ADVERTISEMENT

Garnet Basketball Uniforms circa 1999

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
I saw some footage of a game between us and Tennessee in about 2001 and instead of the usual black jerseys, we were wearing Garnet jerseys and shorts. This in my opinion the best looking uniform the basketball team has ever had a slightly darker shade of Garnet than what we use now, the only shame is that we always seemed to put out a miserable effort when we wore them and got embarrassed.

The ones I remember were;
1998vsIndiana
1999@Tennessee
1999@Florida
2000@Georgia

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 84-37 debacle at Syracuse in 1999, I think we wore Garnet as well as the Georgia game in Athens in 1999. Did we ever win any games in those uniforms?

I agree that darker garnet looks much better, not sure when our garnet became lighter in all sports. Does the Clemson football team win most of their really big games while wearing that hideous-looking all orange uniform? No! Their record is probably not really that good with those uniforms. Yet the poor fans still get excited when old Dabo leads them out on the field with those "magic" orange pants, lol. I am not a fan of any solid color uniforms on the football field, with solid white being the exception. Big guys dressed in solid bright colors while wearing skin-tight uniforms look ridiculous to me. I pretty much despise our all garnet look, although all black with another color helmet doesn't seem half bad. Baseball solid color uniforms are fine with me, as long as they're white or gray. In basketball, all teams wore contrasting shirts and pants throughout the 1940's and 1950's. However when the game evolved into something much different in the 1960's, so much faster and constantly up and down the court, the solid color uniforms were preferred to help peripheral vision on fast breaks, both offensively and defensively. Mr. bd blackwell

The move to lighter garnet - if that's what it is - started with the Dietzel-era football uniforms and spread across other sports.

I agree that darker garnet looks much better, not sure when our garnet became lighter in all sports. Does the Clemson football team win most of their really big games while wearing that hideous-looking all orange uniform? No! Their record is probably not really that good with those uniforms. Yet the poor fans still get excited when old Dabo leads them out on the field with those "magic" orange pants, lol. I am not a fan of any solid color uniforms on the football field, with solid white being the exception. Big guys dressed in solid bright colors while wearing skin-tight uniforms look ridiculous to me. I pretty much despise our all garnet look, although all black with another color helmet doesn't seem half bad. Baseball solid color uniforms are fine with me, as long as they're white or gray. In basketball, all teams wore contrasting shirts and pants throughout the 1940's and 1950's. However when the game evolved into something much different in the 1960's, so much faster and constantly up and down the court, the solid color uniforms were preferred to help peripheral vision on fast breaks, both offensively and defensively. Mr. bd blackwell
Just saying that since clemson started wearing orange pants again we have not won. I believe in it lol I said when they broke the streak that it was over when I saw the pants.

Just saying that since clemson started wearing orange pants again we have not won. I believe in it lol I said when they broke the streak that it was over when I saw the pants.

Maybe we can combat that next season by wearing a helmet/jersey/pants combo that is undefeated at Memorial Stadium (worn 4 times).

Reactions: Cjjs
mckie.jpg

Is this what we're looking for? Looks like BJ was working hard this game, that jersey is even darker up top!

Looks pretty good to me. I kinda like the

SOUTH
CAROLINA

configuration. It's also a straight ripoff of UNC though so I'm kinda in favor of what we have now:

CAROLINA

"CAROLINA" across the chest is what we have in football and baseball...kinda cool being consistent.

They also wore all orange in this years semi-final beatdown, not to mention the famous West Virginia bowl game in 2012. The tiggers have lost as many big games as they have won wearing the ugliest uniform combo in NCAA history.

I saw some footage of a game between us and Tennessee in about 2001 and instead of the usual black jerseys, we were wearing Garnet jerseys and shorts. This in my opinion the best looking uniform the basketball team has ever had a slightly darker shade of Garnet than what we use now, the only shame is that we always seemed to put out a miserable effort when we wore them and got embarrassed.

The ones I remember were;
1998vsIndiana
1999@Tennessee
1999@Florida
2000@Georgia

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 84-37 debacle at Syracuse in 1999, I think we wore Garnet as well as the Georgia game in Athens in 1999. Did we ever win any games in those uniforms?

I remember a lot of things about games in the past, but the uniforms worn isn't one of them.

Reactions: stevestrat2
The tiggers have lost as many big games as they have won wearing the ugliest uniform combo in NCAA history.
I have to disagree about the all-orange being the ugliest combo in history. It is disgusting, but it is topped by their purple on purple with orange hats combo. I suppose there are some shade of purple that looks good on a football uniform, but that barney dinosaur hue isn't it. I can't watch that on a full stomach.

Rod - re: football unis: Man, I could have sworn we lost at some point in the garnet-white-black combo. I want to say stormtrooper is undefeated but I think we only wore it in $hitsville once.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Since UA took over, we now have a consistent shade of garnet for all of our uni's, which is a major improvement over years past. In the past, different teams worked with different suppliers, resulting in inconsistencies in color and style from the football team to the baseball team to the soccer team, etc. Now, there is a unified style for both font of numbers/letters and shade of garnet.

Found this article from 2010:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/blog/2010/11/the-right-shade-of-garnet.html

Rod - re: football unis: Man, I could have sworn we lost at some point in the garnet-white-black combo. I want to say stormtrooper is undefeated but I think we only wore it in $hitsville once.

You are mistaken.

Garnet Helmet/White Jersey/Black Britches
1984-W, 22-21
1986-T, 21-21
1992-W, 24-13
1996-W, 34-31

All white has more losses than I'd like to count. I really only recall winning wearing it once, which was in 2012.

Muschamp has publicly declared this to be his favorite road uniform combo....but we've yet to wear it during his tenure. I'm hoping it stays in the closet until Thanksgiving weekend, 2018.
I was gonna say, didn't we wear it Muschamp's first game up at Vandy? Looks like I had it flipped though

South_Carolina_Vander_Jone_r600x400.jpg

Those are the ones. Wore those during our only conference loss in '97.
We wore Garnet jerseys in most of our road games in that 1996-97 season in fact the only sec road game where we wore the black uniforms was the regular season title game at Kentucky to end the year(perhaps something special given the magnitude of the game). Then those black uniforms became the primary road combo, maybe they thought it was good luck.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
We wore Garnet jerseys in most of our road games in that 1996-97 season in fact the only sec road game where we wore the black uniforms was the regular season title game at Kentucky to end the year(perhaps something special given the magnitude of the game). Then those black uniforms became the primary road combo, maybe they thought it was good luck.

Very, VERY good memory.

Is the Garnet helmet better with or without the while circle encasing the Block C? Curious what y'all think.

Is the Garnet helmet better with or without the while circle encasing the Block C? Curious what y'all think.
I like it with the circle -- it shows up better, plus no other college really has that look that I can think of

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT