ADVERTISEMENT

Good analysis of Staley's recruiting class...

rogue cock

Sep 11, 2000
Bluffton, SC
https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...aaUpqQfkMAT87G5RqdNboOQdCUvZfiu3gYNikXdgfOews

By Tracy Glantz

What excited Olson the most was the combination of the forwards Boston and Amihere. Boston is the higher-rated of the two, at No. 3 overall in the country, but Olson said Amihere, who was one of the very highest-ranked players in the class before tearing her ACL, may be just as good, if not better.

“Boston is in a league of her own in respect to being a low post player. She’s a consistent finisher and she combines a degree of finesse with just plain old nastiness in the block. You’re gonna know that you have guarded her playing her in the block, because she’s not gonna shy away from contact. But she’s just very skilled. She’s a double-double machine in respect to that,” Olson said.

“But the other kid, (Amihere) ... prior to her knee injury, I had her at No. 2. Now she’s back off the injury, she’s stronger and more athletic. This kid, combined with Boston, they’re the two best frontcourt players in the class. Amihere has so much potential, it’s ridiculous. ... Everyone wants a coveted post player — they got two of them, they got the two best that they could get.”

The rough comparison, Olson said, is South Carolina’s old combination of Alaina Coates and A’ja Wilson, with Boston pounding down low as the 5 in a lineup like Coates and Amihere extending to the high post like Wilson. And while Olson stressed that Amihere has a long way to go before she could approach Wilson’s level, he still praised her raw talent and physical tools.

“She’s chiseled, she’s built like a (6-foot-4) dude that can jump and jack that thing through the rim,” Olson said. “She can defend away from the basket. She could play the top of the press and she’s cat-quick enough to deflect balls and intercept balls, which leads to transtition layups. She plays at the rim and the only thing this kid doesn’t have yet is a perimeter jump shot that extends to the 3-point arc. She doesn’t have that yet. Her best work is inside, about 10 or 12 feet. That’s where she’s money in the bank. But her potential is so high. You don’t see a lot of these kids where you can really say wow, this kid’s potentially a superstar. Well that’s what this kid is.”

Beyond those two, Olson said Cooke, the second-rated point guard in the class, will give Staley “tremendous speed, athleticism, depth at the backcourt” alongside Tyasha Harris and Destanni Henderson next year. Meanwhile, Thompson, a local preferred walk-on, will add a needed 3-point threat, and Beal will be the perfect wing player to tie the whole group together.

“The Beal kid’s one of the better small forwards that’s got a certain degree of versatility. ... From a one-on-one, isolation, small forward, weakside rebounding, this kid’s as good as they come in that class, and she can knock down the 3. She can stretch you out,” Olson said.

They will usher in the merciful end of positionless basketball.

No one wants to play the post anymore. Went to a coaches clinic with a successful NBA coach that told me kids today spell post different than you or I. They spell it S-U-C-K.

I’m beginning to think he’s right

Reactions: Thigh Man
There is nothing wrong with positionless basketball; the only thing wrong with our team right now is that they're still getting used to playing together.
We'll beat less talented, less athletic teams with this bunch. We aren't going deep into the tournament ever again without establishing leverage inside. Nobody is. For us, I think the needed return to dominance in the paint starts next season and it won't be point guards doing it. Also, the nomenclature won't include "positionless", either.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
But you've got to have a presence underneath if you want to.go anywhere. So find another name for it.

Hey I agree with you. It’s just rare to find someone who wants to be a post player. Heck we cannot find one in America. All of ours are foreign, at least on the men’s team.

Hey I agree with you. It’s just rare to find someone who wants to be a post player. Heck we cannot find one in America. All of ours are foreign, at least on the men’s team.
I think we'll have enough at the forward position next year to rejoin the elite - people who can receive the ball down low and defeat some defenders while gong to the hoop . But maybe we won't call them forwards. Maybe we'll just say "those taller girls".

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...aaUpqQfkMAT87G5RqdNboOQdCUvZfiu3gYNikXdgfOews

By Tracy Glantz

What excited Olson the most was the combination of the forwards Boston and Amihere. Boston is the higher-rated of the two, at No. 3 overall in the country, but Olson said Amihere, who was one of the very highest-ranked players in the class before tearing her ACL, may be just as good, if not better.

“Boston is in a league of her own in respect to being a low post player. She’s a consistent finisher and she combines a degree of finesse with just plain old nastiness in the block. You’re gonna know that you have guarded her playing her in the block, because she’s not gonna shy away from contact. But she’s just very skilled. She’s a double-double machine in respect to that,” Olson said.

“But the other kid, (Amihere) ... prior to her knee injury, I had her at No. 2. Now she’s back off the injury, she’s stronger and more athletic. This kid, combined with Boston, they’re the two best frontcourt players in the class. Amihere has so much potential, it’s ridiculous. ... Everyone wants a coveted post player — they got two of them, they got the two best that they could get.”

The rough comparison, Olson said, is South Carolina’s old combination of Alaina Coates and A’ja Wilson, with Boston pounding down low as the 5 in a lineup like Coates and Amihere extending to the high post like Wilson. And while Olson stressed that Amihere has a long way to go before she could approach Wilson’s level, he still praised her raw talent and physical tools.

“She’s chiseled, she’s built like a (6-foot-4) dude that can jump and jack that thing through the rim,” Olson said. “She can defend away from the basket. She could play the top of the press and she’s cat-quick enough to deflect balls and intercept balls, which leads to transtition layups. She plays at the rim and the only thing this kid doesn’t have yet is a perimeter jump shot that extends to the 3-point arc. She doesn’t have that yet. Her best work is inside, about 10 or 12 feet. That’s where she’s money in the bank. But her potential is so high. You don’t see a lot of these kids where you can really say wow, this kid’s potentially a superstar. Well that’s what this kid is.”

Beyond those two, Olson said Cooke, the second-rated point guard in the class, will give Staley “tremendous speed, athleticism, depth at the backcourt” alongside Tyasha Harris and Destanni Henderson next year. Meanwhile, Thompson, a local preferred walk-on, will add a needed 3-point threat, and Beal will be the perfect wing player to tie the whole group together.

“The Beal kid’s one of the better small forwards that’s got a certain degree of versatility. ... From a one-on-one, isolation, small forward, weakside rebounding, this kid’s as good as they come in that class, and she can knock down the 3. She can stretch you out,” Olson said.

This is terrific! I love Dawn!

I think we'll have enough at the forward position next year to rejoin the elite - people who can receive the ball down low and defeat some defenders while gong to the hoop . But maybe we won't call them forwards. Maybe we'll just say "those taller girls".

Girls have less ego. Might can still find some. I know our title team had some girls willing to battle down low.

There is nothing wrong with positionless basketball; the only thing wrong with our team right now is that they're still getting used to playing together.
Just ignore king ward, he has never had a good word to say about either one of our basketball teams. If it were up to him we would have no basketball programs.

Well, where rebounds happen, put-backs happen, and fouls get drawn.

You’re going to fast & getting all technical on me, but most offensive possessions start with an inbounds pass or a defensive rebound I’m guessing.

Basketball is much more complicated than baseball

You’re going to fast & getting all technical on me, but most offensive possessions start with an inbounds pass or a defensive rebound I’m guessing.

Basketball is much more complicated than baseball
I'm just saying you can't play championship basketball with basically a team full of guards and swing people. You've got to have some true front-court power.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Just ignore king ward, he has never had a good word to say about either one of our basketball teams. If it were up to him we would have no basketball programs.
That is unsupportable and ridiculous. If I didn't care, I would stay away entirely. But I don't varnish anything.

That is unsupportable and ridiculous. If I didn't care, I would stay away entirely. But I don't varnish anything.
Maybe you do care but when it comes to basketball especially it seems you really have nothing supportive and positive to say.

Maybe you do care but when it comes to basketball especially it seems you really have nothing supportive and positive to say.
When we do something good, I'll say we did something good. Right now, the latest thing that happened is that the women beat Appalachian. That's what you call "expected".

As most of you know, I am not a Dawn fan because of the Za girl incident. Instant Karma is a term. I love my school, but she is a cancer. No one should challenge me on this, I have my opinion.

As most of you know, I am not a Dawn fan because of the Za girl incident. Instant Karma is a term. I love my school, but she is a cancer. No one should challenge me on this, I have my opinion.
Who is the Za girl & what happened? Can you fill me in please

What in the world happened to UConn? They only have 1 commitment for the class of 2019

Who is the Za girl & what happened? Can you fill me in please

Thanks. The Za girl was a waitress at Za's restaurant where Staley frequented when she was first here. No doubt that the Za girl was working to support her education. When Staley arrived for a seating, the Za girl placed her, and her friends, in a seat that she did not like. Instead of asking for another, Staley tweeted something to the effect that he had been disrespected. Za's management heard about this and in an effort to make amends to Staley, it is widely understood that the Za girl was terminated.

Thanks. The Za girl was a waitress at Za's restaurant where Staley frequented when she was first here. No doubt that the Za girl was working to support her education. When Staley arrived for a seating, the Za girl placed her, and her friends, in a seat that she did not like. Instead of asking for another, Staley tweeted something to the effect that he had been disrespected. Za's management heard about this and in an effort to make amends to Staley, it is widely understood that the Za girl was terminated.
It seems you have a sizeable investment in this story, perhaps even personal animus. In her tweets Dawn and others have characterized the incident as much more than a seating dispute. Do you have some connection to the incident?

Are you the Za girl or are you just trolling? Because it seems like you are taking this way to personal. How long ago was this?

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
It seems you have a sizeable investment in this story, perhaps even personal animus. In her tweets Dawn and others have characterized the incident as much more than a seating dispute. Do you have some connection to the incident?
Are you the Za girl or are you just trolling? Because it seems like you are taking this way to personal. How long ago was this?
Doubt cockgun answers. He/She has previously been asked his/her connection to this incident with no answer forthcoming. The Za incident was over 9 years ago. Cockgun needs to come clean with his/her connection and tell the whole story. Random snarkiness toward Dawn convinces no one.

Reactions: shiverz
I am quite capable of answering. I thought it was a low brow deal that a woman making a lot of money takes out a young woman trying to get through college. I have a problem with what went down with a Diva calling shots. Reminds me of Leonna Helmsley, check her out.

Doubt cockgun answers. He/She has previously been asked his/her connection to this incident with no answer forthcoming. The Za incident was over 9 years ago. Cockgun needs to come clean with his/her connection and tell the whole story. Random snarkiness toward Dawn convinces no one.
Please see my response above. At the end of the day, I am a man of principal, something that is almost always missing around here these days. What Dawn did was wrong in so many ways, and could have been handled with a simple discussion with management.

Last edited:
Please see my response above. At the end of the day, I am a man of principal, something that is almost always missing around here these days. What Dawn did was wrong in so many ways, and could have been handled with a simple discussion with management.
Let me rephrase my question, Dawn and others have said that it was much more than a simple seating mix up. Do you have knowledge to back up your assertion or are you going off conflicting media reports/twitter/ she said/she said accounts/or just your own opinion, which are all I have to base an opinion on?

What is a Za girl?

Let me rephrase my question, Dawn and others have said that it was much more than a simple seating mix up. Do you have knowledge to back up your assertion or are you going off conflicting media reports/twitter/ she said/she said accounts/or just your own opinion, which are all I have to base an opinion on?

Tell you what, you show me where Dawn said it was something more than a seating problem. All I know is what I read many years ago. My opinion is that whatever happened could have been handled on a one on one basis with management instead of a tweet.

Tell you what, you show me where Dawn said it was something more than a seating problem. All I know is what I read many years ago. My opinion is that whatever happened could have been handled on a one on one basis with management instead of a tweet.
So in answer to my question you have no inside information, thanks for clearing that up.
Also your comparison to Leona Helmsley is grossly over the top. I have never heard of a staffer having to hand feed Dawn a shrimp upon each completion of each lap in the pool, and as far as I know Dawn pays her taxes and is very involved in charitable giving.

Reactions: funktavious
I believe calling Dawn a cancer is also over the top. Dawn is one of the best things that could have happened for USC. In your righteous indignation you decided to be judge and jury over the incident without any first hand knowledge. After you read about the incident you decided Dawn was in the wrong and you have carried that opinion for 9 years. Glad to know your opinion is just that. . . an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT