ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks Spurrier - Front Page News Link From US News

colaheat

Jul 30, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Steve Spurrier is 70, South Carolina is Bad, So Who's Getting the Job?

By Jason McIntyre September 14, 2015 4:15 pm ET

SHARE ON FACEBOOK

SHARE ON TWITTER

EMAIL

Steve Spurrier is a legend in South Carolina for what he’s done for the Gamecocks over the last decade. In the last 10 seasons, the Gamecocks have finished .500 or better 10 times, have been to nine bowl games, and have won the SEC East. The program is relevant.

The Gamecocks, who have an abysmal football history, were 33-6 from 2011-2013, winning 11 games each year. It was the first time they’d won 11 games … ever. They’d only won 10 games oncebefore, and that was in 1984. Before Spurrier arrived, the only other time in the football program’s 100+ year history that the team won nine or more games was in 2001.

[RELATED: Bret Bielema Found Out the Hard Way: In College Football the Only Certainty is Uncertainty]

Spurrier turns 71 in April, South Carolina was just beaten at home by Kentucky, the Gamecocks lost QB Connor Mitch to a separated shoulder and oh, they play #7 Georgia this week. Visits to Missouri, Texas A&M and Tennessee dot the schedule, plus they have to play LSU, Florida and Clemson. SC has three more wins (UCF, Vanderbilt, Citadel) but getting to a bowl game looks unlikely.

They were 8th in the SEC in recruiting according to Rivals in 2015 after finishing 8th in 2014. It’s still early, but the 2016 class is shaping up as their worst in years. The Gamecocks haven’t nabbed a 5-star recruit since Jadeveon Clowney stayed home in 2011.

All signs point to this: Is it time to move on from Steve Spurrier? It’s a delicate decision. You don’t want to shove out an icon who took the program to never-before-seen heights. Would Spurrier step down? Could the two sides work together … to not have this blow up in their face the way it did with Mack Brown at Texas?

[RELATED: Jim McElwain Went Will Muschamp After Kelvin Taylor Throat Cut Gesture]

It could be the perfect year for the Gamecocks to make the transition, as it appears – for now, anyway – that the competition for the best open job could be between Miami and … yeah, it’s that bleak.

[Aside: Wacky things could happen, of course – Charlie Strong and Texas, Steve Sarkisian and USC, Brian Kelly could give one last shot at the NFL and the Nick Saban rumors will always be floating around.]

How do the Gamecocks smoothly move on from the best coach in school history before things unravel to the point that they become Tennessee?

Coach Spurrier deserves better than this hack of an article. I don't disagree with everything being said, heck, it has been said in this forum numerous times already. It is pretty hard to watch the national guys start going after a Hall of Fame coach like this. I swear that all they want to do is tear down the man after ALL he has done for college football. It is nauseating to watch. Coach Spurrier deserves better than this. Rant over.

I hope Spurrier reads this trash...and it motivates him!

Just who is this hack writer anyway? I can't find anything on him other than being named as a co-founder of a blog The Big Lead. Sounds like another Aaron Fitt.

Reactions: Tigerof66
A lot of people have been waiting to kick Spurrier when he is down.

Seems the majority article points out indisputable facts (our history before Spurrier, our success since his arrival, bowl appearances, his age, our schedule, our recruiting rankings) and then asks a simple question: "Is it time to move on from Steve Spurrier?" It then follows to say he's an "icon" and the situation needs to be handled carefully....yeah, sounds like a hack job to me. How dare the writer use factual stats and then call our coach "the best in school history"!!!
Good Lord you people are touchy.

4+ mill should be enough.
Why do you think Spurrier cares about money? He's got more than he'll ever spend in his lifetime and he's said so.

People around here need to get off of the $4 mil carping. It'll take a lot more than that to get a NC caliber contender when Spurrier decides to leave. Besides, it ain't coming out of your pocket so why cry about it?

Why do you think Spurrier cares about money? He's got more than he'll ever spend in his lifetime and he's said so.

People around here need to get off of the $4 mil carping. It'll take a lot more than that to get a NC caliber contender when Spurrier decides to leave. Besides, it ain't coming out of your pocket so why cry about it?
Haha...but being motivated by "trash" (as you put it) is what you think will happen. Ok, Einstein. (See, I can be condescending too)

Last edited:

I think he's crying about it because last season ended in a dumpster fire and this year is on track for the same. Whenever you have glaring issues in any organization you have to go to the person making the biggest check, in this case it's 4 million dollars. Just my opinion.

So how do you replace a coach like OBC? Do you steal Father Time away from kansas State? He's only 75. ;)

Plus, Spurrier gives alot back to the school and has shared potential raises with his coaches. Money is not a motivational factor for him.

Plus, Spurrier gives alot back to the school and has shared potential raises with his coaches. Money is not a motivational factor for him.

When Spurrier came to USC, why did he say he took the job?
I have to think it's about building a legacy. So with that motivation, it would make loads more sense for him to have left after 2012 than to leave now. At this point he has to put in the work and get this team back to where he had it before he can go.

I have to think it's about building a legacy. So with that motivation, it would make loads more sense for him to have left after 2012 than to leave now. At this point he has to put in the work and get this team back to where he had it before he can go.
Exactly. Funny how a rival fan can see this but some of our fans (or some that claim to be fans) can't.

Thx for your input MUTiger. I hope y'all put it on UConn this w/e.

Haha...but being motivated by "trash" (as you put it) is what you think will happen. Ok, Einstein. (See, I can be condescending too)

Nothing new, you're always condescending.

And I'm not really shocked that you would think the negative press wouldn't motivate Spurrier more than say Tanner offering him another million or two a year....Tesla.

Exactly. Funny how a rival fan can see this but some of our fans (or some that claim to be fans) can't.

Sports fandom drives normally rational men to make up their minds based on pure emotion when things go bad. It happens everywhere. Pinkel has been fond of answering questions by saying "We do what we do." It was supposed to mean that they have a system, they know what they are doing and they aren't going to do knee-jerk things because fans want them to. But in 2012 with a ton of OL injuries, the Pinkel haters came out in force with the WDWWD dropped in every thread as a sign of inflexibility and a lack of desire to improve or change (despite quite ample evidence to the contrary). It made no sense, but it's what fans do.

Sports fandom drives normally rational men to make up their minds based on pure emotion when things go bad. It happens everywhere. Pinkel has been fond of answering questions by saying "We do what we do." It was supposed to mean that they have a system, they know what they are doing and they aren't going to do knee-jerk things because fans want them to. But in 2012 with a ton of OL injuries, the Pinkel haters came out in force with the WDWWD dropped in every thread as a sign of inflexibility and a lack of desire to improve or change (despite quite ample evidence to the contrary). It made no sense, but it's what fans do.
I agree 100%.

But the fans I'm referring to complained after our first ever 11 win season that we should've had a better season (after beating our instate rival with a backup QB, backup starting RB, and a many other injuries) and again after our finishing with 11 wins the next year. Now, only 1 year and 2 games removed from the best 3 year stretch in school history they want to scrub our entire staff and start all over.

Not sure what you would think if you were a USC fan, but I don't consider these "fans" normally rational.

Coach Spurrier deserves better than this hack of an article. I don't disagree with everything being said, heck, it has been said in this forum numerous times already. It is pretty hard to watch the national guys start going after a Hall of Fame coach like this. I swear that all they want to do is tear down the man after ALL he has done for college football. It is nauseating to watch. Coach Spurrier deserves better than this. Rant over.
"The national guys" don't care about our sensibilities or Spurrier's either.

Steve Spurrier is 70, South Carolina is Bad, So Who's Getting the Job?

By Jason McIntyre September 14, 2015 4:15 pm ET

SHARE ON FACEBOOK

SHARE ON TWITTER

EMAIL

Steve Spurrier is a legend in South Carolina for what he’s done for the Gamecocks over the last decade. In the last 10 seasons, the Gamecocks have finished .500 or better 10 times, have been to nine bowl games, and have won the SEC East. The program is relevant.

The Gamecocks, who have an abysmal football history, were 33-6 from 2011-2013, winning 11 games each year. It was the first time they’d won 11 games … ever. They’d only won 10 games oncebefore, and that was in 1984. Before Spurrier arrived, the only other time in the football program’s 100+ year history that the team won nine or more games was in 2001.

[RELATED: Bret Bielema Found Out the Hard Way: In College Football the Only Certainty is Uncertainty]

Spurrier turns 71 in April, South Carolina was just beaten at home by Kentucky, the Gamecocks lost QB Connor Mitch to a separated shoulder and oh, they play #7 Georgia this week. Visits to Missouri, Texas A&M and Tennessee dot the schedule, plus they have to play LSU, Florida and Clemson. SC has three more wins (UCF, Vanderbilt, Citadel) but getting to a bowl game looks unlikely.

They were 8th in the SEC in recruiting according to Rivals in 2015 after finishing 8th in 2014. It’s still early, but the 2016 class is shaping up as their worst in years. The Gamecocks haven’t nabbed a 5-star recruit since Jadeveon Clowney stayed home in 2011.

All signs point to this: Is it time to move on from Steve Spurrier? It’s a delicate decision. You don’t want to shove out an icon who took the program to never-before-seen heights. Would Spurrier step down? Could the two sides work together … to not have this blow up in their face the way it did with Mack Brown at Texas?

[RELATED: Jim McElwain Went Will Muschamp After Kelvin Taylor Throat Cut Gesture]

It could be the perfect year for the Gamecocks to make the transition, as it appears – for now, anyway – that the competition for the best open job could be between Miami and … yeah, it’s that bleak.

[Aside: Wacky things could happen, of course – Charlie Strong and Texas, Steve Sarkisian and USC, Brian Kelly could give one last shot at the NFL and the Nick Saban rumors will always be floating around.]

How do the Gamecocks smoothly move on from the best coach in school history before things unravel to the point that they become Tennessee?

The bottom line and most important point here; if our program wasn't nationally respected as-well-as legit, that article would have NEVER been published/included in the latest US NEWS mag publication.

JMHOFWIW

It's harder at 70 than at 60 or even 65. It isn't necessarily about declining ability but lessening will to put up with the headaches.

It's harder at 70 than at 60 or even 65. It isn't necessarily about declining ability but lessening will to put up with the headaches.

That's actually why I joked earlier about Bill Snyder of kSU. He retired and then kSU hired that clown, Ron Prince, to coach their team. After Prince ran the team into the ground, Snyder came back from retirement to repair the damage that was done to his legacy. I think he may very well work until the day that he dies so he doesn't have to live to see another idiot tear down what he built. Father Time and Spurrier are a lot alike to the extent that they are very driven people with a lot of passion for what they do. I think Spurrier could leave if he thought it was the "right" thing to do, but he's a Cocky bastard, so I'm sure he believes in his ability to be successful..

That's actually why I joked earlier about Bill Snyder of kSU. He retired and then kSU hired that clown, Ron Prince, to coach their team. After Prince ran the team into the ground, Snyder came back from retirement to repair the damage that was done to his legacy. I think he may very well work until the day that he dies so he doesn't have to live to see another idiot tear down what he built. Father Time and Spurrier are a lot alike to the extent that they are very driven people with a lot of passion for what they do. I think Spurrier could leave if he thought it was the "right" thing to do, but he's a Cocky bastard, so I'm sure he believes in his ability to be successful..
Wanting to do things and being driven aren't necessarily the same. If he were "driven", he might have succeeded in the NFL. I'm in no hurry for him to go but I don't think he'll hang around just to get a certain number of wins - not if the product is substandard.

Wanting to do things and being driven aren't necessarily the same. If he were "driven", he might have succeeded in the NFL. I'm in no hurry for him to go but I don't think he'll hang around just to get a certain number of wins - not if the product is substandard.

I think we are just using different definitions of the word legacy. Spurrier already has a ton of total wins. He wanted to build something that was his own (or at least that's my assumption). Going out while SC is not at or near the top does not result in him building the "legacy" that he wanted. I could be wrong, but this is my assumption.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT