ADVERTISEMENT

Golf ball comprison

Jbouton2

Jun 27, 2020
Titleist True Feel and Chrome soft Calloway. Who has played these and how they compare?

Smalls started out with Chrome soft, but now all he plays is ProV1. Obviously he likes the ProV1 better. May not be what you're looking for, but it may help a little. I can ask him what he thinks of the True Feel, in case he knows anyone who plays them.

Titleist True Feel and Chrome soft Calloway. Who has played these and how they compare?

Not a good comparison, Chrome Soft is Urethane where as True feel is not. IMO Chrome Soft is garbage. Lots of quality issues with the balls as well.

If price is an issue look at Snell or Vice.

Smalls started out with Chrome soft, but now all he plays is ProV1. Obviously he likes the ProV1 better. May not be what you're looking for, but it may help a little. I can ask him what he thinks of the True Feel, in case he knows anyone who plays them.
Thanks for input. I play chrome soft, have played ProV1 but the price is up for me. I play between 78 - 86. If he knows anyone playing the True Feel, input appreciated.

I play the True Feel ball because I'm 70 years old and my swing speed is slower. It's a good ball but spins less than the Pro V1 or the premium Callaway ball. It's not the ball for the younger player with a lot of swing speed. Your young man really only needs to decide which of the premium balls he likes the best. A few years back, I favored the Pro V1-X because it spins a little less than the Pro V1. Spin is a good thing but too much spin takes away as much as it gives.

Tour Response, i believe is the cheapest urethane cover ball and well worth it for the medium swing speeds! The bridgestone rsx plays very similar, but scuffs up real easy!

I play the True Feel ball because I'm 70 years old and my swing speed is slower. It's a good ball but spins less than the Pro V1 or the premium Callaway ball. It's not the ball for the younger player with a lot of swing speed. Your young man really only needs to decide which of the premium balls he likes the best. A few years back, I favored the Pro V1-X because it spins a little less than the Pro V1. Spin is a good thing but too much spin takes away as much as it gives.
Your points on age and swing speed is what got me thinking of buying the True Feel. Been playing Callaway and have always liked Titleist.

Reactions: king ward
This is such a subjective question. So many dependencies on swing speed, ball flight, etc.

I used to play ProV1 only to find out that I’d benefit more from Titleist AVX. It has benefitted me tremendously.

If you’re looking for advise on a message board, you are not going to get great feedback without providing more detail on your swing.

Reactions: Robhawk29
ProV-1x, exclusively for several years,
most balls that start with the letter T are medium to good.
I occasionally play the callaway soccer ball in scramble for humor sake.
All the other balls I find, or am donated, I teach attractive young ladies to hit them into lake murray.

This is such a subjective question. So many dependencies on swing speed, ball flight, etc.

I used to play ProV1 only to find out that I’d benefit more from Titleist AVX. It has benefitted me tremendously.

If you’re looking for advise on a message board, you are not going to get great feedback without providing more detail on your swing.
Med ball flight, 90 - 94 swing speed, shoot between 78 and mid 80's. 14 hdcp, Senior tees. Just started back 6 months ago from 6 yr layoff of golf.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
If you are going to spend $45-50 a dozen on Chrome Soft why not use the ProVI or ProVIx?
Because if you can't get that club head moving through there at about 100 mph, you won't be able to compress the ball to the extent necessary to justify its price. I can hit the True Feel as far as I can hit the Pro V1 because I can compress one better than the other.

Reactions: uscedge21
Because if you can't get that club head moving through there at about 100 mph, you won't be able to compress the ball to the extent necessary to justify its price. I can hit the True Feel as far as I can hit the Pro V1 because I can compress one better than the other.
The Chrome Soft is not a low compression golf ball. If he can play those he can play the ProVI and it is a better ball.

I like the Callaway Tour Soft and the Bridgestone e6. The e6 is designed for medium swing speeds. But I still like the ProVI's around the greens. They just seem to get closer to the hole.

The Chrome Soft is not a low compression golf ball. If he can play those he can play the ProVI and it is a better ball.

I like the Callaway Tour Soft and the Bridgestone e6. The e6 is designed for medium swing speeds. But I still like the ProVI's around the greens. They just seem to get closer to the hole.
They have a great spin rate. But I've got good wedges and know how to pinch them.

I have only played about 7 years. I use Srixons. They are a good medium priced ball. I used Srixon Soft Feel for a few years and really liked them.

Then a couple years ago my instructor clocked my swing (95mph). He gave me a box of Q-Star Tours that Srixon had just come out with. I added 15 - 20 yds to my drives.

I would get your swing clocked at a golf shop. Then do a Google search for balls at that swing speed. You should get a list of at least 5 or 6 with a description of characteristics and price point for each.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Sometimes. Usually though just skim the tree lines as we are heading to the next shot. It’s amazing the number of people who don’t even look for a ball 2 feet into the woods.
I find most of mine by looking for the other guys ball in my group.I probably got atleast 400 balls at the house.just this past Tuesday I played with the same ball all round.Came out +5 or so ball count for that round.

I find most of mine by looking for the other guys ball in my group.I probably got atleast 400 balls at the house.just this past Tuesday I played with the same ball all round.Came out +5 or so ball count for that round.
best time to find balls is follow a "Scramble" golf event..

Same here. Usually they are trash balls but 1 of 5 are decent. I bring them home, cull out the good ones, clean them with a little Clorox Cleanup and put them in play. My garage is full of balls I would never play with. Every now and then I donate them to a local driving range.

Med ball flight, 90 - 94 swing speed, shoot between 78 and mid 80's. 14 hdcp, Senior tees. Just started back 6 months ago from 6 yr layoff of golf.

I will again plug Snell for you. Snell created the ProV1, TaylorMade's pro ball among others. With you speed you will not see any losses on distance or greenside control. IMO for the price it maybe the best ball around.

Reactions: kio57

I don't think there's a better ball out there for the money than the Bridgeston e6, very few of us need to be playing a $4 ball, but as stated there are plenty of them out there to be found! The find your swing speed first post is the best post in the thread!

Same here. Usually they are trash balls but 1 of 5 are decent. I bring them home, cull out the good ones, clean them with a little Clorox Cleanup and put them in play. My garage is full of balls I would never play with. Every now and then I donate them to a local driving range.
My dad lives on a course and he picks them up all the time when walking. He sold 2,000 last year to a driving range and he probably had half of that he kept as they were all good balls. He's collecting more to sell now.

That sounds dead on my game. Like I said earlier, the Srixon Q-Star Tours work well for me at that swing speed. They go for about $30 for a box of 12. Which comes out to about $2.50/ball. You can get them a little cheaper on Golfballs.com if you order the logo over-runs. Those are usually $24.95/box of 12.

My game isn’t good enough for the top shelf balls.

So true. I was a bogey golfer on my best day years ago. But I played with a guy often that was a scratch golfer and won his club championship many times. I was about to buy some Ping irons thinking that would suddenly improve my game. He told me to take that money and just go to the range. Said that unless you are at worst a 2-3 handicap that you aren't hitting the ball consistently enough for either clubs or balls to matter

So true. I was a bogey golfer on my best day years ago. But I played with a guy often that was a scratch golfer and won his club championship many times. I was about to buy some Ping irons thinking that would suddenly improve my game. He told me to take that money and just go to the range. Said that unless you are at worst a 2-3 handicap that you aren't hitting the ball consistently enough for either clubs or balls to matter

While I agree with most of that. I'm going to place a caveat about the golfballs. The compression, distance and spin characteristics vary so much from one manufacturer or brand of ball to another. Which ball you use is as important as you using the same brand of ball all the time.

Golf is hard enough without having to guess what the ball will do if you do happen to hit it well.

Not sure about that philosophy now days on equipment either, especially if you are
Playing older stuff, technology has really improved the game for even the bogey or worse golfer!

Reactions: Dizzy01
While I agree with most of that. I'm going to place a caveat about the golfballs. The compression, distance and spin characteristics vary so much from one manufacturer or brand of ball to another. Which ball you use is as important as you using the same brand of ball all the time.

Golf is hard enough without having to guess what the ball will do if you do happen to hit it well.

But to my friends point. If you don't hit it consistently enough to be around a par golfer consistently

But to my friends point. If you don't hit it consistently enough to be around a par golfer consistently
Nah I have to disagree here also.

if you’re consistently shooting par, you can probably get pretty close with knockoffs and Top Flites. I don’t play much, once a week maybe, I never practice, but what God gave me let’s me play to a 10. But I can promise you I can see differences in clubs and balls both; the technology is there. It’s not going to move me to scratch, but they can dang sure move my scores up. If I’ve been playing pro v’s and play a round with a different ball, when I get around a green I’m in trouble.

I guess I can see it both ways. The amount of effort required to get to scratch is not in concert with what I’m willing to put forth, so I’ll take the technology and break 80 occasionally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT