ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks release depth chart for season opener...

Man WR looks rough! One senior. The rest are sophomores or younger. And two of them are recruited QB’s on the 2-deep.
Our linebackers finally have some size across the board though. No more 215 lb guys.

I don’t see a lot of talent on the depth chart. I know a lot of people like to pump our recruiting But it doesn’t look good to me. I’ll be rooting for all of them though, hope we get everyone’s best cause we’re gonna need it!

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
WR- agreed, looks scary.

defense looks STOUT. Zero freshmen starting, only 2 on the whole 2 deep, one is a 5*...

TE may be a focus on offense. Muse impressed me, and Mullens was a big time get...

RB- Harris and Fenwick are both serviceable as back ups... SMH. Hope Harris has added some size and surprises me...

Looks pretty good on offense except for RB. The blindside will be protected this year. Pickens and Sandidge on second string shows you just how good we are on the defensive line. Depth baby!

Pleasant Surprises are Mullins at TE, Douglas at C, Brooks at WR, Hill at QB . On defense it is Johnson at LB or B, along with KT and Ellis starting at DT.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Looks pretty good on offense except for RB. The blindside will be protected this year. Pickens and Sandidge on second string shows you just how good we are on the defensive line. Depth baby!

Pleasant Surprises are Mullins at TE, Douglas at C, Brooks at WR, Hill at QB . On defense it is Johnson at LB or B, along with KT and Ellis starting at DT.
I’d say WR is a black hole as well. I was concerned about WR last year... Then we lost BE, and Shi and Vann... After which we had the worst WR core in the nation. I do not see much improvement from that on this 2-deep. Dak Joyner did not look like he could catch the ball while running last year. Shi had stone hands, and Vann- who is not even on the 2-deep (is he hurt?) was leading the SEC in drops despite having limited targets as our 3rd/4th option last year before he got hurt. Hopefully Caldwell and Powers are breakout stars! We are in trouble if they are not.

Looks like they are planning to play the season without Jalen Brooks.
He hasn’t been cleared so regardless of what they plan for, no point in adding him. Why can’t we ever get an answer from the NCAA on this sort of stuff?

What happened to ZaQuandre White (rb). I really thought it was going to be him and Lloyd as the starters this year.

WR- agreed, looks scary.

defense looks STOUT. Zero freshmen starting, only 2 on the whole 2 deep, one is a 5*...

TE may be a focus on offense. Muse impressed me, and Mullens was a big time get...

RB- Harris and Fenwick are both serviceable as back ups... SMH. Hope Harris has added some size and surprises me...
Our defense is middle of the pack. Starters look good but after that were thin. Hopefully Harris is a stud at running back, but I think Fenwick is gonna carry the run game. And I agree the tight ends might be the focus on offense, they look stronger than the wideouts

I’d say WR is a black hole as well. I was concerned about WR last year... Then we lost BE, and Shi and Vann... After which we had the worst WR core in the nation. I do not see much improvement from that on this 2-deep. Dak Joyner did not look like he could catch the ball while running last year. Shi had stone hands, and Vann- who is not even on the 2-deep (is he hurt?) was leading the SEC in drops despite having limited targets as our 3rd/4th option last year before he got hurt. Hopefully Caldwell and Powers are breakout stars! We are in trouble if they are not.

I am not seeing the black hole at WR. Vann being buried on the depth chart speaks volumes.

• Haha

The starting DTs are Keir Thomas and Jabari Ellis. Both seniors. That is Muschamp's MO.

I remember this from 2 years ago. Thomas, at 275, was too small to play DT and was replaced after a few games. Hope he's picked up some strength.

I like our defense, especially Ernest Jones, who will be all-SEC at the end of the season. On offense, I like Muse and Parker White. The rest need to prove that they can keep the defense from being on the field for 40 minutes.

Perhaps this is a given, but biggest concern for me is QB as the most important position on the field. Thrice-torn ACL from CO St and all that.

