ADVERTISEMENT

Golf ball comprison

Nah I have to disagree here also.

if you’re consistently shooting par, you can probably get pretty close with knockoffs and Top Flites. I don’t play much, once a week maybe, I never practice, but what God gave me let’s me play to a 10. But I can promise you I can see differences in clubs and balls both; the technology is there. It’s not going to move me to scratch, but they can dang sure move my scores up. If I’ve been playing pro v’s and play a round with a different ball, when I get around a green I’m in trouble.

I guess I can see it both ways. The amount of effort required to get to scratch is not in concert with what I’m willing to put forth, so I’ll take the technology and break 80 occasionally.
I agree that it’s a combination of things. You are going to tell a difference between a box set of clubs from Walmart and a Taylor Made set from Dick’s just like you can tell the difference between a Top-Flite and a Titleist. From there though the difference starts getting small. I know guys who bought new clubs every year and tried every brand out there and after a certain level it never made much difference. Same with the golf balls. At a certain point I never noticed much difference between the upper level balls. I can tell the difference in a Top-Flite and a Titleist but I can’t tell the difference in a Titleist and a Srixon or Bridgestone. If I was shooting in the 70s maybe I could but in the upper 80s they don’t seem to make much difference.

I think the difference is seen with the people who are good ball strikers. To them, some minor adjustments may make some noticeable differences. If you just don't strike the ball well at all, then no ball is going to bail you out.
Wait, you mean you can't instantly make a crappy golfer into a good golfer by putting a $400 club in his hand? That's not what the advertisements say.

(JK)

Med ball flight, 90 - 94 swing speed, shoot between 78 and mid 80's. 14 hdcp, Senior tees. Just started back 6 months ago from 6 yr layoff of golf.
That's about me - except I am having trouble breaking 90 lately. My handicap used to move between 12-14. Now I'm just barely under bogey golf. I also don't practice much.

I hit the ball well off the tee. My drives probably average 215-220 with a high of 250. Iron play is my weakness and as I get older I find myself underclubbing too often. I'm having trouble with my putter too. I like to stay close to 30-32 putts a round. I'm about 5 over that right now. That's the difference between an 85 and a 90.

That's about me - except I am having trouble breaking 90 lately. My handicap used to move between 12-14. Now I'm just barely under bogey golf. I also don't practice much.

I hit the ball well off the tee. My drives probably average 215-220 with a high of 250. Iron play is my weakness and as I get older I find myself underclubbing too often. I'm having trouble with my putter too. I like to stay close to 30-32 putts a round. I'm about 5 over that right now. That's the difference between an 85 and a 90.
Sounds like you need a new putter Odub! You just described my game, irons are killing me and i can’t get up and down for shit, not a good combination! Sad thing is i know what i’m doing wrong and can’t stop it!

Reactions: OldWiseCock

This is me to a tee except for the putting part for now.I bought me a range finder last year and it will kill an ego.Here is the best tip I’ve ever seen for putting.I got it saved to my favorites.I can pretty much know how hard to hit it as I walk up to a green using this method.

You can go to Dicks, or golf galaxy, and they can tell you what ball is best for your swing.. also, get your clubs sized for you, you’ll shave a couple shots just from that. Swing in to out, if you want to hit from right to left, and have a steeper swing if you want to hit from left to right. Use that, go to the range and tweak it to what’s best for you.

Reactions: bflogger28
Sounds like you need a new putter Odub! You just described my game, irons are killing me and i can’t get up and down for shit, not a good combination! Sad thing is i know what i’m doing wrong and can’t stop it!
Some people have natural golf ability, but I don't. I cannot go shoot an 80 if I have not played or practiced in weeks. For awhile I practiced every day. Sometimes twice a day. (hit balls at lunch) That's when my handicap got close to 10.

The things I do wrong I do wrong a lot. I know how to fix it but getting rid of bad habits is hard unless you practice. One thing I do a lot is lift my left heel off the ground in my backswing. It is a swing key for me to feel my left foot stay planted. I take a smoother stroke if my left foot stays flat on the ground. The other thing for me is feeling gravity and using the ground. I play my best when I feel gravity start my transition. If I try to force it with my hands or arms it almost always results in a mishit.

I’m a consistent toe hitter and lack of flexibility is my main issues.I almost have to strain to get my arm parallel to 9oclock and that’s as far as I can go back.standing 12 hrs doesn’t do me any favors.I can tell I’ve lost flexibility since I changed jobs 3 years ago.

Wait, you mean you can't instantly make a crappy golfer into a good golfer by putting a $400 club in his hand? That's not what the advertisements say.

(JK)
Actually if you go to a Pro Shop and get Fitted, it will definitley improve your game..

ProV-1x, exclusively for several years,
most balls that start with the letter T are medium to good.
I occasionally play the callaway soccer ball in scramble for humor sake.
All the other balls I find, or am donated, I teach attractive young ladies to hit them into lake murray.
Me as well...I've played with the ProV for years now. I've tried to go with other balls from time to time but ultimately go back to the ProV. Just can't find a ball where I can get that kind of spin control around the green.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
My Golf Spy is a fantastic golf product review site. They cut balls in half to check on consistency in off centered layers. This drove me to the Maxfli Tour ball made by Dick's. Closest ball I could find to a ProV1 but at 2/3 the price.

PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT - CG BALANCING TECHNOLOGY

Maxfli says that its Center of Gravity Balancing Technology can produce a straighter (and higher) ball flight. While the jury is still out on what amounts to built-in Check-Go-Pro, functionality the Maxfli Tour and Maxfli Tour X CG balls are a surprisingly competent offering from the guy's at Dicks Sporting Goods.

While we can't guarantee the technology works as advertised, our test uncovered plenty of evidence to suggest that not all golf balls fly as straight as they should. Aligning the side stamp to a ball's true center of gravity might not solve all your problems, but it certainly can't hurt.

Here is their most recent review on all balls worth reviewing:

Also, FYI, Costco is about to launch their new four piece ball this spring. Don't laugh. Titleist got their panties in a wad over Costco's last 4 piece ball. They were comparable to the ProV1 at 1/3 the price. They ended up in court.

Reactions: leftneck
I play Costco balls. $1 per ball for a eurethane-covered ball. Can't really tell any difference between it and a ProV1 at $4 per. But I ain't spending $50 for a dozen balls. Sorry. Still got me two boxes of their first, infamous 4-piece ball. I don't really know what I'm saving them for.

My folks live about 150 yards from the tee box on a Par 4. Their yards stays full of balls, but I prefer to use my own for consistency reasons. They donate them to the troops and to golf programs for the yutes.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
3yonm7.jpg

• Haha
When looking at your golf score, Lee Trevino said it best: “It ain’t the arrow, it’s the Indian.”

I will again plug Snell for you. Snell created the ProV1, TaylorMade's pro ball among others. With you speed you will not see any losses on distance or greenside control. IMO for the price it maybe the best ball around.
Agreed. I am playing the Snell MTB-Black. I love them. $35 a dozen but if you bulk order they discount. They ran a Christmas special and I got 5 dozen for $26 per dozen.

Nah I have to disagree here also.

if you’re consistently shooting par, you can probably get pretty close with knockoffs and Top Flites. I don’t play much, once a week maybe, I never practice, but what God gave me let’s me play to a 10. But I can promise you I can see differences in clubs and balls both; the technology is there. It’s not going to move me to scratch, but they can dang sure move my scores up. If I’ve been playing pro v’s and play a round with a different ball, when I get around a green I’m in trouble.

I guess I can see it both ways. The amount of effort required to get to scratch is not in concert with what I’m willing to put forth, so I’ll take the technology and break 80 occasionally.
. I played the Pro V ball for years, but now I play the “Tour Soft” ball. It has most of the same qualities
as the Pro V’s but more suitable for a senior golfer. I shoot from the gold tees at my club (Worthington CC),
with a 7 handicap. In the past, I have played with about every ball you can name, including OPB”s . The e6B
and the Tour soft are my favorites.😎

Reactions: kidrobinski
Sometimes. Usually though just skim the tree lines as we are heading to the next shot. It’s amazing the number of people who don’t even look for a ball 2 feet into the woods.
Who’s only two feet deep in the woods?? I bet I can hit *any* of them fancy balls further into the woods than any of yas! 🤣🤣

Reactions: Dizzy01
Bought some Tour Response balls on Found golf ball site for $20 a dozen and they are just like new. I played them yesterday and they seem to go farther and play good around the green.

Played a round at one of the Hilton Head courses about ten years back (had a big portrait of Gary Player in the club house, whichever one that is) and 18 had a patch of thicket-like reeds and such to strategically collect overly ambitious piss rockets off the tee, which my partner immediately found. We went in to look for his ball and it was like one of those old video games where you find coins and jewels and such; pro v’s everywhere. I played off the spoils of that thicket for a good two years.

Played a round at one of the Hilton Head courses about ten years back (had a big portrait of Gary Player in the club house, whichever one that is) and 18 had a patch of thicket-like reeds and such to strategically collect overly ambitious piss rockets off the tee, which my partner immediately found. We went in to look for his ball and it was like one of those old video games where you find coins and jewels and such; pro v’s everywhere. I played off the spoils of that thicket for a good two years.

Probably Dolphin Head Golf Club. One of the nicer courses I've lost golf balls on.

But, I bear no bias nor discriminate behaviors. I will also lose dimpled orbs on the meanest cow pasture.

Ha. Back when I was a young man I was friends with a family from O'Burg who had a condo at HH. A group of us stayed there to play golf. The night before we took a paddle boat out to a pond in front of the green of a Par 3. (I think it was on Palmetto Dunes, but not certain) We fished out over 100 balls and spent all night cleaning them. Most were hit one time. The next day we put most of them back.

Oh, apparently the gators didn't mind.

• Haha
Many years ago I stayed at the Inn at Harbor Town for work and ended up with a room that overlooked the first tee. Each morning I went out on the balcony and watched groups go out for the day. Out of every foursome at least one (if not more) drove well into the woods and swamp areas every single time. I couldn’t help but laugh that those guys paid $250 each to lose probably $50 in golf balls.

ADVERTISEMENT