ADVERTISEMENT

Garcia is quite passionate about Beamer getting the job here

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
I'm generally hesitant about the Beamer move and am still in the Napier camp. The one thing that kind of makes me second guess myself is that former players, unanimously, have said Beamer understands first-hand the culture that's needed to win here. That catches my attention because a culture change is the #1 thing that needs to happen. Everyone knows and agrees on this. I'm not a guy who thinks you let former players pick the coach (as has been pointed out, Muschamp's players loved him), but if you've got a bunch of your really good, former players coming out and saying that a former coach just gets it with regard to the culture, I can't totally disregard that.

Yep. He’s also older and I imagine a bit wiser. The old ‘hindsight’ is probably assisting him to assess that period of time in his life too. (Just a thought)

It's kind of funny. When he was here, I was pretty hard on him for the knucklehead things he did, and I was always getting shouted down by other posters telling me they were no different when they were in college and this was typical college kid shenanigans and such. Now everyone wants to hold that stuff against him.

I still think he was a total knucklehead, but he's 32 now, so I can assume he's probably matured at least a little bit.

No offense to Garcia but why would be excited about is opinion? I like him but didn't he basically throw his career away?
I believe he had a child at that time so he basically just ignored that responsibility. He had a lot to be working hard for instead he just partied and self satisfied himself at every opportunity.

He was a huge disappointment to a lot of people.

Reactions: pisgah
I think Tanner may be swayed by arguments from former players. Caslen likely would not.

Hate him all you want, Tanner is 100% Gamecock, through and through. On top of that, he was a coach. And he probably knows all of these players to some degree since they were all here at the same time. So I think passionate pleas from former players would tug on him.

Caslen is the new guy in town and has no connection to these guys. Besides, he's a military guy through and through and they make calculated decision, not emotional ones.

Garcia did act the college kid knucklehead when he was here. But having been around him a few times when he was in football mode, he was quite a player and very personable. I raised my eyebrows at his Jekyll- Hyde manner, but he was a special football talent. Somehow enjoyed rebelling against Spurrier and especially Hyman. But I don’t question his judgement on football related things.

We all hope the AD hires the best man from his list of coaching prospects. Last time we were in this situation, Tanner took an unnecessary gamble on a man that had recently failed as a head coach. Why take another unnecessary gamble with a person that has no head coaching experience ? This time Tanner should take a less risky, more logical approach. Hire a guy that is already a successful head coach.

I'm generally hesitant about the Beamer move and am still in the Napier camp. The one thing that kind of makes me second guess myself is that former players, unanimously, have said Beamer understands first-hand the culture that's needed to win here. That catches my attention because a culture change is the #1 thing that needs to happen. Everyone knows and agrees on this. I'm not a guy who thinks you let former players pick the coach (as has been pointed out, Muschamp's players loved him), but if you've got a bunch of your really good, former players coming out and saying that a former coach just gets it with regard to the culture, I can't totally disregard that.

Had any of the other coaches we are pursuing been here in the past those players would probably feel the same about that candidate. What former players are saying shouldn't have any impact. Have you asked yourself why nobody has hired Beamer as head coach in 20 years? Chadwell would bring his entire staff to USC and hit the ground running. What a missed opportunity again.

Yes, there needs to be a culture change. How do you know if Beamer is disciplined enough to bring change? Does this university want to be the guinea pig to see if he can? Heard he had a lazy mentality at ga. We do not need another set back. We are already years and years behind clem and ga. Napier has proven he can....need to go with him.

Garcia's assessment is that we need Beamer to restore the culture to which he did not, himself, adhere.
Even so, the former players' opinion of Beamer makes me feel better if he's the guy. Still, I'd prefer Napier.

I think Tanner may be swayed by arguments from former players. Caslen likely would not.

Hate him all you want, Tanner is 100% Gamecock, through and through. On top of that, he was a coach. And he probably knows all of these players to some degree since they were all here at the same time. So I think passionate pleas from former players would tug on him.

Caslen is the new guy in town and has no connection to these guys. Besides, he's a military guy through and through and they make calculated decision, not emotional ones.
The BOT will call this, mainly Dr. Floyd . Everything decision goes through Florence , SC. Tanner and Caslen answer to them and they are both on thin ice.

I hope it's Napier, but a small part of me hopes it's Beamer just so I can witness the collective hissy fit that will ensue from some of y'all. lol

Garcia!
garcia_jeff2.png

Who should have never been hired as the AD.

Why?

Serious question.

People here post that nonsense, but IIRC in reality pre-Covid our athletic department was making money. There are a LOT who struggle financially. We offer more men’s and women’s sports than a lot of other programs. Our facilities are improving.

What I do see a lot on this site is people posting their “opinions” on management style and how they think things should be run. When I read those “opinions”, they’re simply the same rehashed pablum that’s been regurgitated at every leadership conference and workshop I’ve participated in for over 40 years. Some of it sounds so familiar I’d bet the poster plagiarized it straight out of the workbook from the class they just attended.

Give it a rest. He hasn’t done a bad job.

Why?

Serious question.

People here post that nonsense, but IIRC in reality pre-Covid our athletic department was making money. There are a LOT who struggle financially. We offer more men’s and women’s sports than a lot of other programs. Our facilities are improving.

What I do see a lot on this site is people posting their “opinions” on management style and how they think things should be run. When I read those “opinions”, they’re simply the same rehashed pablum that’s been regurgitated at every leadership conference and workshop I’ve participated in for over 40 years. Some of it sounds so familiar I’d bet the poster plagiarized it straight out of the workbook from the class they just attended.

Give it a rest. He hasn’t done a bad job.
They will find out when projects come to a grounding halt. We have had the best run of ADs in Hymen and Tanner, each with their own strengths, that we ever had. We know have a President who has pissed off several of the large donors and are trying to throw out the AD that many other large donors love and can get money from them to get the projects off the planning board. And two ADs that made us one of the top athletic-academic universities in the country.

And Tanner isn't the one that has to attempt to curry favor with some donors and former athletes by picking their "preferred" coach.....he already has that in spades.

I don't have a comment other than to say that there is no way Garcia said "freaking". It just didn't happen.

• Haha
Reactions: NetworkX and 92Pony

Unfortunately Tanner has killed our baseball and football programs I think I'd trust Caslen over him.

We all hope the AD hires the best man from his list of coaching prospects. Last time we were in this situation, Tanner took an unnecessary gamble on a man that had recently failed as a head coach. Why take another unnecessary gamble with a person that has no head coaching experience ? This time Tanner should take a less risky, more logical approach. Hire a guy that is already a successful head coach.

Which would be Freeze and that will not happen.

Reactions: 43cocks
Beamer. He played under him. I just think it’s time to make a hire that connects back to when we were kicking butt and taking names. If we can’t find a living legend, maybe we can roll the dice and get lucky.
Well, I value jungleboiswag's opinion above the average former player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT