ADVERTISEMENT

Go watch the Joyner tape for me...

jjjpppbbb

Jun 10, 2010
... and tell me what you see. Watch his throws. Just look at his mechanics, where his recievers were when they caught the ball, his release, his footwork, how long he held it, his head movement (checking through progressions), zip on the ball, accuracy, etc. What do you notice?

Resist talking about his athleticism, just focus on all that has to do with throwing the ball down field.

Reactions: GamecockJL
I
... and tell me what you see. Watch his throws. Just look at his mechanics, where his recievers were when they caught the ball, his release, his footwork, how long he held it, his head movement (checking through progressions), zip on the ball, accuracy, etc. What do you notice?

Resist talking about his athleticism, just focus on all that has to do with throwing the ball down field.
I see great poise in the pocket, he doesn't get happy feet. He doesn't have the strongest arm and he drops the ball below his belt line before hr throws. Other than that, kid is a baller.

Reactions: umdterpcock
People are being short sighted.

First off, he is a dual threat qb. So asking us to not look at his other and most deadly threat is dumb. The amount off pressure a mobile qb relieves from the OL is immeasurable.

Second, it'll be minimum of 3 years before he even sees the field. That's plenty of time for mechanical improvements.

Reactions: IrmoRed
he will be on defense, just like most of the other college recruiters told him they were recruiting to play.

I understand the young man's present desire to play college QB

Reactions: idohvac2
That throw off his back foot was pretty awesome. And he was routinely wriggling out of tackles and blitzes. And there were a lot of three man fronts where he had to pick a guy out of an eight man coverage. Guy looks legit.

If Jake bentley truly is the first guy in and last guy out, and as excited to show up as the hype videos for him shows...then I think DKJ will fall right behind him and learn from him and be a leader for the offense. His throwing skills will morph tremendously from now till his redshirt sophomore year (estimated potential start year). The best thing about him coming to Carolina now is that he won't be thrown in and expected to play big minutes right off the bat.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I'm pretty hard on dual threat QBs because most are truly just the best athletes on their teams and their coaches use them to get Ws on the board.

Watching DJ I don't see just an outstanding athlete, I see a lot of good QB qualities as well. He may end up a WR or a DB but I see him getting legit opportunities to be our QB. It would be a huge waste if our coaching staff didn't go the extra mile to get him ready to play QB. His mechanics don't suck totally, he's got a lot to work with.

The first thing he's going to have to do is protect the ball, he's totally loose with the way he handles it and he'll lose it a lot at the next level.

We can't recruit the traditional 5* polished QBs, we aren't there yet but we can get someone of DJs enormous athletic talent and get him ready in 2 years. It wouldn't surprise me one bit for him to be a star QB after Jake moves on. Honestly I see a lot of the LJ from Louisville in him. #futurelooksbright

Reactions: mbsurfside
Is there something mentally wrong with you?... my opinion is he plays defense in college.

Nothing wrong with me. It's just beyond condescending to peg him as a defensive player when he is coming out of high school to play QB. You're literally implying he will fail as a QB which is a stupid thing to say.

Reactions: trekcock
Nothing wrong with me. It's just beyond condescending to peg him as a defensive player when he is coming out of high school to play QB. You're literally implying he will fail as a QB which is a stupid thing to say.
Bosox is an expert predictor. Just ask him. Just a few weeks ago he was getting pissed at posters that disagreed with his prediction that Chad would get one more year no questions asked. He doesn't have the time or patience for people that disagree with him because he's always right and you're not.

Last edited:
Reactions: FORKCOCK
Bosox is an expert predictor. Just ask him. Just a few weeks ago he was getting pissed at posters that disagreed with his prediction that Chad would get one more year no questions asked. He doesn't have the time or patience for people that disagree with him because he's always right and you're not.

Goodness forbid we be positive about one of the top dual-threat QBs coming out of high school I guess!

..... Never know. A lot of schools said the same about Lamar Jackson. Just sayin

Reactions: jjjpppbbb
Holy crap, screw off dude. Give the kid a chance and be glad he committed to the Gamecocks you loser!
That poster was gonna bitch whether we got DJ or not. DJ hasn't even played his senior season yet, good lord man give it a break.

Reactions: BigTomE
I see a lot of good! He has completed his junior QB in HS, we are in the development phase.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to think he's going to project as a db. The kid is electric / elite with the ball in his hands.

DJ needs to have the ball in his hands as much as possible. He's actually such a good athlete he could play any position that someone his size could play, but in all likely hood I don't see any college coach not giving him a chance to prove his worth as an offensive player.

To me it makes all the sense in the world to give him a big time chance and playing QB as that puts the ball in his hands every down.

He seriously reminds me of Lamar Jackson. Ever heard of him? He's just a Heisman Trophy winner. That's all.

I have seen him live numerous times and watched the film. I like his velocity, down field throws, and decision making. His throws on the move are outstanding. His mechanics in the pocket need a good bit of work, but he at least has a quick release which is hard to teach. The BIG question for any QB is whether they can pick out a mix of defenses OR if the offense they are in does it for them. We have had lots of good QBs on paper who could read a zone about as well as I read Greek (I don't). I think he is going to have a chance to be really good and I am ecstatic that he chose the Garnet and Black.

Reactions: BigTomE
Holy cow he still has another season of high school and already some of you are wanting to make him a DB? We have a whole season + before he even gets here and we act as if our QB situation is in dire straits until he does. He's a QB first but yes he can play other positions that's what makes him a duel threat, he's an athlete.

Reactions: NooNoo and BigTomE
Holy cow he still has another season of high school and already some of you are wanting to make him a DB? We have a whole season + before he even gets here and we act as if our QB situation is in dire straits until he does. He's a QB first but yes he can play other positions that's what makes him a duel threat, he's an athlete.
You are exactly right my friend, he hasn't even finished high school yet and some posters already say he will be a DB in college. I know one thing , his coach says he is the best player he has ever coached and Spurrier offered him when he was an 8th grader so he must have impressed Spurrier as a QB.

You are exactly right my friend, he hasn't even finished high school yet and some posters already say he will be a DB in college. I know one thing , his coach says he is the best player he has ever coached and Spurrier offered him when he was an 8th grader so he must have impressed Spurrier as a QB.
I listened to his high school AD talk about him before the commitment and he is a phenom,ran a 4.7 in the 6th or 7th grade I believe he said.

With work and polish, he could be better than Deshaun Watson or the dude at Louisville. Just an opinion.
david-stern-water.gif

Reactions: sloth9621
With work and polish, he could be better than Deshaun Watson or the dude at Louisville. Just an opinion.

Watson is special. He had a great feel for the game and was ok with putting the team on his back and carrying them when he needed to.

Everybody is looking at DJs athleticism and thinks he's going to move position.

I see him as a QB with outstanding athleticism, and shouldn't we want that in todays college football world? Our line isn't there yet, and unless Wolford pulls off some sort of miracle, won't be ready for a couple of years. I love having DJ in the mix as soon as possible. His type of QB is what's winning championships right now. Yes he's got lots of work to be done but he's a young kid.

When it's time to replace Jake I'm betting DJ will be ready to shock the world and take us to the next level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT