ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks name Hill QB1

Gimpy McHill transferred here b/c he knew he wouldn't get the starting gig at CSU with the new coach. His only chance was to follow Bobo here. Bobo wants "his" guy in there, so that's who we're stuck with. Bobo's first major decision is a flop. Not a good sign for the offense this season. The decision was certainly made based on loyalty...just to the wrong guy.
please tell me you have inside information verifying this insane comment

Remember when Sparky Woods came here and brought his transfer QB with him? Same kind of situation. After he was named OC, Bobo probably guaranteed the kid would be the starter if he would transfer. Not surprised at all. Hilinsky should go ahead and take his redshirt year now.
well that just proves how much you really know. this year wont count against anybody this year so you can play and not lose any eligibility

We're Gamecocks. With our luck Hill will prove to be fantastic. The best qb since Shaw. Moving us up and down the field at will. Then in the 2nd half Rocky Bottom will end his season with another cheap shot.

• Sad
Reactions: ken in sacramento
Neither one is mobile enough to extend plays and that’s a must in today’s game
You don't have to be able to run to extend plays. The problem for any QB at SC this year is lack of a true playmaker at RB or WR. Someone is going to have to grow up fast.

I heard White is on crutches this week. Anyone else heard that?

Reactions: cockofdawn
I am holding out hope that this is simply a teaching type situation for 1 or 2 games at most ! Hopefully what they are doing is have RH with Bobo on the sidelines coaching him up in real time & by game 3 RH is back in there. I also HATE to say this but they may think that with us getting the Viles & then Gators Maybe keep Ryan a little healthier for the back end of the schedule & letting him start up on the 3rd game against Vandy maybe the best way to hopefully get him through the season. Those first 2 games could wind up being hard on a QB's health so to speak. I , myself , have some reservations on the Oline & I am not sure that being named the game 1 starter against Tenn is really a "plum" situation. Whoever is back there is going to take some pretty stiff hits those first couple of games. Just my 2 cents..

It's been said that the most popular person on campus is the backup quarterback (or that he's the most popular guy in town, or other variations).

We've seen it time and time again. This situation with Hill is really no different.

Hopefully the hair will help.

connor-shaw.jpg

Shaw was bald. Better than any of those up there. ;)

He averaged 3 yards carry at LSU, the two QB's in question arent palying in the NFL
We're not talking about rushing numbers, I was illustrating that he has speed, and obviously he can run to extend plays if he has that kind of speed.

Are you insinuating that players in the NFL don't have SEC speed?

I guess I'm out of touch with a large portion of my fellow gamecocks. Why is this definitely a bad decision? Shouldn't we want the guy in there who has enough talent to play FBS ball and knows the new offense like the back of his hand? I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Hill or Hilinski and would be fine with either of them in the game.

NO player should ever feel as though they are OWED a starting spot or even playing time, and that goes for QBs as well. The fact of the matter is that Hilinski was a big-time recruit, and many within our fanbase seem to think that is enough to earn him the starting job. I disagree with that mentality. Once a recruit transitions to being a member of the squad, they are on the same starting line as everyone else. And so what if Hilinski had to be baptized by fire last year. It was TRULY unfortunate for him and the rest of the team, but that still doesn't mean he or any other player on the team who had to play before they were ready should just be gifted a starting job or increased playing time as a way to say thanks.
“Why is this definitely a bad decision?”
It is not. Many of the fans on this board are just upset because they thought the fact Hilinsky started some games last year meant he was guaranteed to be our starter this year. Fair competition and trust in our coaches has been overridden by negativity and hysterics as per usual.
A few things to consider:
1- “Hill will start VS UT” is all that was announced. Nobody said “Ryan will never play”, nobody said “RH sucks, we hope he transfers” or that “all our hopes for a hood year are tied to Hill”... That is how the reactionary idiots causing the uproar have framed it though.

2- RH never showed he had any firm grasp on the starting role last year- struggled every game except Chas Southern, never caught up to D1 college FB “speed of the game”, and was simply played before he was ready, and Went 4-7 as a starter for us. What about his performance last year lead anyone to think he was guaranteed to be the starter here?

3- Hill played well when healthy. Not Heisman trophy well- but he is smart, experienced and throws a good deep ball. There is no shame
In opting for the guy who gives us the most experience with the offense especially for the first game of the year.

This was the only option that made sense to me from the start. I have no clue why anyone is surprised by it or upset by it... They picked the guy who gives us the best chance to win NOW.

It is not. Many of the fans on this board are just upset because they thought the fact Hilinsky started some games last year meant he was guaranteed to be our starter this year. Fair competition and trust in our coaches has been overridden by negativity and hysterics as per usual.
1- “Hill will start VS UT” is all that was announced. Nobody said “Ryan will never play”, nobody said “RH sucks, we hope he transfers” or that “all our hopes for a hood year are tied to Hill”... That is how the reactionary idiots causing the uproar have framed it though.

2- RH never showed he had any firm grasp on the starting role last year- struggled every game except Chas Southern, never caught up to D1 college FB “speed of the game”, and was simply played before he was ready, and Went 4-7 as a starter for us. What about his performance last year lead anyone to think he was guaranteed to be the starter here?

3- Hill played well when healthy. Not Heisman trophy well- but he is smart, experienced and throws a good deep ball. There is no shame
In opting for the guy who gives us the most experience with the offense especially for the first game of the year.

This was the only option that made sense to me from the start. I have no clue why anyone is surprised by it or upset by it... They picked the guy who gives us the best chance to win NOW.
I’m all for open competition but the thing everyone seems to be overlooking is what it means for the state of our program that a guy with three knee surgeries and no P5 offers is beating out a highly recruited QB in year 5 of the Will Muschamp era. I don’t know if it’s all poor coaching or poor evaluation but Muschamp’s history with QBs has been abysmal in both stops and is downright embarrassing here.

While I agree he had to play before he was ready Hilinski did not struggle in every game. He absolutely had times where he could have played better but he also had times where he displayed why he was highly recruited. It’s also fascinating that he is knocked for going 4-7 in the SEC as a true freshman but a guy who was 3-9 in the Mountain West is a plus.

What indicated that Hill played well? How many Colorado State games did you watch? Are you just basing this on his overall stats or did you actually look at the competition he was playing against and how he performed against teams with winning records?

Again year 5 and we’ve supplied a QB to Cal who is now playing for the Mets, a QB to Utah, 3 WRs and now a backup QB to a guy that struggled against the Mountain West. I agree that based on Muschamp’s track record no one should be surprised.

I absolutely expect we will see Hilinski play this season as there is no way the bionic knee survives behind a Wolford oline.

I’m all for open competition but the thing everyone seems to be overlooking is what it means for the state of our program that a guy with three knee surgeries and no P5 offers is beating out a highly recruited QB in year 5 of the Will Muschamp era. I don’t know if it’s all poor coaching or poor evaluation but Muschamp’s history with QBs has been abysmal in both stops and is downright embarrassing here.

While I agree he had to play before he was ready Hilinski did not struggle in every game. He absolutely had times where he could have played better but he also had times where he displayed why he was highly recruited. It’s also fascinating that he is knocked for going 4-7 in the SEC as a true freshman but a guy who was 3-9 in the Mountain West is a plus.

What indicated that Hill played well? How many Colorado State games did you watch? Are you just basing this on his overall stats or did you actually look at the competition he was playing against and how he performed against teams with winning records?

Again year 5 and we’ve supplied a QB to Cal who is now playing for the Mets, a QB to Utah, 3 WRs and now a backup QB to a guy that struggled against the Mountain West. I agree that based on Muschamp’s track record no one should be surprised.

I absolutely expect we will see Hilinski play this season as there is no way the bionic knee survives behind a Wolford oline.
I agree with some of your points. Hilinski had his ups and downs last season. I still believe he’s extremely talented and I hope he does great things here . I have my own opinion about some of the other qbs that have played/transferred/ changed positions here recently. Brandon McIlwain was never gonna be a great college Qb at this level. He wasn’t here, nor at Cal. Jay Urich seems to be a great kid, and a good qb . I watched him play in high school. His hs team is a conference rival of my high school team. Dakereon Joyner is one heck of an athlete and football player. I’m not sure either of those guys were given every opportunity to be successful here as qb. Jake Bentley was. He was injured last year, and chose to transfer out west to finish his college career. I wish him all the best.

I rambled a lot to say this: I’m not sure what the offensive issues are here. I wish I did know. More importantly, I wish muschamp knew. And I hope he can fix those issues. I’m convinced that unless they change, he’s on the first of his last two seasons as hc here. I hope he stays far away from Bobo and the offense, and doesn’t meddle or micromanage . If he continues with the’ my way ‘approach, it’s not gonna end well for him here.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Exactly !! Honestly if Connor Shaw was here he couldn’t win with the pieces around him now . Hell Peyton or Archie Manning couldn’t win with the absolute void of playmakers we have . It doesn’t matter . This is gonna be a long year folks
Exactly...alot of fans forget about the 10 other guys on the field. Football is the ultimate team sport. The best jockey in the world isn't gonna win the Kentucky Derby riding a Jackass.

Remember when Sparky Woods came here and brought his transfer QB with him? Same kind of situation. After he was named OC, Bobo probably guaranteed the kid would be the starter if he would transfer. Not surprised at all. Hilinsky should go ahead and take his redshirt year now.

This year doesn’t count, he can play or opt out and then put in for a transfer and use his red shirt year to sit if he were not to get immediate eligibility. Although given they brought in a grand transfer to replace him, he probably would get immediate eligibility.

Dizzy at some point, we are either going to have to trust the Bobo hire and development, or we need to cut bait from Muschamp and staff.

Do I think Hill is all SEC caliber? Nope. But I believe he will be asked to not lose us games, get us in the right plays, and manage the game and chains. I think he'll be better than Ryan showed the last 60% of the year.

Your second suggestion is the correct answer. The QB can be asked to not lose a game when there is someone else on the team who can win it. Who would that be? Whoever plays needs to go win the game or this will be a very long year.

Unfortunately our most likely outcome is watch the offense continue to flounder and wait for the next OC that Muschamp hires to finally be the right one.

Champ won’t be hiring another OC, these two are riding together into either greatness or the unemployment line.

When he sees the gross QB mismanagement that goes on here, that may just happen.
So how many years has Bobo been our OC ?
Exactly. Maybe take a few days and get off the Gamecock board.
you just complaining to complain over and over

Reactions: 92Pony

you gotta remenber that these same guys bitched and whined that jake did keep his job even though nobody behind him could do better.. now they bitchin and whining that ryan isnt keeping his job..aint life fickle?

so are you insinuating they are just picking Hill because they like him better and not because he outperformed Ryan? makes sense

I find it hard to believe Muschamp and Bobo would pick a QB who wasn't playing better to start...especially when they are coaching to keep their jobs. I'm thinking Hill has a short leach. I can't remember the last time when the first game of the year is do or die, which IMO the Tenn game is. This is a must win for the Cocks in order to have a successful season. You lose to Tenn and we are staring down a 3-7 season...and no one keeps their job after that.
True, but keep in mind that Muchamp had to hire an OC a couple of years ago in order to “keep his job” and he promotes an unproven from within. I have no faith that Muschamp makes good decisions. Much the same way as when we get a marginal recruit and everyone says “I trust Muschamps evaluation more than stars.”

so are you insinuating they are just picking Hill because they like him better and not because he outperformed Ryan? makes sense
No insinuation at all. Bobo and Muschamp both said that the competition was even and this isn’t the first time Bobo has brought along a QB to his new job. Personally I don’t think any QB would make a difference with this team. Unless some guys have record level development there isn’t anything around them.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
No insinuation at all. Bobo and Muschamp both said that the competition was even and this isn’t the first time Bobo has brought along a QB to his new job. Personally I don’t think any QB would make a difference with this team. Unless some guys have record level development there isn’t anything around them.

I don't think that's 100% accurate. I read Bobo's comments saying Hill was more consistent in practice and scrimmages, that Bobo tracked and graded everything they did.

Reactions: carolinamyke

Why should I trust our coaches? I want to, but I need a reason because all I have so far are reasons not to trust them.

I don't think that's 100% accurate. I read Bobo's comments saying Hill was more consistent in practice and scrimmages, that Bobo tracked and graded everything they did.

“It was a very difficult decision,” Muschamp said. “You look at our three scrimmages, which are the three benchmarks really in the evaluation. Ryan was the player of the day in the first one; Collin was in the second. Both of them played extremely well in the third. It was very difficult, a hard decision, but that’s the decision that we made. As I’ve said before, we can win with both guys. We have great confidence in both guys, and both guys know that.”

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Sounds like the best man won. Hill transferred here to be the STARTING QUARTERBACK. Not to stand on the sideline and help mentor Hilinski.

We are also hurting at WR, RB and other positions and everyone’s attention is focused solely on the QB. As if it’s the only position that matters.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT