ADVERTISEMENT

GNT: Interior OL rundown, Five Questions with Michael Roth

B

Brian Shoemaker

------------------------
DID YOU KNOW?
You can receive this report (Gamecock Nation Today) early each morning in your email inbox. Sign up here.
------------------------

Gamecock Nation Today
Thursday, April 18, 2019

Good morning from Gamecock Central.

Today's events:
• Baseball: Texas A&M
• Equestrian: NCEA Championship (Waco)
• Women's Golf: SEC Championships (Birmingham)
• Men's Tennis: SEC Championships (Gainesville)
• Women's Tennis: SEC Championships (College Station)

1. Spring review: Interior OL rundown

South Carolina put a bow on spring football earlier this month with the Garnet & Black Game inside Williams-Brice Stadium. In this series, GamecockCentral.com takes a look at where things stand at each position now that spring ball is over. Today focuses on the interior of the offensive line.

• Sixth-year senior Donell Stanley is the most experienced player up front for the Gamecocks, and will be back at offensive guard this season. Stanley played center in 2018 and is certainly capable, but it looks like another Carolina player will man that spot this season. Stanley, who’s played on both the left and right side during his career, is the expected starter at left guard.

• At the right guard spot, assistant coach Eric Wolford has had a battle brewing for the starting position. One player listed below could factor in, but redshirt freshman Jovaughn Gwyn and redshirt sophomore Jordan Rhodes are two players competing prominently for this role. Gwyn saw early snaps last season before going down with a season-ending foot injury. Rhodes has great size and is a mover on the interior, but needs to become more consistent.

Eric Douglas essentially only played special teams last season, but has impressed the coaching staff with his versatility and potential in practice. He could realistically play anywhere along the offensive line and has drawn reps at a multitude of spots. He could be a center or a guard for USC, and as Wes Mitchell mentioned in a previous installment, could be a key “swing” player for this squad.

• Which player replaces Stanley at center is a key storyline for the Gamecocks. It could be Hank Manos, who preserved his redshirt year after 2018 despite being the team’s starter in the Belk Bowl. Former walk-on Chandler Ferrell will have a say here as well.

• Converted defensive lineman M.J. Webb moved over to guard in the spring, and it looks like a move that is going to stick at this point. Also adding depth on the interior is Summie Carlay, who could play center or guard, and guard candidate Wyatt Campbell.

• Wolford will also get a look during preseason camp at a trio of incoming freshmen: Mark Fox out of Florida, William Rogers out of Georgia, and Vincent Murphy out of Florida. Fox has the look of someone who could factor in at tackle or the interior. Murphy is thought of as a future center.

Chris Clark

2. Five questions with Michael Roth

Former Gamecock great Michael Roth answers questions about his USC career, his new broadcasting career and the SC Legends Baseball Camp, scheduled for May 18. This is the first interview with the coaches leading up to the camp.

Q: You had a 1.17 ERA in five career College World Series games. What changed about your mindset and allowed you to perform at that level during those games?

A: I don't really know if it was anything in my mindset that changed. I think it's just when you're in playoffs and you’re playing that level of competition, you're just so laser focused and connected with your teammates and kind of just how everyone's playing. I mean in that three-year run that we went to the College World Series, I feel like everyone pretty much came together and played at their absolute best. Everyone seemed to come together right at the right time and I think that was in part from the closeness that we as a team experienced. Another part was just the training and the work that we put in in the offseason and during the season in order to be successful. And then another part of it was just playing the level of competition we knew we had to be to be ready to play, and I think that was I think that's something that we did really well during that three-year run.

Q: During the 2010 season, when did you know that team had a chance to be special and compete for a national championship? Was there a certain game or series that you looked at as a turning point or was it gradual?

A: You know, I think it was more gradual. We always knew that we were a good team. It just felt like as we went along the season, we would kind of laugh at each other after we'd play another big series and come away with a win. A good example of that was when we played at Mississippi State, we had Stephen Neff start in the outfield on a Sunday. He hadn't hit and played in a position in a year or so and we came out with a big win to win the series. It was games like that that we would just kind of laugh and say man, if we make it to Omaha and win again. We’d come up with all sorts of stupid stuff that we would do. It was something, I think it was just over the course of the season, we always knew we were a good team, but we also understood how difficult it was to make it that long. As we moved along over the course of the season we knew that we had the ability to get there if we continued to play like we were capable of.

Q: Outside of the two national championship runs, what was your most memorable moment or game as a Gamecock?

A: Outside of that, I guess I have to say my last one at Carolina Stadium or I guess Founders Park now. Walking off the mound for my last game in a South Carolina uniform at that stadium against Oklahoma. That was a pretty memorable game. Just a super regional trying to get us off to the right foot to go back down to Omaha for the third year. That was probably the most memorable game outside the two championship runs.

Q: You’ve recently gotten into broadcasting for the SEC Network, what’s one of the biggest surprises you’ve had going from the field to the booth?

A: I think the biggest surprise is I actually liked it. I didn't know how I would enjoy sitting on the other side. I know that when I watch games as a viewer, I will sometimes sit there and say, "Why is that guy talking about that?" I can honestly say that when I have watched myself enough I said the same thing about myself as a broadcaster. Obviously, as I continue to do it more - I've got another game on Thursday - I would love for those instances of viewers saying, "Why the hell is this guy talking about that?" to become less and less, and it's more adding value as to why a play happened or what that player was thinking in that instance, because it really is fun to kind of critique the game. And you know, I've been very careful not to bury a player because I know how hard the game is. I'm not even a year removed; I haven't forgotten how difficult the game of baseball is. There's times when you have to be somewhat critical, but you don't want to attack the player. But it's been a lot of fun actually.

Q: What prompted you to put on the legends baseball camp?

A: We just felt like we had a good group of guys that are in town, and love the game of baseball. We're all at different points in our career, whether we're still coaching, involved in baseball in the broadcasting, that just finished up their career. Matt Price and Scott (Wingo) have been done playing for a while, but we felt like we all had a lot of value and a very unique story to share with kids, with parents on how to play at the next level. Whether that's an elite level in high school, like all of us did, an elite college team and eventually professional baseball. When I was a child, my dream was to play professional baseball and I was fortunate enough to do it, and one of the things that helped me get to where I was in my baseball career was attending camps just like this. I went to so many camps of guys that were Double-A players or Triple-A players and you can always pick up something from guys that have performed at elite levels, and I think we just felt like it was a great opportunity to give back to the kids in Columbia. We’re looking forward to really just coaching these kids up and just kind of showing some of the things that we learned over the course of our career at South Carolina and in professional baseball.

Jackson Fields

3. ⚾ Baseball hosts Texas A&M

Who: South Carolina (22-15, 4-11 SEC) vs. No. 7 Texas A&M (27-11-1, 9-5-1 SEC)
Where: Founders Park (Columbia)
• Thursday, 7 p.m., SECN+, TuneIn
• Friday, 7 p.m., SECN+, TuneIn
• Saturday, 4 p.m., SECN, TuneIn

Probable starting pitchers:
USC: RHP Reid Morgan (3-2, 3.47), RHP Cam Tringali (2-0, 2.81), TBA
A&M: LHP John Doxakis (4-2, 1.76), Asa Lacy (6-1, 1.69), TBA

Texas A&M is one of the better teams not only in the SEC but in the country and carries with it two of the best left-handed pitchers in Doxakis, the No. 46 overall prospect in the 2019 class by D1Baseball, and Lacy, one of D1Baseball’s top 10 draft prospects in the 2020 class.

The Aggies are coming off a series win over Auburn at home and a midweek loss on the road at Houston.

Up next: South Carolina hits the road for the third neutral site midweek game of the season, playing Charleston Southern at SRP Park in North Augusta Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Baseball Links: News | SEC Standings | Schedule | Statistics | Polls

Collyn Taylor

4. This, that, and the other

Football Recruiting: Four-star DL Myles Murphy: 'I love South Carolina' - Four-star defensive end Myles Murphy was all smiles Tuesday as he watched his new teammate Michael Wyman pick the Gamecocks. (subscription)

Men's Basketball: Lawson makes NBA draft decision - A.J. Lawson has officially made a decision on the NBA Draft. The freshman guard will officially enter the NBA Draft pool, testing professional waters, but has left the door open for a return for his sophomore year. (link)

Men's Basketball: Silva begins action at Portsmouth Invitational Tournament - Chris Silva is on team "Portsmouth Partnership," which faces the Mike Duman Auto Sales team on Thursday at 9 p.m. (link)

Baseball: Kingston calls approving third-assistant proposal a 'no brainer' - One of the bigger decisions in the college baseball world gets put to a vote this week with the powers that be in the sport voting on whether or not to add a paid third assistant to a team’s coaching staff. (link)

Baseball: Gamecocks not exploring medical redshirt for Mlodzinski - South Carolina is still without one of it’s best frontline pitchers this season with Carmen Mlodzinski going on week seven coming off a broken foot. (link)

Women's Basketball: Herbert Harrigan reverses decision - A week after entering her name in the transfer portal, forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan had a change of heart and decided to return to South Carolina for her senior season. (link)

Women's Basketball: Staley addresses transfers - At her year-end press conference, Dawn Staley addressed three players’ decisions to transfer. (link)

Women's Basketball: 2018-19 season highlights - Notable things from Dawn Staley's press conference, along with notes on the incoming recruiting class. (link)

Softball: Gamecocks earn run-rule victory - USC used a pair of four-run innings to earn a 10-2 run-rule victory in six innings over USC Upstate on Wednesday. (link)

Women's Golf: Gamecocks in third at SEC Championships - USC finds itself alone in third place at the 2019 SEC Women's Golf Championships after Wednesday's opening round. The Gamecocks finished the day shooting 1-under par (287). (link)

Men's Golf: Miles wins SEC Golfer of the Week - Will Miles was named SEC Men's Golfer of the Week. It's the second time this season Miles has earned player of the week honors. (link)

Men's Golf: Lifelong medical condition doesn't keep Miles from thriving - Senior Will Miles discusses how his lower-leg condition doesn't stop him on the golf course. (link)

Men's Tennis: Gamecocks draw LSU in second round of SEC Tourney - The men's tennis team, following a first-round bye, will face LSU on Thursday. (link)

Jackson Fields

5. This Date in Gamecock History

April 18, 1993 – Four Carolina pitchers combined to shut out Georgia in Athens, 8-0.

• Matt Threehouse started, pitching five scoreless innings before giving way to Scott Pace, Wally Maynard and J.J. Pearsall.
  • The four hurlers combined gave up just one hit to the Bulldogs.
  • Joe Biernat led the offense, driving in five of the Gamecocks' eight runs, with four coming on a grand slam in the top of the sixth and the other on an RBI double.
  • The victory gave Carolina the series win over Georgia as USC improved to 29-10 on the season.
John Parker, gamecockarchives.com

6. Birthdays and Celebrations!

Brian Buscher – A native of Jacksonville, Buscher joined the Gamecocks in 2002 from Central Florida Community College. He would go on to play in every game for Carolina in 2002 and 2003, starting 140 of the 142 games. Buscher hit .323 with 14 homers and 64 RBI in 2002 and .575 slugging percentage in 2002 as USC made it to the College World Series. He followed that up with a .393 average in 2003 with 15 homers and 66 RBI. Buscher earned All-America honors from Collegiage Baseball and was named All-SEC as Carolina again made it to the CWS. Over his career he hit .374 and slugged .638 in SEC games. Buscher went on to play three seasons for the Minnesota Twins, hitting .266 over his major league career. Post MLB he has managed the Columbia Blowfish and been an assistant at Carolina.

• Brian Beatson (baseball/pitcher, 1987-90)
• Bobby Brown (football/nose guard, 1987-91)
• Cally Plummer (volleyball, 1998-02)
• Bill Sarrocco (football/offensive guard, 1977-79)
• David Shively (football/defensive back, 1982-85)
• Ryann Styer (swimming & diving, 2018-19)
• Timmy Vaughn (football/safety-quarterback, 1977-81)

John Parker, gamecockarchives.com

7. ⌚ Key Events (Countdown)

• April 25 – NFL Draft begins (7 days)
• May 8 – SEC Softball Tourney (20)
• May 21 – SEC Baseball Tourney (33)
• July 15 – SEC Media Days begins (88)
• July 20 – Muschamp Ladies Football Clinic (93)
• Aug. 31 – Football: Gamecocks vs UNC (135)

More happenings

• April 23 – Augusta, Spurs Up Tour
• April 24 – Midlands, Spurs Up Tour
• April 29 – Lancaster, Spurs Up Tour
• April 30 – Greenville, Spurs Up Tour
• May 2 – York, Spurs Up Tour
• May 4 – Baseball: Earl Bass jersey retirement
• May 7 – Sumter, Spurs Up Tour
• May 8 – Myrtle Beach, Spurs Up Tour
• May 9 – Atlanta, Spurs Up Tour
• May 14 – Charleston, Spurs Up Tour
• May 18 – SC Legends Camp

Will Muschamp is scheduled to appear at all of the Spurs Up Tour events. More information, including specific locations and ticket prices, will be announced as it becomes available.

Reactions: Gradstudent
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT