ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks name Hill QB1

Gimpy McHill transferred here b/c he knew he wouldn't get the starting gig at CSU with the new coach. His only chance was to follow Bobo here. Bobo wants "his" guy in there, so that's who we're stuck with. Bobo's first major decision is a flop. Not a good sign for the offense this season.

Oh but wait, Ryan was a WARRIOR for playing last year hurt right? What does it tell you if he still isn't starting over a guy that is "Gimpy" using your word choice? You've pointed out in several post, and I've come back with facts showing his overall performance last year was bottom tier in the SEC and nation. Those are facts. He had a great half against Georgia and a great half against Bama. How did he do against TAM, Mizzou, Tennessee, App St?

Don't act like a Heisman finalist just got bench for a waterboy. Had we had anybody else last year that could've played QB effectively, Ryan would've been benched then.

Reactions: Tmac069
Clearly you aren’t aware of the Muschamp Effect for QBs.

Dizzy at some point, we are either going to have to trust the Bobo hire and development, or we need to cut bait from Muschamp and staff.

Do I think Hill is all SEC caliber? Nope. But I believe he will be asked to not lose us games, get us in the right plays, and manage the game and chains. I think he'll be better than Ryan showed the last 60% of the year.

Gimpy McHill transferred here b/c he knew he wouldn't get the starting gig at CSU with the new coach. His only chance was to follow Bobo here. Bobo wants "his" guy in there, so that's who we're stuck with. Bobo's first major decision is a flop. Not a good sign for the offense this season. The decision was certainly made based on loyalty...just to the wrong guy.
I find it hard to believe Muschamp and Bobo would pick a QB who wasn't playing better to start...especially when they are coaching to keep their jobs. I'm thinking Hill has a short leach. I can't remember the last time when the first game of the year is do or die, which IMO the Tenn game is. This is a must win for the Cocks in order to have a successful season. You lose to Tenn and we are staring down a 3-7 season...and no one keeps their job after that.

I feel bad for Ryan and his family for real. Can’t say I’m surprised with the way things played out though. Bobo told us early how he felt about Hilinski as a quarterback, and I knew there wasn’t enough time for Ryan to develop into what Bobo wanted. I was hoping Muschamp kept Bobby Bentley as QB coach, because I think Bentley could’ve helped Ryan reach his full potential.

Some of you whiners are truly amazing! Do you really believe the coaches making this decision (only one - Bobo) aren't choosing the guy who gives us the best chance to make this new offense work? Obviously, none of you doubters ever saw Hill play in high school at Dorman, or else you wouldn't be writing some of the idiotic comments about him. For the last month, we've been hearing receivers, defensive backs, other Gamecock teammates and even Todd Ellis rave (without solicitation) about this young man's ability to throw with power, accuracy and touch, yet some of you little girls have your lips pushed out because he won the QB battle .... for now, at least. Of course he knows Bobo's offense better, and no, he wasn't one of your precious 5 stars coming out of high school. He was only a 3 for all the "star queers" on the site, but then maybe some of us have forgotten about a young man named Connor!! As for his knee surgeries, that is certainly a legitimate concern for us all, but if the QB race was indeed that close, then Ryan is ready to jump in when needed. I just want to win, and Bobo has a proven record as a play caller and an OC, so I'm excited to have anything new at this point!

We all get it, you love RH... but explain how he deserves better? He got beat out for his position. In a sense, it sounds like you are wanting to award him a "participation trophy" start because he had to play as a true freshman. You honestly think that a coach is going to start a guy who they don't believe is the best guy to start, because of loyalty???

And for those who want to talk about Hill isn't an SEC qb, the only reason we didn't offer him out of Dorman HS was because we had Brandon McIllwain already slated to come in. Bobo had been recruiting Hill from his days at Georgia. I trust Bobo's ability to judge a QB.

To play devils advocate, you can trust Mike Bobo all you want but to me he will still be the guy that decided to let HUTSON MASON throw the ball from first and goal at the 4 instead of giving it to:
A. Todd Gurley
B. Nick Chubb
C. Sony Michel

This against a Lorenzo Ward defense. I was glad that day for the outcome but trust me when I tell you Mike Bobo needs to earn trust, not be given it.

To play devils advocate, you can trust Mike Bobo all you want but to me he will still be the guy that decided to let HUTSON MASON throw the ball from first and goal at the 4 instead of giving it to:
A. Todd Gurley
B. Nick Chubb
C. Sony Michel

This against a Lorenzo Ward defense. I was glad that day for the outcome but trust me when I tell you Mike Bobo needs to earn trust, not be given it.

I agree with you. At the same time, I'm not saying every play call he has made has been correct, but I would think he can judge a QB competition. Hill has now earned the right to start, with RH backing him up. If Hill flops, then thankfully we have a QB that is ready to come in and compete and get the job done. If he can't then move on down the line.

Last edited:
A. Todd Gurley
B. Nick Chubb
C. Sony Michel

I don’t think much of Bobo “myself, but he knows what a quarterback should look like. I trust his decision about who should be starting; as for his play calling ability, and him being our offensive coordinator I’m not to pumped about that.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I agree with you. At the same time, I'm not saying even play call he has made has been correct, but I would think he can judge a QB competition. Hill has now earned the right to start, with RH backing him up. If Hill flops, then thankfully we have a QB that is ready to come in and compete and get the job done. If he can't then move on down the line.

Good point. I’ll even hammer away at my own argument and admit any play caller could look bad on any one play call.

Reactions: Cocky4SC and Brace1
I feel bad for Ryan and his family for real. Can’t say I’m surprised with the way things played out though. Bobo told us early how he felt about Hilinski as a quarterback, and I knew there wasn’t enough time for Ryan to develop into what Bobo wanted. I was hoping Muschamp kept Bobby Bentley as QB coach, because I think Bentley could’ve helped Ryan reach his full potential.

As a Gamecock fan of 60 years, it has me really upset.

Dizzy at some point, we are either going to have to trust the Bobo hire and development, or we need to cut bait from Muschamp and staff.

Do I think Hill is all SEC caliber? Nope. But I believe he will be asked to not lose us games, get us in the right plays, and manage the game and chains. I think he'll be better than Ryan showed the last 60% of the year.
Unfortunately our most likely outcome is watch the offense continue to flounder and wait for the next OC that Muschamp hires to finally be the right one.

People keep pointing to the fact that he started at CSU. Newsflash.....they were 7-17 last two years.

If we step back, switch the names out of it along with the school they played... say RH was a transfer, everyone would look at his stats and say... "he is nothing spectacular" "he was 4-7 as a starter and had a loss to App St" "he isn't an SEC qb" "Statistically, he was near the bottom in the SEC in the major categories, why would we want him?"

I don't care if it is Hill or RH3 starting. I just want to freaking win. WHoever gives us the best chance to do so, then start them. If they flop, next guy up.

Here is the real kicker in all of this. In year 5 under Muschamp the QBs he recruited are now playing for the Mets, transferred to Utah, moved to WR and beaten out by a QB with a bionic knee who had no P5 offers coming out of HS.

Of course by winning this battle Hill also gets to work with converted QBs at WR while we hope that another transfer player from Wingate can get a waiver to possibly start at the position.

Of course they can always hand the ball off to a couple unproven RBs behind a line that’s never shown any ability to open holes or protect the QB.

Man it’s great to have a fabulous recruiter like Muschamp running the program.

Good to see Muschamp name a starter.
Now Hilinski will enter the transfer portal in 5 4 3 2 1 ......
I think Hillinski should do what is best for him. He has a great Charity that will not get near the attention with him in a backup role, nor will it get the attention during this Covid /social justice environment. He should take this year and find a place where he and his very important message will likely be front and center. I think that is best for him and the charity. Whatever he decides to do, I wish him the best of luck, he's a class act.

As for BoBo, hes doing what anybody would do, going with what's familiar.

The bright side in this surprise news is that Muschamp is giving Bobo free reign to run the offense as he wants, thus keeping his hands off the offense. Am I being too optimistic?

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Here is the real kicker in all of this. In year 5 under Muschamp the QBs he recruited are now playing for the Mets, transferred to Utah, moved to WR and beaten out by a QB with a bionic knee who had no P5 offers coming out of HS.

Of course by winning this battle Hill also gets to work with converted QBs at WR while we hope that another transfer player from Wingate can get a waiver to possibly start at the position.

Of course they can always hand the ball off to a couple unproven RBs behind a line that’s never shown any ability to open holes or protect the QB.

😁😂💯
giphy.gif

Some of you whiners are truly amazing! Do you really believe the coaches making this decision (only one - Bobo) aren't choosing the guy who gives us the best chance to make this new offense work? Obviously, none of you doubters ever saw Hill play in high school at Dorman, or else you wouldn't be writing some of the idiotic comments about him. For the last month, we've been hearing receivers, defensive backs, other Gamecock teammates and even Todd Ellis rave (without solicitation) about this young man's ability to throw with power, accuracy and touch, yet some of you little girls have your lips pushed out because he won the QB battle .... for now, at least. Of course he knows Bobo's offense better, and no, he wasn't one of your precious 5 stars coming out of high school. He was only a 3 for all the "star queers" on the site, but then maybe some of us have forgotten about a young man named Connor!! As for his knee surgeries, that is certainly a legitimate concern for us all, but if the QB race was indeed that close, then Ryan is ready to jump in when needed. I just want to win, and Bobo has a proven record as a play caller and an OC, so I'm excited to have anything new at this point!

bagdad-bob.jpg

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Gimpy McHill transferred here b/c he knew he wouldn't get the starting gig at CSU with the new coach. His only chance was to follow Bobo here. Bobo wants "his" guy in there, so that's who we're stuck with. Bobo's first major decision is a flop. Not a good sign for the offense this season. The decision was certainly made based on loyalty...just to the wrong guy.
This is a rotting pile of BS. What makes you think it is ok to throw out pure conjecture as fact while simultaneously denigrating a kid who is risking his health for your entertainment? It is NOT OK. You are acting like a butthurt little child throwing a tantrum. Nobody saw who performed better in practice except our coaches and players and they said it was almost too close to call. The decision clearly came down to who knew the offense better and honestly- after watching RH struggle through 11 games last season in a somewhat familiar offense- what gives any of you the opinion he would do better this year under a brand new system somewhat foreign to him? Hill has like 4 years of exposure to Bobo’s style of play and his play book, and by all accounts has a solid arm. A “Sunday arm” according to some coaches. Anyone upset or surprised by this decision is harboring some sort of odd allegiance to a player over the TEAM we pull for. I am a Gamecock fan which means by default I am a fan of the players who play for us, not the other way around. Ya’ll can root for whomever you please, but calling our starting QB “gimpy” and assuming it is a mistake to name him a starter when you have never seen the man play is ignorant and absolutely obnoxious. If this decision upset you so much that you felt you should come to this forum to assault one of our players like this, you should really examine your personal biases and why you are behaving so irrationally.

This is a rotting pile of BS. What makes you think it is ok to throw out pure conjecture as fact while simultaneously denigrating a kid who is risking his health for your entertainment? It is NOT OK. You are acting like a butthurt little child throwing a tantrum. Nobody saw who performed better in practice except our coaches and players and they said it was almost too close to call. The decision clearly came down to who knew the offense better and honestly- after watching RH struggle through 11 games last season in a somewhat familiar offense- what gives any of you the opinion he would do better this year under a brand new system somewhat foreign to him? Hill has like 4 years of exposure to Bobo’s style of play and his play book, and by all accounts has a solid arm. A “Sunday arm” according to some coaches. Anyone upset or surprised by this decision is harboring some sort of odd allegiance to a player over the TEAM we pull for. I am a Gamecock fan which means by default I am a fan of the players who play for us, not the other way around. Ya’ll can root for whomever you please, but calling our starting QB “gimpy” and assuming it is a mistake to name him a starter when you have never seen the man play is ignorant and absolutely obnoxious. If this decision upset you so much that you felt you should come to this forum to assault one of our players like this, you should really examine your personal biases and why you are behaving so irrationally.
By his own admission he isn't going to watch now, so it's not really "for (his) entertainment".

Remember when Sparky Woods came here and brought his transfer QB with him? Same kind of situation. After he was named OC, Bobo probably guaranteed the kid would be the starter if he would transfer. Not surprised at all. Hilinsky should go ahead and take his redshirt year now.
NCAA approved a blanket aligibility waiver for this year. No need to RS- we can and will play both, probably Doty some too.

I don't understand how someone can decide who should be the starting QB that has never been to practice to see any of them perform. The coaches have seen these guys on many occasions. We will probably need all three of our top QBs to play because some will inevitably get hurt. We are playing an all SEC schedule and our QBs will get hit and maybe have to miss games. We will be fortunate if that doesn't happen more than once. Relax! We will need, Hill, Hilinski, and Doty.

Muschamp needs more time! And money!😂

If BoBo’s offensive philosophy is to “not lose games” I’m afraid we are going to do just that, lose games. I always knew he was conservative but it sounds like he’s going to be SUPER conservative. “Don’t beat any opponent by more than 3 points! Oh no! 14 is too much!”

ADVERTISEMENT