ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks were 13th in SEC in Punt Return Yardage in 2014

stagedoor71

Jan 8, 2004
The old cliche is that football is a game of field position. Whoever was in charge of the punt return team apparently did not do a very good job. In kickoff return yardage we were 7th. The quickest way to change a game is through big plays in the kicking game.

For the record this is what I consider to be a special team: http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/special-teams.aspx according to this definition the punt and kick return teams are special teams,

"The members of a football team responsible for plays involving a kick of a football. This includes the kicker, punter and long snapper, as well as anybody involved in the kick return and kick coverage teams. A team with good special teams will tend to be good at field goals and extra points, and provide its offense and defense with superior field position after kickoffs and punts."

This post was edited on 2/6 1:03 PM by stagedoor71

This post was edited on 2/6 1:07 PM by stagedoor71

This post was edited on 2/6 1:26 PM by stagedoor71

I still believe that if Ace Sanders had come back for his senior year, we would have played for a national championship in 2013. We could have beat UT with improved field position that year. His punt returns against UGA, Missouri and Michigan in 2012 were legendary. We need to find another Ace Sanders.....maybe one of these talented receivers we redshirted will be that guy.

Originally posted by gamecockjosh:

I still believe that if Ace Sanders had come back for his senior year, we would have played for a national championship in 2013. We could have beat UT with improved field position that year. His punt returns against UGA, Missouri and Michigan in 2012 were legendary. We need to find another Ace Sanders.....maybe one of these talented receivers we redshirted will be that guy.
I really believe Deebo Samuel will be our punt returner next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT