ADVERTISEMENT

Going to promote from within....

NooNoo

Jan 27, 2002
....i hope i am wrong. Bmac meeting with Joyner may be that indicator. I don’t like that. He has done a great job at wr coach but need to play big boy football with a proven oc. Hanging our hat on a hope that a position coach can handle it i am not sure that is good. Need some creative thought as well. Needs to be a new system.

not to bring up a bad subject but there is a school in the upstate that hired a position coach from within. I believe he was a WR's coach and he was hired to be the head coach... How did that work out?

Reactions: wentzel25
Bmac to offensive coordinator, Bentley to newly created 10th position of qb coach and hire back Jay Graham as running backs coach.

I like the idea of BMac and Graham teaming up to find us a difference maker at running back. If we're serious about winning an SEC title, then we better get better at that position. How did Auburn's offense look without a healthy Kerryon Johnson? There scored 6 points against Clemson and 7 against UGA. Even we did better than that!

Bmac to offensive coordinator, Bentley to newly created 10th position of qb coach and hire back Jay Graham as running backs coach.
I'm still not sure Muschamp will hang his career on the line with somebody who has never called plays, but this idea is not the worst ever. Is Graham even a possibility? Bentley coaching his son may seem like a bad idea; however, Jake is only here for two more years, and somebody needs to get Joyner ready to take over the reigns. Ideally, Jake shows tremendous improvement next year, Joyner redshirts, and when Jake is a senior Joyner is able to get in games for a lot of mop up duty.

At this given time, simply promoting from within is the right thing to do. We aren't going to get the OC we want in the middle of bowl season. We let BMac have his audition in Tampa, and then conduct a full search when it's most feasible to do so.
That's what I'm thinking (hoping) the plan is too. Let the bowl game be the audition. What better audition than to prove yourself against a defense that's statistically better than Clemson or Georgia?

That's what I'm thinking (hoping) the plan is too. Let the bowl game be the audition. What better audition than to prove yourself against a defense that's statistically better than Clemson or Georgia?

I’d like a whole new system honestly. Hate to say this but similar to what Klempson runs.

Yeah hopefully whoever he is going after is playing in a bowl so he doesn’t want to take them away from their duties right now and why bring in a coach for the bowl? You can’t implement your system or pholilosphy in 3 weeks. BMac will call plays in the bowl and I’m guessing we’ll hire someone a couple people after.

Reactions: rogue cock
It doesn't look like McClendon has called plays before. Bowl practice and game seems like a good interview for the position.

Seems like most college teams have had that come to Jesus meeting and are realizing that offenses like that are the future.

O really?

usa_today_10454622.0.jpg

That makes sense, but realistically you aren't going to be able to implement an entirely new system in 3 weeks time. Better to work with what you have at the moment, and then move forward after the season is over.

Of course. I am speaking of going forward.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
O really?

usa_today_10454622.0.jpg
Well when we get 2 five star running backs in here then maybe we can run that type of offense.

You'd have to be a real dope to not use your two senior all-world RB's and put all the pressure on your Freshman QB.

I don't follow. So you plan on winning the SEC with 2 and 3 star players?
Ofcourse not. I don't think you catch the eye of 4 and 5 star players running some dull offense that's ranked in the 100's in everything though. The past two years we've been running into the wall and falling down, when everyone else had figured out to just climb over the wall.

who called Jawja bowl game after Richt was canned

He was the interim head coach, did he call the plays during the game?

Regardless, I'm reading that the new OC will NOT come from within.

I think he meant that UGa, moreso, was the exception to the rule because of Chubb and Michel. Without those 2 they may have very had the same Come to Jesus he referenced.

We have the man on staff who recruited both of them, but we're never going to get those kind of backs if they don't believe we're committed to running the ball.

But to the point that "everyone is doing it; it's simply not correct. Mississippi St lead the SEC in time of possession last season and now their coach is at Florida. Jimbo Fisher replaced an air raid guy in Kevin Sumlin at A&M. I think most schools are realizing there are no shortcuts to a SEC title.

We have the man on staff who recruited both of them, but we're never going to get those kind of backs if they don't believe we're committed to running the ball.

But to the point that "everyone is doing it; it's simply not correct. Mississippi St lead the SEC in time of possession last season and now their coach is at Florida. Jimbo Fisher replaced an air raid guy in Kevin Sumlin at A&M. I think most schools are realizing there are no shortcuts to a SEC title.
Miss State's (Mullen's) offense relies heavily on a big running QB. Without a Tebow or Prescott type it's nothing to write home about. Sumlin never could field a defense, that was his biggest problem. I don't think we need air raid around here but we gotta do something that utilizes the players we have. This is the deepest I've ever seen our running back's and yet our running game isn't that good. Wth? We also didn't use Hurst nearly as much as we should have, even though he still had a good year.

who called Jawja bowl game after Richt was canned
It doesn't look like McClendon has called plays before. Bowl practice and game seems like a good interview for the position.
Muschamp giving the playbook to a guy who has never called plays before on "any level" tells me-that he still hasn't learned anything, about the offensive side of the ball!

McClendon gets his audition against Michigan. If he crushes it I'd be open to handing him the keys if Muschamp is good with it. Bmac is 34 and has been a coach a long time- this is the next logical step in his progression.

Not saying it's a slam dunk but it's good to have options.

Muschamp giving the playbook to a guy who has never called plays before on "any level" tells me-that he still hasn't learned anything, about the offensive side of the ball!

So what would you suggest him do? This isn't the official hire. I have no problem at all with BMac getting a chance to show what he can do in preparation and for the bowl game. Also, of all the time he spent at georgia and here I highly doubt he just stood around and had no input in the gameplan and play calling in itself. So don't act like he is just some nobody who has no idea what he is doing.

He may, but don't see Muschamp promoting from within. The man has too much on the line. Muschamp knows that the offenive side of the ball was his downfall at Florida. And it hasn't performed well at USC, even though I think that this is more due to a lack of talent as anything else. Everybody is satisfied with 8 wins this year, but that won't be the case, considering the teams USC beat, down the road. Nor will getting mashed by Clemson. Pretty sure that the checkbook will be open to chase whomever Muschamp may want. Muschamp well knows that if this OC pick is a dud, he will be done as a head coach.

Reactions: rogue cock

Who is he supposed to give it to?

Who is he supposed to give it to?
Someone has to call the plays in the bowl game. We won't have a new OC by then in all likelihood, and even if we did he won't be familiar with the system our players have been running all year. Nothing else makes sense but to give it to BMAC. Besides, he can't do much worse with play calling than Roper IMO.

Dan Werner and Chip Lindsey are names I've seen mentioned. Well, and Kevin Sumlin but that seems highly unlikely.

I’d like a whole new system honestly. Hate to say this but similar to what Klempson runs.
At the very least, it feels as if motion and some level of deception could be added to virtually any offensive set.

Someone has to call the plays in the bowl game. We won't have a new OC by then in all likelihood, and even if we did he won't be familiar with the system our players have been running all year. Nothing else makes sense but to give it to BMAC. Besides, he can't do much worse with play calling than Roper IMO.
So what would you suggest him do? This isn't the official hire. I have no problem at all with BMac getting a chance to show what he can do in preparation and for the bowl game. Also, of all the time he spent at georgia and here I highly doubt he just stood around and had no input in the gameplan and play calling in itself. So don't act like he is just some nobody who has no idea what he is doing.

I rather Bentley called the plays for the bowl game. But I understand him going with BMAC if he was working alongside, Roper, and he knows the system, we run better than B.Bentley. I know we don't have time to implement a new (playbook-gameplan) before the bowl game. "I just would like to see us, do something totally different, against the Michigan Wolverines defense, because I think they will shut down what we have been doing so far this year, and I wonder how much of this is 'Muschamp' still wanna pull the strings on the offense! I hope, I'm dead wrong-but we could be looking at the same thing we've been seeing the last two years come December 1st.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT