ADVERTISEMENT

Geoff Collins new HC at Georgia Tech....

Former Temple HC. What is everyone's opinion on this hire?

Sorry if already posted.

Hope he does well. But he didn’t re-build Temple...he just took over what was rebuilt.

It’s clear GT couldn’t get who they wanted. In think taking a change on Tony Elliot or Jeff Scott would’ve been better than this with their recruiting ties in the area.

It’ll be a long time before we have any idea if this was a good hire or not. They’ll have to be patient with him.

Hope he does well. But he didn’t re-build Temple...he just took over what was rebuilt.

It’s clear GT couldn’t get who they wanted. In think taking a change on Tony Elliot or Jeff Scott would’ve been better than this with their recruiting ties in the area.

It’ll be a long time before we have any idea if this was a good hire or not. They’ll have to be patient with him.
I also was surprised they didn't go after Elliot.

I also was surprised they didn't go after Elliot.
Nobody ever goes after Clemson assistants. Sure you hear their name thrown out but what you don't hear is them ever getting an interview and nothing more comes out of it after their name gets thrown out in the beginning. Meanwhile, poor Saban is replacing assistants left and right yearly but Dabo's can't even get an interview? Come on. Something smells. I think other schools know something about Clemson and their assistants that we don't know. Either that or Dabo is the Jim Jones of college football and the cult is stronger than we ever imagined. Not one of those assistants has any ambition of being a head coach? I call bs.

GT fans and Atlanta media are very high on the hire. “Safe” is definitely not one of the words they’re using to describe it. When he was an assistant at GT he helped sign a class that ranked 15th nationally, which is darn near unprecedented for GT. Nick Saban hired him as his Director of Player Personnel at Alabama, which should tell you everything you need to know about his recruiting acumen. He’s also from Atlanta and should pump a ton of energy into the program.

Last edited:
All I know is what I read on the AJC. Local guy (Conyers,Ga) and supposedly a very good recruiter. Not exactly the name to get the fan base excited. Seems like an underwhelming choice in my opinion. Time will tell

Bib, big challenge. First of all he has to take over Paul Johnson's roster which was recruited for a totally different offense than the one he plans to run. GT is a lot different than other universities because they have a much narrower curriculum. They value academics and don't sell out the classroom performance. High standards. As a consequence, most Georgia towns are loaded with UGA grads. Most of the professionals in a broad base of fields graduated from Ga. and support UGA. GT grads are from everywhere and a large % leave Georgia.

All I know is what I read on the AJC. Local guy (Conyers,Ga) and supposedly a very good recruiter. Not exactly the name to get the fan base excited. Seems like an underwhelming choice in my opinion. Time will tell

In the opinion of GT fans it is not an underwhelming choice. Every national media member I’ve seen has lauded the hire too. Time will tell on all coaches!

Nobody ever goes after Clemson assistants. Sure you hear their name thrown out but what you don't hear is them ever getting an interview and nothing more comes out of it after their name gets thrown out in the beginning. Meanwhile, poor Saban is replacing assistants left and right yearly but Dabo's can't even get an interview? Come on. Something smells. I think other schools know something about Clemson and their assistants that we don't know. Either that or Dabo is the Jim Jones of college football and the cult is stronger than we ever imagined. Not one of those assistants has any ambition of being a head coach? I call bs.
Didn't Chad Morris get hired at Arkanas or am I not seeing things right?

Didn't Chad Morris get hired at Arkanas or am I not seeing things right?
He went to So. Methodist first. I've heard taters make mention of tension between him and Dabo at the end and he took the SM job because Dabo wanted to go in a different direction.

Schools go after Clemson coaches all the time. Venables old roommate at KSU is the current AD at Texas Tech and Venables was the first guy he called when a change was made this year. Elliott and Scott have both had multiple opportunities to leave as well. They choose to stay. It’s not a matter of the coaches not having the opportunity to move on. Saban does lose a lot of coaches. Working for Saban is really nice for your resume and you will surely have the chance to move on. Saban is also extremely hard to work for, so there’s that to.

Schools go after Clemson coaches all the time. Venables old roommate at KSU is the current AD at Texas Tech and Venables was the first guy he called when a change was made this year. Elliott and Scott have both had multiple opportunities to leave as well. They choose to stay. It’s not a matter of the coaches not having the opportunity to move on. Saban does lose a lot of coaches. Working for Saban is really nice for your resume and you will surely have the chance to move on. Saban is also extremely hard to work for, so there’s that to.
Venables didn't even get an interview. Doubt he was the first guy called....despite the AD being his teammate at KSU.

Was it ever confirmed that TT reached out to BV? He wasn't even on the list of candidates their AD claimed to be interested in.

If you are an AD and you are looking for a head coach, don’t you think you would call your old roommate who just happens to be a Broyles award winner?

If you are an AD and you are looking for a head coach, don’t you think you would call your old roommate who just happens to be a Broyles award winner?
Maybe. Depends on other issues. Fact is there is no proof that he did....and some proof that he did not.

Wonder why that other boy pulled out - the OC for the Chargers - Whisenant?

What you smell is their 4th cfb playoff appearance.

Was it ever confirmed that TT reached out to BV? He wasn't even on the list of candidates their AD claimed to be interested in.
The interview was never mentioned but BV did confirm that he and the TT AD had spoken. He then said he was happy in Clemson and felt like if he left he would be breaking a promise he made to his son.

Bottom line is . . . let's root for great success for coach Collins because that means that he'll start to steal recruits away from Kirby! :D

Venables didn't even get an interview. Doubt he was the first guy called....despite the AD being his teammate at KSU.

People that know Venables are well aware of his demons. The man has issues that are a lifelong fight. A place Clemons is perfect to hide his personal failings.

Reactions: Gradstudent
People that know Venables are well aware of his demons. The man has issues that are a lifelong fight. A place Clemons is perfect to hide his personal failings.
We would be interested to hear details from someone that knows, like yourself.

Bruce Feldman is a fairly respected CFB analyst and he has reported that Venables was contacted regarding 2 HC positions this year. I guess multiple ADs are not as in "the know" as you.

Reactions: FJRTiger
Bruce Feldman is a fairly respected CFB analyst and he has reported that Venables was contacted regarding 2 HC positions this year. I guess multiple ADs are not as in "the know" as you.
Which ones? He wasn't on TexTech's list, nor GaTech's list. What other position would he have been contacted for?

It was not stated by Feldman. A coach who turns you down verbally is not going to make any public list.

Care to elaborate? I know nothing of his demons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT