ADVERTISEMENT

Golfers

Jbouton2

Jun 27, 2020
Always played with a blade putter, over 40 years. Thinking of going to a mallet style. Anyone ever make this type of switch? How did you like it etc?

Reactions: BobtheBuilder1989
About 25 years ago, I went from old school arnie palmer blade to a mallet putter I picked up from golfsmith. It was one of many changes I made to shake a funk. Even putted left handed for 3 months. I didn't care for it. Contact felt hollow. I settled on a Cleveland blade. Simple. Solid contact.

Last edited:
I tried a blade and it didn't work for me. I have used mallet ever since. Not so much the putter as the puttee for me. Those 5-6 footers stare me down.

Last edited:
Yeah I made the change about 10 years ago. For me the mallet felt better immediately... especially on the pull back.

I am an awful golfer... But I I have played most of my life off and on- I use the mallet style putter and I find it easier to aim with and smoother at impact than the blades.

Try a “center shafted putter”where the shaft joins the mallet in the middle.It affords center of putter to “match up”better with the lineup of the ball and the energy is directly at the meeting of the ball.

I got a cure rx6 putter.its huge.i get picked on for using it.what I like about it and other cure putters is that they are adjustable.plus I like a heavy putter.

Reactions: atljo#
Slightly off topic but if anybody is having trouble with their distance control,this by far the single best tip I seen since I’ve been golfing.this totally changed my putting.i know how far I need to bring the club back as soon i as I walk up on the green.
https://golf.com/news/roll-it-any-distance-any-time/

Hmmmm.... wonder what happens if you are putting uphill vs downhill??? Does it still go the same distance??? What about if you putt on bermuda greens today but then tomorrow you play on bent grass greens???

I understand the theory about what he is teaching, but there are more variables that have to be taken into consideration...

My putter of choice was usually a Ping Pal or Ping Answer... Tried a Zebra for awhile, but it kept kicking me, so I had to go back to the Ping...

Hmmmm.... wonder what happens if you are putting uphill vs downhill??? Does it still go the same distance??? What about if you putt on bermuda greens today but then tomorrow you play on bent grass greens???

I understand the theory about what he is teaching, but there are more variables that have to be taken into consideration...

My putter of choice was usually a Ping Pal or Ping Answer... Tried a Zebra for awhile, but it kept kicking me, so I had to go back to the Ping...
I agree putting is about touch. Slow greens, fast greens, uphill, downhill and wind and what kind of break.

I’m not a great putter just adequate, but once I went to a mallet I never went back. I think they are better suited for the golfer that takes it straight back and straight through. In my mind the larger bottom helps keep the face from twisting, also they just seem more balanced too me, again easier to control the face.

Reactions: bucketdad

Naturally you have to hit it easier downhill and harder uphill as on any course.same goes for if it’s wet or dry.it is for getting a standard on flat putts.its really helpful when you on a course you haven’t played or don’t know the green speed.when on a new course,I hit about 3 balls,taking it back the same distance,see how far they go,then I do it again a little farther back,then on my last one I go just past my back foot.that gives me 3 distances. usually it’s around 4-5ft to 20ft +..

I’m not a great putter just adequate, but once I went to a mallet I never went back. I think they are better suited for the golfer that takes it straight back and straight through. In my mind the larger bottom helps keep the face from twisting, also they just seem more balanced too me, again easier to control the face.
The face control is what I am looking at. It seems as I've gotten older my face control and balance aren't there. Some say you lose your touch as you get older. Putting is what always saved my rounds of golf.

Try a “center shafted putter”where the shaft joins the mallet in the middle.It affords center of putter to “match up”better with the lineup of the ball and the energy is directly at the meeting of the ball.
I will do that. I have seen these while trying others.

Ping B 60 i Karsten & I own an exact copy for back up. Only the second putter I ever used. Super stroke S 10 grip. I’m money from 6’ in & lag putting is the big difference for all of us.

My first putter was a no name I bought new in Tampa when I was 14. Used it 15 years.

changing putters & reworking your continuity is extremely challenging, I discourage it.

practice hitting 5 foot lasers that don’t go 3 feet past the cup, do a right edge left edge drill where you have a flat stance and you’re literally trying to burn the edge & stop it in that 8 foot range.

also most golfers add way to much imaginary break to putts that should be played to the edge of the whole or barely a cup to either side. This means even with correct speed you’re letting the break work against you rather than hitting it straight

Reactions: Lou219
A USC engineering professor invented the Dead Aim Putter a few years ago. I don’t think they make it anymore. The theory was good, it helped you get your eyes plumb over the ball. I use a See More, the old Payne Stewart blade. I have found an oversized grip helps whether I use a blade or mallet.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Ping B 60 i Karsten & I own an exact copy for back up. Only the second putter I ever used. Super stroke S 10 grip. I’m money from 6’ in & lag putting is the big difference for all of us.

My first putter was a no name I bought new in Tampa when I was 14. Used it 15 years.

changing putters & reworking your continuity is extremely challenging, I discourage it.

practice hitting 5 foot lasers that don’t go 3 feet past the cup, do a right edge left edge drill where you have a flat stance and you’re literally trying to burn the edge & stop it in that 8 foot range.

also most golfers add way to much imaginary break to putts that should be played to the edge of the whole or barely a cup to either side. This means even with correct speed you’re letting the break work against you rather than hitting it straight
Concur with last paragraph.

The face control is what I am looking at. It seems as I've gotten older my face control and balance aren't there. Some say you lose your touch as you get older. Putting is what always saved my rounds of golf.
Age does make a difference in you can’t practice as much, example being tiger going to a longer putter. I feel like my lag putting is just as good or better just from experience, but i have always struggled inside 6 feet. I have an odyssey stroke lab mallet for sale if anyone is interested in the Columbia area!

Taylormade blade putter over here.

Having a pro correct my stance years ago did more to improve my putting than any new putter could ever do. It was an instant change. He was like, “There, now try that” and I was like, “Holy cow!”

Always played with a blade putter, over 40 years. Thinking of going to a mallet style. Anyone ever make this type of switch? How did you like it etc?
Obamacare advice.... if you like your putter you can keep your putter
Dont switch just to be switching.

I have used a blade most of my life. The one I have now (last 5 years) is a 35" Ping Redwood with a pistol grip 2.0 (oversized) However, a month ago I bought a mallet head putter with an alignment stripe down the middle just to use for practice. I do not like the sound it makes (hollow) and the only time I used it in play I had 39 putts in 18 holes which is too high. But I think it is helping me learn to keep the putter face square at impact. Last weekend I used my Ping blade and I had 14 putts on the front and 15 on the back. That is a good putting round for me.

This won't help much, but I think every golfer needs to have three or four decent putters. I've putted with three different putters this year, and each change has yielded more made putts and greater confidence, at least for awhile. The one I'm using now has been in the bag for probably three months. Putters have to be benched from time to time.

A USC engineering professor invented the Dead Aim Putter a few years ago. I don’t think they make it anymore. The theory was good, it helped you get your eyes plumb over the ball. I use a See More, the old Payne Stewart blade. I have found an oversized grip helps whether I use a blade or mallet.
That's what Zach Johnson uses also.

Reactions: titaniumspur
I moved to a mallet a couple years ago for this reason. I just seemed to open the face on every third putt even though everything felt the same. I haven’t had that problem since I switched. Probably just mental but who knows.

Another tip is make sure your face is squared at impact.you'll be surprised just a little off will make you miss. a easy way to find the right ball position is if you have a floor with lines in it,just setup as you would be putting and take a stroke and see if the putter lines up with the line on the floor at impact.just a half ball difference is a lot on the squareness.this isn’t as important I don’t think if you are a straight back and thru style.for me I have to play the ball just inside my left foot for it to return to square.any more back and it’s open.this is just something I do and may not work for others.

Switched to center shafted since I turned 60. I don’t miss short putts any more. Not as good from long distance but definitely cut down my 3 putts.

I moved to a mallet a couple years ago for this reason. I just seemed to open the face on every third putt even though everything felt the same. I haven’t had that problem since I switched. Probably just mental but who knows.
I do that too. I get too handsy and do not rotate my shoulders enough. I did that today and didn't figure it out until the last few holes - which was too late to save a bad putting round.

Reactions: Dizzy01
ADVERTISEMENT