ADVERTISEMENT

GamecockScoop Staff Picks for 2024 Season

Caleb Alexander

Publisher
Staff
Apr 14, 2009

I will note that I know my picks are a bit optimistic, and they almost entirely depend on beating Kentucky in week two and starting with positive momentum. If you drop that one, things could turn quickly in the other direction.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Ward Jr
I think that the gamecocks will be fortunate to win 5 games this year due to inexperience quarterback and the lack of talent on offense plus the defense was awful last year with few sacks and tfl. Gamecocks roster doesn’t compare to LSU or AGGIES so how can that be a win? And Beamer is a better coach than Kelly ?

I think that the gamecocks will be fortunate to win 5 games this year due to inexperience quarterback and the lack of talent on offense plus the defense was awful last year with few sacks and tfl. Gamecocks roster doesn’t compare to LSU or AGGIES so how can that be a win? And Beamer is a better coach than Kelly ?
LSU has a ton to replace and you get them early and at home. I wouldn't say South Carolina will be favored, but some things line up to win an ugly defensive struggle.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
LSU has a ton to replace and you get them early and at home. I wouldn't say South Carolina will be favored, but some things line up to win an ugly defensive struggle.
Defensive struggle? Come on. Gamecocks were ranked in the top 20-25 defensively last year? Couldn’t stop the pass and couldn’t rush the quarterback. So a team coming off a 5-7 season with a new inexperience quarterback and 20 transfer that didn’t upgrade from last year is now going to beat a team loaded with players. Okay Caleb I reckon the gamecocks will surely surprise the fans and most cfb pundits. But I wouldn’t bet much money on it happening and neither would you.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Defensive struggle? Come on. Gamecocks were ranked in the top 20-25 defensively last year? Couldn’t stop the pass and couldn’t rush the quarterback. So a team coming off a 5-7 season with a new inexperience quarterback and 20 transfer that didn’t upgrade from last year is now going to beat a team loaded with players. Okay Caleb I reckon the gamecocks will surely surprise the fans and most cfb pundits. But I wouldn’t bet much money on it happening and neither would you.
I didn’t put any money on it. I’m just saying I have a more optimistic take than the national media on this team. Happy to revisit this thread after the season (or if Kentucky wins in week two we can go ahead and call me wrong then).

Definitely in the upper band of the range of possibilities but within the realm.

Our defense is capable. The big question is whether the new unknown offense gives them a reason to keep fighting throughout the season. Obviously, can't be turning the ball over on any regular basis.

1. Georgia*
2. Texas*
3. Alabama
4. Ole Miss
5. Tennessee
6. Missouri
7. LSU
8. Oklahoma
9. Auburn
10. South Carolina
11. Texas A&M
12. Kentucky
13. Florida
14. Mississippi State
15. Arkansas
16. Vanderbilt*

Defense capabilities are what? Why do gamecocks think that they are above the Aggies whom they have beaten once. I look at the rosters and compare coaches and I’m having not impressed. Don’t see sellers being better than Rattler was last season so the offense will take a step backwards.

I didn’t put any money on it. I’m just saying I have a more optimistic take than the national media on this team. Happy to revisit this thread after the season (or if Kentucky wins in week two we can go ahead and call me wrong then).

Gotta ask ... "I have a more optimistic take than the national media on this team" ... WHY??? Is this because what's-his-name, is going to be a better QB than Ratter???... OR because YOUR Employer REQUIRES POSITIVE, NO-NEGATIVES REPORTING??? BS is FREE, No Matter What You Try To Charge!!! I SAY CAROLINA LOSES AT LEASE 7 GAMES IN EACH OF THE NEXT TWO YEARS!!!

I just think we are being badly underestimated.
1. Our D was ranked last season. In the Clemson game, they did not even give up a TD. I feel that White and his staff are going to get them primed to be even better this year.
2. Way too many people are not giving Sellers enough credit. He played shortly in 3 games. Passing; 4-4 for 86 Yards & 2 TDs. Rushing 5 for 51 yards and a TD. With the added protection he will get over what Rattler got; he is going to be one of the top 10 QB's in the country.
They just want to say he is inexperienced. He did great in HS; won state championships. He did great in his short playing time here. He is going to be one of the best QB we ever had.
3. Our offence has way more experienced players that are healthy right now. If they stay healthy, they will not only stop the blitzing D's, but they will also open up running lanes. Being you have almost 3 deep on the line, they will be able to consistently sub and keep everyone fresh. And having 11 RB on the roster, we should find one or two that can avg. 100 yards a game. That will give Sellers even more time.
4. It is time for Nyck Harbor to show out. At 6'-5" he will be able to go up for the ball when he is covered tight. But that is the thing; with his speed, who can cover him tight? I bet Dowell will have some plays where he just darts down the field because Sellers can throw the ball 60-70 yards. After about 30 Nyck has done left the DB and Safety behind.
2024 is the year Carolina and Beamer will prove that we are getting there.

1. Our D was ranked last season. In the Clemson game, they did not even give up a TD. I feel that White and his staff are going to get them primed to be even better this year.

This Clemson offense was the worst Clemson offense in more than a decade. That had a lot to do with it.
2. Way too many people are not giving Sellers enough credit. He played shortly in 3 games. Passing; 4-4 for 86 Yards & 2 TDs. Rushing 5 for 51 yards and a TD. With the added protection he will get over what Rattler got; he is going to be one of the top 10 QB's in the country.They just want to say he is inexperienced. He did great in HS; won state championships. He did great in his short playing time here. He is going to be one of the best QB we ever had.

So you're expecting a RS Freshman to be better than the greatest QB in Gamecock history?

3. Our offence has way more experienced players that are healthy right now. If they stay healthy, they will not only stop the blitzing D's, but they will also open up running lanes. Being you have almost 3 deep on the line, they will be able to consistently sub and keep everyone fresh. And having 11 RB on the roster, we should find one or two that can avg. 100 yards a game. That will give Sellers even more time.
Already building in the excuse? "We would have been so great in 2024 if so and so hadn't gotten hurt."
4. It is time for Nyck Harbor to show out. At 6'-5" he will be able to go up for the ball when he is covered tight. But that is the thing; with his speed, who can cover him tight? I bet Dowell will have some plays where he just darts down the field because Sellers can throw the ball 60-70 yards. After about 30 Nyck has done left the DB and Safety behind.
He had 195 yards last year. Why wasn't he able to do this last year?

uscwatsun21, once upon a time, I respected you. I guess 3 or 4 years ago. Don't understand how you got so against this team?

1. We played good D our last 3 games. That was when we started doing the 3-3-5 a lot more. Plan to see that even more this year.
2. We have never brought in a freshman with the stats like Sellers had, and Sellers got to train under Rattler last season.
3. Just being realistic, but we have many more OL players this season, so one or 2 injuries will not affect us like last year.
4. A really good HS defensive player was learning how to play as a WR on offense. He went from being a 5-star DE with a little time as a WR, to being a full time WR. He had so much to learn. This year he dropped track early to come back to football. He is learning to be a really good WR.

I would really like to see the old uscwatsun21 I remember again. Hoping a good season will get you back.

uscwatsun21, once upon a time, I respected you. I guess 3 or 4 years ago. Don't understand how you got so against this team?

1. We played good D our last 3 games. That was when we started doing the 3-3-5 a lot more. Plan to see that even more this year.

The last 3 games we played the 104, 58, and 54 ranked offenses. The prior 3 games against P5 teams we played the 25, 28, and 59th.

Do you think playing worse offenses may have had a bit of a factor in the defense improving?
3. Just being realistic, but we have many more OL players this season, so one or 2 injuries will not affect us like last year.
I think to most people you're being really unrealistic right now.
4. A really good HS defensive player was learning how to play as a WR on offense. He went from being a 5-star DE with a little time as a WR, to being a full time WR. He had so much to learn. This year he dropped track early to come back to football. He is learning to be a really good WR.
What? He missed the entire spring practice to run track. So he hasn't had that time to actually develop as a WR. He's going to get his first reps at WR in four days since last football season.
I would really like to see the old uscwatsun21 I remember again. Hoping a good season will get you back.

I think it's much more likely we have a terrible season and a new coaching hire gives us optimism heading into 2025.

Vegas over/under 5.5 wins for the gamecocks this season. I reckon a guy from Aiken is fixing to cash in. Season is really harping on an unknown product.

2. Way too many people are not giving Sellers enough credit. He played shortly in 3 games. Passing; 4-4 for 86 Yards & 2 TDs. Rushing 5 for 51 yards and a TD. With the added protection he will get over what Rattler got; he is going to be one of the top 10 QB's in the country.
They just want to say he is inexperienced. He did great in HS; won state championships. He did great in his short playing time here. He is going to be one of the best QB we ever had.
Are you a bettor?👍😀

Are you a bettor?👍😀
I am not a bettor or a bet placer. I am a Baptist Preacher. If I did not think betting was the same as coveting, I would definitely be betting on us beating that 5.5.
I have had previous seasons where I would be all hyped up and get very disappointed once we started playing.

I just see this team as being different. I am also a HS Statistician. I watch the plays a little different than most because there is so much information I have to capture in each individual play. When I watched the Spring game, that was a different team than we had out there last year. The formations of the offensive line were different. The cuts on the defense were different. It all looked different and, in my opinion, much better way to play.
I watch where and how much Sellers turns his head. I watched the way he ran the ball. He just looks way different than most young QB's. The kid knows what he is doing. And when he runs, he actually looks like a RB out there.
If they do not do better this year, I will tell our HS coach that I need to quit, because I don't know what I am looking at.

I am not a bettor or a bet placer. I am a Baptist Preacher. If I did not think betting was the same as coveting, I would definitely be betting on us beating that 5.5.
I have had previous seasons where I would be all hyped up and get very disappointed once we started playing.

I just see this team as being different. I am also a HS Statistician. I watch the plays a little different than most because there is so much information I have to capture in each individual play. When I watched the Spring game, that was a different team than we had out there last year. The formations of the offensive line were different. The cuts on the defense were different. It all looked different and, in my opinion, much better way to play.
I watch where and how much Sellers turns his head. I watched the way he ran the ball. He just looks way different than most young QB's. The kid knows what he is doing. And when he runs, he actually looks like a RB out there.
If they do not do better this year, I will tell our HS coach that I need to quit, because I don't know what I am looking at.

I certainly pray that your pastorship is better than your resume as a football analysis. I have heard good BS before but, I certainly do not see you turning any potential converts into believers.

On the other hand, I am a sinner and beg the lord for forgiveness. But, for the Gamecocks to have a winning season in the next two years .... Jesus Christ would have to come down OFF the cross and South Carolina would need a NEW HEAD COACH!!! God Dammit!!! How, the HELL does that strike you PREACHER???

I certainly pray that your pastorship is better than your resume as a football analysis. I have heard good BS before but, I certainly do not see you turning any potential converts into believers.

On the other hand, I am a sinner and beg the lord for forgiveness. But, for the Gamecocks to have a winning season in the next two years .... Jesus Christ would have to come down OFF the cross and South Carolina would need a NEW HEAD COACH!!! God Dammit!!! How, the HELL does that strike you PREACHER???
It would strike most people as you're either drunk on your a** or completely insane.

On the other hand, I am a sinner and beg the lord for forgiveness. But, for the Gamecocks to have a winning season in the next two years .... Jesus Christ would have to come down OFF the cross and South Carolina would need a NEW HEAD COACH!!! **********! How, the HELL does that strike you PREACHER???
It strikes me that you just want to see the Gamecocks get Fried. But if you know anything about religion, you too will get fried one day for the Blaspheme and taking the Lord's name in Vain. God could forgive even you, but the sinning has to stop.
So there, you got a taste of my pastoring.
As far as my football analysis, we will know by Oct. 6th. If we have 4 wins or better, you can start apologizing.

Regardless of who is disappointed, we should all check back in.

@Caleb Alexander , I would like to request a sticky thread with Preseason predictions. We should try to eliminate the revisionist history that tends to happen.

It's not a contest Lurker. That's where you and Watson are so misguided.

Whenever Beamer is let go - in a year or in 5 years - none of us will be surprised.

We just choose accept reality and let the chips fall where they may.

This clears up additional time for more of life's important pursuits.

It's not a contest Lurker. That's where you and Watson are so misguided.

Whenever Beamer is let go - in a year or in 5 years - none of us will be surprised.

We just choose accept reality and let the chips fall where they may.

This clears up additional time for more of life's important pursuits.

Nice to see you finally see the writing in the wall and you're trying to shift your argument instead of having to admit you were wrong about Beamer.

Reactions: Lurker123
Nice to see you finally see the writing in the wall and you're trying to shift your argument instead of having to admit you were wrong about Beamer.

Even Mrs Satterfield started talking about being okay with firing Beamer a little while ago.

Give the trolls a few more months, and they'll have convinced themselves that being wrong about Beamer means they were really right the whole time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT