ADVERTISEMENT

good season still?

cocks25

Oct 21, 2011
Last year we lost 52-28 to Texas am but were competitive in the rest of our games except for Clemson. Clemson lost to Georgia 45-21 who lost to us 2 weeks later. Although things are looking bad at the moment we still have a long season ahead and I believe we will still win some exciting games. Let's back our team and coaches while this ship gets turned in the right direction.

Go Gamecocks!!

Reactions: cocks4EVA_
Wish I shared your enthusiasm but the problems we have not are easily fixed. Can we beat Citadel and UCF and Vandy? Yes but nothing exciting about that. Our problems are much deeper I am afraid. How many SEC teams are playing a QB who was a walk-on? We also have WRs in 2 deep rotation who were walk-ons. 2 DC's who are probably stepping on each others toes, etc.

Wish I shared your enthusiasm but the problems we have not are easily fixed. Can we beat Citadel and UCF and Vandy? Yes but nothing exciting about that. Our problems are much deeper I am afraid. How many SEC teams are playing a QB who was a walk-on? We also have WRs in 2 deep rotation who were walk-ons. 2 DC's who are probably stepping on each others toes, etc.
That's pretty much what we're looking at. But let's be honest, the entire program sees and understands what is going on. They know there is no way to get through this season without taking some serious beatdowns from coaches and teams that have been waiting for the opportunity to humiliate Spurrier. It's a pathetic situation, but Spurrier is going to have to face the music. Not going to be pretty.

Not much hope. if we can't stop a slant or 5 yard pass time after time and allow a no name QB to complete 24/25 passes, then we have no hope. The defensive coaches couldn't even see it or make adjustments. Totally pathetic.

Not much hope. if we can't stop a slant or 5 yard pass time after time and allow a no name QB to complete 24/25 passes, then we have no hope. The defensive coaches couldn't even see it or make adjustments. Totally pathetic.

I have to admit that is was stupid that we didn't stop the slant at least 20 times in the game...

Reactions: snucock63
I honestly don't think so this year. I know I'm a clemson fan, but I think the problem is talent. My brother is a huge gamecock fan, and I kept telling him last year it wasn't ward. Everyone wanted ward fired, and so they brought in an NFL coach to coach up that defense. This year's defense looks worse. They can't tackle nor do yall have a pass rush. I don't care what that offense looks like, if you can't get players that can play on defense, you won't win much in the SEC.
That brings me to my second point. Maybe at this point a major coaching overhaul is due. You need a coach who gets out and recruits and seems enthusiastic about still coaching. People make fun of dabo dancing and having fun, but he doesn't have to impress a 30 year old white guy. He needs to impress young athletes who are 17-20 years old. I don't care what he does, the kids live him. I'm not a fan of it, but who cares. I'm talking getting out of the state and recruiting and being passionate. You guys had a great 5 years run, but all of those players were gamecocks as kids. They were in your back yard. While the state of SC typically produces talent, you can't solely rely on that. They have to find a way to recruit the heck out of other states. Also, not many teams are blessed in a 5 year span of so much legit NFL talent. You guys had a group of guys who are all starters or impact players in the NFL. When you lose those guys, and your not Bama, Lsu, or USC, that's hard to replace every year.
I think cooper is a great player, and Moore is a good player. Aside from that, I don't see any talent on that team. Too many Jucos and too many walk ons. Good thing is, most every team in the country wants and needs great players, not just yall. Take it for what it's worth, just an outsiders perspective of the current state of your program.

Reactions: xTHExNERFxHAMMERx
My thought is what are the coaches thinking when it comes to cornerback? How bad is AL Harris Jr.?!?! He has got burnt all year.

Last year we lost 52-28 to Texas am but were competitive in the rest of our games except for Clemson. Clemson lost to Georgia 45-21 who lost to us 2 weeks later. Although things are looking bad at the moment we still have a long season ahead and I believe we will still win some exciting games. Let's back our team and coaches while this ship gets turned in the right direction.

Go Gamecocks!!
The sad truth is that we have no depth, and our front line talent is not at the level of our SEC colleagues. I hate to say this, but Clemson has significantly better talent than we do. Hard to believe that we've punctuated our best ever era with this...

We'll do okay.. I see wins over UCF, Vandy and the Citadel along with possibly UF and UT.. I'll hold my breath on those two.. LSU???? We need some serious change in the D for that to happen.. and if we don't start working on our pass defense, The Taters will destroy us.

3 to go..possible wins over Central Florida , Vanderbilt and The Citadel. Pretty well sums up what the lack of recruiting has accomplished. LSU ( oh damn will that be something) , Tennessee , Florida , Texas A and M , losses for sure..then add Clemson to the mix.

Time for the Gamecocks to start seriously thinking about 1. Recruiting and 2. Hiring a head coach that will and can recruit.

Last edited:

Go Gamecocks!!
We are a dangerous team at this point. No film for teams to prepare for Nunez. I think we take the taters easy. I don't see it being a game in willie b.

I honestly don't think so this year. I know I'm a clemson fan, but I think the problem is talent. My brother is a huge gamecock fan, and I kept telling him last year it wasn't ward. Everyone wanted ward fired, and so they brought in an NFL coach to coach up that defense. This year's defense looks worse. They can't tackle nor do yall have a pass rush. I don't care what that offense looks like, if you can't get players that can play on defense, you won't win much in the SEC.
That brings me to my second point. Maybe at this point a major coaching overhaul is due. You need a coach who gets out and recruits and seems enthusiastic about still coaching. People make fun of dabo dancing and having fun, but he doesn't have to impress a 30 year old white guy. He needs to impress young athletes who are 17-20 years old. I don't care what he does, the kids live him. I'm not a fan of it, but who cares. I'm talking getting out of the state and recruiting and being passionate. You guys had a great 5 years run, but all of those players were gamecocks as kids. They were in your back yard. While the state of SC typically produces talent, you can't solely rely on that. They have to find a way to recruit the heck out of other states. Also, not many teams are blessed in a 5 year span of so much legit NFL talent. You guys had a group of guys who are all starters or impact players in the NFL. When you lose those guys, and your not Bama, Lsu, or USC, that's hard to replace every year.
I think cooper is a great player, and Moore is a good player. Aside from that, I don't see any talent on that team. Too many Jucos and too many walk ons. Good thing is, most every team in the country wants and needs great players, not just yall. Take it for what it's worth, just an outsiders perspective of the current state of your program.
Last year had very little to do with talent and MUCH to do with coaching. Talent does NOT give up three 21point 4th qtr leads and one 10point 4th qtr lead...coaching DOES!!! Also, coaching makes statements at the end of the game like" I didn't think a 1-legged QB could hurt us" and then only rushes 3-4 all day long. The one time we send the house, that 1-legged QB had to leave the game. A "D coach" would have sent the house and put that 1-legged QB on his ass over and over and forced him to make a decision to scramble on one leg all day or watch from the sideline and go have surgery. Your "best friend that's a big GC fan means nothing to me. Tell him all you want, but our issues are coaching not talent. I refuse to eval the "acc powerhouse tiggers" it might be in your best interest to do the same regarding The USC. I'm a Silver Spur season ticket holder since 1978 and also played a little ball myself. What I saw last year was "lack of coaching/adjustments" not talent. FYI, we have nine 4-star players that are wearing a redshirt this year that will play on the defense side of the ball next year.

SEMPER FI...Go Cocks!!!...

As of right now, the team and coaching staff sucks as bad as any Gamecock team I've seen in all my 52 years.

The 0-11 team played better than this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT