ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks name Hill QB1

So may Luke
Exactly right. I think no matter who the starter is, we’ll see some combination of all three guys play this season. All three could potentially play qb in any one game. As was posted earlier, Bobo’s mettle as the oc will be put to the test in games 4-10. Other teams will have a sample size of his Playcalling.

I personally want to see the gloves come off the offense, and do whatever it takes to move the ball and score points. As a head coach, this is definitely Muschamp’s last chance.

Reactions: Brace1
Here is the real kicker in all of this. In year 5 under Muschamp the QBs he recruited are now playing for the Mets, transferred to Utah, moved to WR and beaten out by a QB with a bionic knee who had no P5 offers coming out of HS.

Of course by winning this battle Hill also gets to work with converted QBs at WR while we hope that another transfer player from Wingate can get a waiver to possibly start at the position.

Of course they can always hand the ball off to a couple unproven RBs behind a line that’s never shown any ability to open holes or protect the QB.

Man it’s great to have a fabulous recruiter like Muschamp running the program.

Damn what a true statement. This post wraps up what is the $hitshow of a program Muschump is running.

Exactly right. I think no matter who the starter is, we’ll see some combination of all three guys play this season. All three could potentially play qb in any one game. As was posted earlier, Bobo’s mettle as the oc will be put to the test in games 4-10. Other teams will have a sample size of his Playcalling.

I personally want to see the gloves come off the offense, and do whatever it takes to move the ball and score points. As a head coach, this is definitely Muschamp’s last chance.
It would be contrary to how Muschamp has handled the QB situation in his 8 years as a head coach. Personally, I think Hill plays unless he gets hurt or unless we are way ahead. But I guess anything is possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hill play.

The bright side in this surprise news is that Muschamp is giving Bobo free reign to run the offense as he wants, thus keeping his hands off the offense. Am I being too optimistic?
Yes...unless there is a video conference with muskrat saying he is giving full reign to hobo then it ain’t true.

Reactions: SOSUSC
It would be contrary to how Muschamp has handled the QB situation in his 8 years as a head coach. Personally, I think Hill plays unless he gets hurt or unless we are way ahead. But I guess anything is possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hill play.
You make a great point. I look forward to seeing the season get started and to see how it all shakes out.

Well said. I said before if a bad decision is out there Muschamp and his cronies will make it.

Yes. It’s humorous that people are saying we should trust Champ’s decision on this.

Also humorous that folks have been duped into thinking we’ve found our hidden gem in Hill.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Really? Do you hope Gunner decommits too?

Why not? What is happening here is ridiculous. WM's crony is playing his guy. These QBs under Muschamp have never done well. I go back to Bentley. He was a great QB in his first few games here and then went downhill each year under Muschamp's crew. Gunner this could happen to you to.

Here is the real kicker in all of this. In year 5 under Muschamp the QBs he recruited are now playing for the Mets, transferred to Utah, moved to WR and beaten out by a QB with a bionic knee who had no P5 offers coming out of HS.

Of course by winning this battle Hill also gets to work with converted QBs at WR while we hope that another transfer player from Wingate can get a waiver to possibly start at the position.

Of course they can always hand the ball off to a couple unproven RBs behind a line that’s never shown any ability to open holes or protect the QB.

I'm going to quote this again, just because I think more people need to read it and let it sink in.

Why not? What is happening here is ridiculous. WM's crony is playing his guy. These QBs under Muschamp have never done well. I go back to Bentley. He was a great QB in his first few games here and then went downhill each year under Muschamp's crew. Gunner this could happen to you to.

Maybe you should reach out to all our commitments and encourage them to decommit. Maybe encourage any talented players to transfer. Sounds like a great and unbiased plan.

Yes. It’s humorous that people are saying we should trust Champ’s decision on this.

Also humorous that folks have been duped into thinking we’ve found our hidden gem in Hill.
I don’t think we’ve found our hidden gem in Collin Hill. And I don’t think Muschamp nor Bobo is good at “evaluating talent, but with that being said I’m not “shocked“ to see Ryan get beat out. And I don’t think the coaches are playing favorites “here either, they just going with the guy who they believe can deliver us the most victories. I said in another thread that Bobo didn’t care for Hilinski “which he stated from the jump, when he tore him down over his fundamentals! Still I believe Ryan would be starting if he would’ve beat out Collin; but apparently that didn’t happen. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmac069
Which means Hill would get another year...So if he's that good this might be a good thing
Could play two more years if he applies for an extra year due to medical issues. Normally granted if you miss two years due to injury. May be unlikely with everyone getting a free year this year.

The good news is we know he’s not transferring back west . I don’t know guys , this just seems like a bad move . If the competition was as neck and neck as they claim then give the Nod to the kid that you threw to the wolves last year . He got beat to a pulp , played hurt and had nothing around him on offense . Really don’t like this move . Sure Hill is gonna be more familiar with the system but I just don’t like it at all . If Hill has a Joe Burrow type year I’ll eat crow but I would bet the house that ain’t gonna happen . This has the makings of an epic trainwreck.
This is my feeling as well. It’s not his fault he has to learn a new system, and unless the coaches are liars, he’s doing well and is right there with the guy that knows the system as good as the coach. So tell me what he’s done to lose the job. I think it’s a bad move.

And here is the poster post for why this board has the rep it does.
That’s right. We don’t see what the coaches have seen in practice and the scrimmages. Just listened to Carolina Calls, and Bobo said Hill had shown the most consistency throughout camp. Ryan Hilinski showed a ton of heart and committment last season. He was put in a bad spot before he was ready, but he didn’t back down. He did what was asked of him and I admire him for that. I think his day here will come. It might come this season. I’m pulling for him as a Gamecock and as a person.

As I've said before, Hill is a good QB with the height to see over the line. He has a great arm if given time to go through the progression. But we have to keep Ryan in the fold. This is gonna be a crazy year..

Reactions: leftneck
There will be no difference this year. Same oline coach, no established RB and even less at WR. I’m not sure there is a winner in this QB battle.

OLine has more experience this year.

I like Harris and Fenwick at RB. Looks like White and Amos will be good compliments.

WR, Legette showed a lot of promise last year, and from pictures it looks like he built his body up since last year.

I think unless Shi really turns it up, he’ll have an average year. I think several of the returnees will be average, but a few of the younger guys will do good.

Because of the virus and injuries, QB will be all hands on deck. The starter the first game may not ever start again, we might wind up with Dak at QB.

Just win.

All I know is Ryan hung tough when the big boys of our schedule were gunning for him. Will Hill do the same?
Also CWM doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt anymore. That stuffs over! If fans want to question a move like this it’s their right. 4-8 means you get doubted until you show up!

People keep pointing to the fact that he started at CSU. Newsflash.....they were 7-17 last two years.
Might want to do done research before making yourself look silly.
no one said they had a good defense or good record. I think point is they had a good offense

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
I guess I'm out of touch with a large portion of my fellow gamecocks. Why is this definitely a bad decision? Shouldn't we want the guy in there who has enough talent to play FBS ball and knows the new offense like the back of his hand? I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Hill or Hilinski and would be fine with either of them in the game.

NO player should ever feel as though they are OWED a starting spot or even playing time, and that goes for QBs as well. The fact of the matter is that Hilinski was a big-time recruit, and many within our fanbase seem to think that is enough to earn him the starting job. I disagree with that mentality. Once a recruit transitions to being a member of the squad, they are on the same starting line as everyone else. And so what if Hilinski had to be baptized by fire last year. It was TRULY unfortunate for him and the rest of the team, but that still doesn't mean he or any other player on the team who had to play before they were ready should just be gifted a starting job or increased playing time as a way to say thanks.

If BoBo’s offensive philosophy is to “not lose games” I’m afraid we are going to do just that, lose games. I always knew he was conservative but it sounds like he’s going to be SUPER conservative. “Don’t beat any opponent by more than 3 points! Oh no! 14 is too much!”

Sincerely asking: what did you read or hear that makes you think he's going to be super conservative?

That’s right. We don’t see what the coaches have seen in practice and the scrimmages. Just listened to Carolina Calls, and Bobo said Hill had shown the most consistency throughout camp. Ryan Hilinski showed a ton of heart and committment last season. He was put in a bad spot before he was ready, but he didn’t back down. He did what was asked of him and I admire him for that. I think his day here will come. It might come this season. I’m pulling for him as a Gamecock and as a person.
Without any doubt both QBs will play this year. Our offensive line is average at best.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster

Exactly !! Honestly if Connor Shaw was here he couldn’t win with the pieces around him now . Hell Peyton or Archie Manning couldn’t win with the absolute void of playmakers we have . It doesn’t matter . This is gonna be a long year folks

If we win next Saturday night, the gloom lifts. Otherwise, it would be evident to all but the densest fan that UT has indeed passed us back behind a gamble at the head coaching position. How perfect would that be?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT