this works out so I’m glad to have him at this point. If a guy can slide in the pocket I don’t think he has to be a tremendous runner but our O line unfortunately doesn’t give much time to move around.
Really? Which one? I wipe carts at the one in Pelion.

Well you can put a mobile guy in any offense and it could be considered dual threat (semantics).
Look at Sooners' QB stats and you get an idea. Check '19 & '18.

It's a very misleading stat because most rushing stats by QBs are actually sacks. A lot of QBs have a negative rushing yardage that weren't even running. 160 yards to the positive is a good thing, especially of Rattler is not a dual threat QB. Trevor Lawrence is a "pro-style" QB who is very mobile.

Last edited:
It's a very misleading stat because most rushing stats by QBs are actually sacks. A lot of QBs have a negative rushing yardage that weren't even running. 160 yards to the positive is a good thing, especially of Rattler is not a dual threat QB. Trevor Lawrence is a "pro-style" QB who is very mobile.
Before Rattler, was Murray then Mayfield...they got lots of yards. No way Shane is not a mobile QB guy.

From TOS ( not pay walled):

Hey guys just joined your board, was waiting for J and EJ to make things official. I coached these guys in HS and helped them throughout both recruiting processes. and wanted to give you some insight on these guys.

You have picked up 2 guys who are tireless workers who are going to bring great attitude and effort everyday. Jason had some terrible luck with recruiting coming out of HS, He broke his leg at the end of his JR season so during spring evaluations coaches saw him on crutches the whole period. He also had 2 staffs get fired his JR year who were close to pulling the trigger in Maryland and UVA. Jason was high on PSU's board as well but they landed an early commit from Sean Clifford. Jason was 2 time MVP at PSU's 7v7 camp we attended as an HS.

With EJ he was 6'6 190 pounds as a senior, we couldn't put weight on him due to extenuating circumstances. We told coaches he'd put 25-30 pounds as soon as he went into a weight program, he rarely lifted in HS as he was a standout in basketball (so was Jason) and track athlete. EJ did have ODU and Ohio offers on NSD that were committable but he opted to stay with Jason instead.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the community while the boys are on campus, thanks for embracing them, I know they will give you 100% as soon as they move in this weekend, I know Jason is already talking about organizing 7v7s as soon as possible with the skill players.

Last thing I'll say is I think you have the right staff to turn this thing around, I was very impressed with the care the staff put into this, even if it meant Jason and EJ ended up elsewhere they didn't want to screw them out of a season in the fall. I will be bringing prospects to SC every summer as long as the staff is in place because I know kids will be taken care of under these guys going forward

We are in some trouble if we are getting excited about all of these FCS players. If we don’t get a few good WRs or Lbers we are going to to get boat raced. It’s going to be another ugly year.
So you know that Brown from Ga Tech and Jenkins the 6 ft 8 Wr are unable to compete in our conference?
Point is you nor anyone have a clue how any of new additions will play and if these new gamecocks will cause our team to be boat raced
We just have to trust our new coaches until proven other wise

Reactions: Flameout12
Odds are he's not going to come in and tear it up here. Maybe we found one of the handful of FCS players who can play in the SEC. We probably didn't, but you never know. However, we need bodies in the QB room and there's not much to be had. If he comes in and excels and wins the starting job, that's a bonus. If he only serves in a backup role, well, that's most likely what Beamer has in mind anyway so it's not a loss. It makes more sense to go with an experienced FCS player than a 2* HS QB. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I can live with this synopsis. I just pray I won't hear too much of the flip side argument where he is likened to Tony Romo and I have a near meltdown.

Reactions: DibbleDee
From TOS ( not pay walled):

Hey guys just joined your board, was waiting for J and EJ to make things official. I coached these guys in HS and helped them throughout both recruiting processes. and wanted to give you some insight on these guys.

You have picked up 2 guys who are tireless workers who are going to bring great attitude and effort everyday. Jason had some terrible luck with recruiting coming out of HS, He broke his leg at the end of his JR season so during spring evaluations coaches saw him on crutches the whole period. He also had 2 staffs get fired his JR year who were close to pulling the trigger in Maryland and UVA. Jason was high on PSU's board as well but they landed an early commit from Sean Clifford. Jason was 2 time MVP at PSU's 7v7 camp we attended as an HS.

With EJ he was 6'6 190 pounds as a senior, we couldn't put weight on him due to extenuating circumstances. We told coaches he'd put 25-30 pounds as soon as he went into a weight program, he rarely lifted in HS as he was a standout in basketball (so was Jason) and track athlete. EJ did have ODU and Ohio offers on NSD that were committable but he opted to stay with Jason instead.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the community while the boys are on campus, thanks for embracing them, I know they will give you 100% as soon as they move in this weekend, I know Jason is already talking about organizing 7v7s as soon as possible with the skill players.

Last thing I'll say is I think you have the right staff to turn this thing around, I was very impressed with the care the staff put into this, even if it meant Jason and EJ ended up elsewhere they didn't want to screw them out of a season in the fall. I will be bringing prospects to SC every summer as long as the staff is in place because I know kids will be taken care of under these guys going forward
This answers a lot of questions! Thank you for finding and posting Feeble!

We are in some trouble if we are getting excited about all of these FCS players. If we don’t get a few good WRs or Lbers we are going to to get boat raced. It’s going to be another ugly year.
You are a POS troll. You know nothing more about how they will do here than anyone else and are too stupid to look beyond where they come from when evaluating their abilities. Every post you make is some obnoxious whiney bitchfest dragging our staff, our players or the players who want to commit here. I am sure the rest of your life is as miserable as the garbage you post here and you deserve that.

Reactions: carolinamyke
Doty is the presumptive starter.

Beamer's most likely intent in bringing Brown in just to fill out the QB room, though he will certainly be given the opportunity to compete. If he comes in and lights it up and gets the starting nod or significant backup playing time, that's a bonus. I could potentially see him serving as backup to allow Gauthier to red shirt, but Gauthier would have to pretty far behind in his development, especially with the 4-game rule.

As I noted above, for the most likely role that Brown will play, it makes more sense at this point in the recruiting cycle to just pick up an experienced FCS player than to take some 2* high school QB.

Reactions: king ward

Beamer's most likely intent in bringing Brown in just to fill out the QB room, though he will certainly be given the opportunity to compete. If he comes in and lights it up and gets the starting nod or significant backup playing time, that's a bonus. I could potentially see him serving as backup to allow Gauthier to red shirt, but Gauthier would have to pretty far behind in his development, especially with the 4-game rule.

As I noted above, for the most likely role that Brown will play, it makes more sense at this point in the recruiting cycle to just pick up an experienced FCS player than to take some 2* high school QB.
We’re bringing in the guys that want to be here. I couldn’t care less about their stars.

Reactions: jimnasium
We’re bringing in the guys that want to be here. I couldn’t care less about their stars.

I understand that rationale to a point. We had a bunch of guys on the team last year that weren't invested in the program. That being said, obviously there are thousands of crappy high school football players out there who aren't getting any college offers at all. They would LOVE to play here. Simply wanting to be here isn't a sufficient enough criteria on its own. It's obviously having talented players who want to be here.

I understand that rationale to a point. We had a bunch of guys on the team last year that weren't invested in the program. That being said, obviously there are thousands of crappy high school football players out there who aren't getting any college offers at all. They would LOVE to play here. Simply wanting to be here isn't a sufficient enough criteria on its own. It's obviously having talented players who want to be here.

Okaaaaaay!! You are right it’s not all that matters!!! Hopeful they can play a little too!

Reactions: DibbleDee
It should be interesting to see what EJ does after being in our S&C for a while. He could be an Alshon type WR.

It should be interesting to see what EJ does after being in our S&C for a while. He could be an Alshon type WR.
Alson+ 5” and he is thicker... I am interested to see what he can do. If he has decent hands, at that size... He is a threat in the redzone whether in Highschool, FCS or SEC!

What coach is going out asking crappy players who just want to be here to come play? From what I have seen all these players can play or they wouldn't be coming here. You missed the point.

What coach is going out asking crappy players who just want to be here to come play? From what I have seen all these players can play or they wouldn't be coming here. You missed the point.

The post to which I was responding said "We’re bringing in the guys that want to be here. I couldn’t care less about their stars." To take that statement at face value means we'd be happy with a team of only 2* guys who just want to play here. Heck, you could field a team comprised 100% of in-state players who want to play here. They'd run through a brick wall to be a Gamecock.

It's just one of those things people say but don't really mean.

We're numbers-challenged. I think these two players represent no downside. The wide receiver especially could prove a visible asset.

Maybe they will work out, maybe they won't - pretty much the same thing you can say about any recruit/enrollee. I welcome the out-of-the-box thinking and innovation of going after some guys who might be overlooked. We're going to have to have some of that if this program is to get turned around, especially during this transition year when traditional recruiting was blown up. Nobody is betting their life savings on these guys being eventual NFL players but they look like they have at least as much potential as any HS recruits we would be in contention for at this point.

No one will be happier than me if the QB turns out to be the real deal.
St. Francis has only ever scheduled one FBS opponent. If I'm not mistaken, that game is yet to be played. It's for certain this young man will be introduced to a faster game against better athletes in more daunting environments than he has ever seen. We'll just have to see if he can rise to the challenge.

St. Francis has only ever scheduled one FBS opponent. If I'm not mistaken, that game is yet to be played. It's for certain this young man will be introduced to a faster game against better athletes in more daunting environments than he has ever seen. We'll just have to see if he can rise to the challenge.

I imagine the difference in speed will initially be shocking.

Reactions: king ward
You are a POS troll. You know nothing more about how they will do here than anyone else and are too stupid to look beyond where they come from when evaluating their abilities. Every post you make is some obnoxious whiney bitchfest dragging our staff, our players or the players who want to commit here. I am sure the rest of your life is as miserable as the garbage you post here and you deserve that.
I didn’t say they will suck. Just saying other teams get players that have played with big time competition. In basketball it works out a lot but this is totally different. I’m pulling for them of course.

Is it safe to assume most these guys we taking in this year is at least equal or better than the ones that left?

ADVERTISEMENT