Next would be safeties. Smaller than our CBs and history of injuries.

As for WR, can it get worse than last year? Reason for some optimism with another year experience for the 3 starters (particularly Dak), and hope springs eternal with the Freshmen. Don’t need as much depth if only using 2 WR and we have capacity to get more creative with Dak and Luke out there. One guy I thought looked sharp in his very limited game time but haven’t heard a word about since is walk on Trey Adkins. He at least proved he could catch and run.

WR- agreed, looks scary.

How big did you think Harris was ?
He’s actually a good size RB

I wish I was seeing what your seeing. To me, this looks like the worst group of WRs we've had since joining the SEC.
No kidding. I hope our running game can possibly open up our passing game. I see a lot of two tight end sets with a FB (do those even exist in college football anymore?) and a lot of up the middle stuff. Hope we can get good center and guard push.

How big did you think Harris was ?
He’s actually a good size RB
Oh I know it says he is 5-10, 225 on the sheet... what I am saying is he LOOKS small on the field. Did last year anyway- he is a little bowling ball type of RB, but those guys need thighs that are as big around as my torso and they need to be as strong as guys 5 inches taller than them... He did not look like he was that to me last year. If he is going to take a big work load in the SEC, I hope he has gotten bigger.

I like it! Coach Boom is out there with all sort of tricky things to keep the opposition staying up late at night worrying about what he has up his sleeve.

See what New Orleans does with Tayson Hill? We have Joyner and Doty.....3 QBs ON THE FIELD AT ONCE! What will happen? Who will throw the ball? Only coach Boom and his staff knows.

I also like how he is making the young, talented defensive recruits earn their playing time. Nothing is given to them, they have to earn it. I like that attitude.

I like how this team is shaping up!

I like it! Coach Boom is out there with all sort of tricky things to keep the opposition staying up late at night worrying about what he has up his sleeve.

See what New Orleans does with Tayson Hill? We have Joyner and Doty.....3 QBs ON THE FIELD AT ONCE! What will happen? Who will throw the ball? Only coach Boom and his staff knows.

I also like how he is making the young, talented defensive recruits earn their playing time. Nothing is given to them, they have to earn it. I like that attitude.

I am not seeing the black hole at WR. Vann being buried on the depth chart speaks volumes.
Does it speak volumes about who is ahead of him or about HIM? Again he was about 4th or 5th on our team in target volume I think when he got hurt last year, but was LEADING THE SEC IN DROPS. Let that sink in again- on a team that tried to run a balanced attack, he wasn’t even close to getting the most targets and lead the entire conference in dropped passes. Maybe he just is not that good. I am not bashing the kid, just stating facts. I’d be looking for just about any option besides that too if I were one of our coaches. Hope he blows up this year and rises up the DC, but it would take a tremendous improvement to accomplish that. Beyond that- we have ONE experienced receiver on our depth chart. The rest have limited is any PT, and those few who did see some snaps at WE were not all that impressive last year. Our top guy- Shi- had wayyyy too many drops of his own last year! I just don’t see anything to get excited about at all at WR. Hopefully the freshmen are breakout stars!

Muschamp made some positive comments about White being back to 100% this week so our RB job may not be decided yet... Basically said it will be a game time decision like RT.

No kidding. I hope our running game can possibly open up our passing game. I see a lot of two tight end sets with a FB (do those even exist in college football anymore?) and a lot of up the middle stuff. Hope we can get good center and guard push.

If I’m Tennessee. Or anyone. I’m starting out with an extra man in the box to take away the run game. And dare USC to beat you throwing.
But watch we will run it 1st and 2nd down most all night.

I see it this way. Our WR work against what should be a good secondary and that should make them better. I want to see less drops this time around because getting open doesn't mean squat if you can't bring the ball in. Just catch the ball and get open is all we ask.

Muschamp doesn't have a creative offensive bone in his body. I could think of a lot of ways to use 3 QB's on the field at once but I bet Muschamp can't even come up with one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT