ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta give Muschamp credit

Even a monkey could recruit at UGA but Kirby has done a good job of getting them to play more physical than the Richt teams. Also he has been able to recruit high level 5 star quarterbacks who look even better behind massive offensive line and great running backs. Put Muschamp at UGA and Kirby at USC and I think the result would have been pretty much the same. If you can't win big at UGA then you can't win anywhere.

Muschamp is doing a very good job

I kind of disgree with this.

Look if a player is going to be something, you can put him in as a freshman and see something. Maybe he's a 6'6" 220 pound stringbean DE, but you see him make a couple big plays.

Same with a coach. If he is ever going to be even good, you see something, some sign that he can beat a team he isn't supposed to.

Muschamp was an assistant to some very big names, and at some historically very successful schools. In his words, "I know what good looks like."

But he was the head guy at Florida 4 years, and this is his 3rd one here. What you see is what you get. At this point I'm not expecting some light bulb to go off in his head and him becoming Bear Bryant.

Usually people like to mention Frank Beamer and say something like sometimes it takes time, VT was patient and look what happened. But usually it doesn't work like that. Almost always you see some kind of sign early on that a coach can win big games - particularly when he isn't supposed to.

Muschamp is a very hard worker. But I don't think it is going to be enough. Once upon a time we beat Clemson five years in a row. Dabo still found a way to go into other states and win recruiting battles against in-state schools for players they wanted. Muschamp is simply not showing he can do that.

Still I wouldn't want them to make a change. Had enough of these coaching searches and changes. As far as I'm concerned, don't even think about making a change till Muschamp has had five years here.

But we needed Bill Snyder, a guy who could beat Oklahoma with a team of vastly inferior players on his roster. We got Muschamp.

Based on what I saw yesterday, I'm wondering how bad our record is going to be this year. Can't see us beating a lot of teams with "Shakey Jake" at qb. Hmmm A&M, Kentucky, Missouri, Ole Miss (we aren't stopping that offense, and we just don't do offensive shootouts), Clemson, Florida...

What happens if he has a 4 win season (guessing we beat Vandy?), in year 3 with a team better than year 2?

I dunno, but this is a bummer. Muschamp just can't seem to outcoach anyone. I don't care how smart he sounds in interviews, you never see it on the field.

Im actually a little surprised we aren’t better on defense in year 3 under Muschamp than what we are. But he is bringing in better players so we are improving.

The hard part for us is that we are very far behind the UGAs and Clemson’s of college football. And while we are getting better players, they are too. It’s hard to catch up. Im not sure it would matter who is coaching. Muschamp has done fine. 9 win season raises the expectations. I still don’t know how we won 9 to be honest. I think we’d do well to sniff 9 wins this season, and I think we are better than last season.

Reactions: gr8spur and wcocat
The speed on defense is light years ahead of where it was when he took over.
I was a little bit surprised that the "D" gave up 41 pts........but I guess 100 degree heat, coupled
with being on the field as long as they were will do that to a pretty good defense. The offense
can share some of the blame for that!

Even a monkey could recruit at UGA but Kirby has done a good job of getting them to play more physical than the Richt teams. Also he has been able to recruit high level 5 star quarterbacks who look even better behind massive offensive line and great running backs. Put Muschamp at UGA and Kirby at USC and I think the result would have been pretty much the same. If you can't win big at UGA then you can't win anywhere.
So what was muschamps problem at Florida. Wasn't recruits. Ill wait

yeah, they definitely inherited the same situation
As the years go by that's becoming less and less of a crutch, you know. People aren't buying that anymore. We aren't asking to win every game but we are demanding to see improvement in big games in year 3 with veteran players. That's not asking a lot.

These people think you can take chicken shit and make chicken salad. No pun intended.
Which position is the chicken crap? The QB? If so then sit him and let the senior backup play. What could it have possibly hurt yesterday?

Sc isn't going to beat today's Georgia teams with the program he inherited 3 years ago ... The bad news, I'm not sure you beat Georgia in the next 3 or 4 years , Georgia is looking like the Alabama of the east for years to come... The goal is to win the division , 2nd place moving forward looks more realistic

Last edited:
The biggest problem with your assessment here is tackling. When they count how many missed tackles we had it's going to be pretty sad. Tackling is something you coach, and the players we have are talented enough to not get run over repeatedly like they did Saturday,

Reactions: drawplay000
The biggest problem with your assessment here is tackling. When they count how many missed tackles we had it's going to be pretty sad. Tackling is something you coach, and the players we have are talented enough to not get run over repeatedly like they did Saturday,

Tackling was a glaring weakness yesterday. We are outsized at every position across both lines, but even where we look the same (size wise) it seemed like GA’s players were simply stronger. How can that be?

So what was muschamps problem at Florida. Wasn't recruits. Ill wait
Did you really ask that question? Are you dense? That has been discussed here and everywhere ad nauseum.

It wasn't defense for sure or special teams. I'll give you three guesses as to what it was.

We try to strip the ball too much. Would love for Lawing to come back and for Thompson to move to LB coach where he has spent most of his career. Lawing taught tackling as well as anyone.

Tackling was a glaring weakness yesterday. We are outsized at every position across both lines, but even where we look the same (size wise) it seemed like GA’s players were simply stronger. How can that be?
That’s the difference in 4stars and 3stars they are better players

I used to post a lot. But, rarely do any more. I don't even read the board much any more. I used to attend the games. But, now, I just watch the games on TV, though not as intently as I used to. Maybe that how things evolve when you get to my age (66). I do want to say this though. It's going to take Muschamp 3 years before he has "enough good enough" talent to beat teams like Georgia, and maybe even Clemson. We are never going to recruit as well as Georgia can, bringing in a boatload of 5 stars. It just won't happen. But, if he can get, as I said "enough good enough" talent, I think Muschamp is a good coach who can win big here. But, we are going to have to give him the time. I believe when the 2021 season gets here, Muschamp will have the players and the depth to win against anyone in the country, to give us the kind of football program we have always dreamed of. As Gene Hackman signaled to his players in the championship game in the film "Hoosiers"...."patient...be patient". I just hope I'm still around to see it in a few years.

I was a little bit surprised that the "D" gave up 41 pts........but I guess 100 degree heat, coupled
with being on the field as long as they were will do that to a pretty good defense. The offense
can share some of the blame for that!
Remember, 10 of those points were indeed gifts. I know that Ga made their own breaks, also by being tough.

Going into the locker tied 10-10 would have created a new level of pressure. Still, no way we would have won against the better team.

Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
Is there a chance that maybe muschamp works the team so hard leading up to game time that theres not enuff gas in the tank during the game? Justa

Which position is the chicken crap? The QB? If so then sit him and let the senior backup play. What could it have possibly hurt yesterday?
I know I'm the minority voice. I want to see the freshman a little bit because he can hurt people with his feet. Plus, we can give him a good audition without burning up his redshirt possibilities. We could have done it last week, as well as in the fourth quarter yesterday.

Reactions: joplin gamecock 1
I know I'm the minority voice. I want to see the freshman a little bit because he can hurt people with his feet. Plus, we can give him a good audition without burning up his redshirt possibilities. We could have done it last week, as well as in the fourth quarter yesterday.
I'm surprised they haven't taken more advantage of that rule either.

Smart has recruiting advantages that Muschamp doesn't have at SC. Also, his assistants are paid somewhat more as well (Tucker 1.5 vs Robinson 1.2, Chaney 950K vs McClendon 650K, etc).
Are you suggesting that the Ga. Assistants are better? The amount of money should have No
baring on performance!

Reactions: gawgaboy
Did you really ask that question? Are you dense? That has been discussed here and everywhere ad nauseum.

It wasn't defense for sure or special teams. I'll give you three guesses as to what it was.
All I need is one guess. It was muschamp. Can recruit but can't coach

Reactions: agantt
Steve Spurrier was considered one of the best cfb coaches in the country when he took over a struggling USC football program. It took him 6 years to get things going.
The program Muschamp took over 2 years and 2 games ago, was also struggling similar to what sos stepped into, and nothing like what Kirbi inherited. Give the man time. Actually you could argue Spurrier took over a program that was in better shape than what Muschamp took over

Yeah. Guess we need better facilities

Yeah, maybe in 3-4 years we can compete with Kentucky. But, what does it matter? We can't trust our University to make a hire to get us to the level that we were at, much less the next one.

Reactions: The Cool Cock
Steve Spurrier was considered one of the best cfb coaches in the country when he took over a struggling USC football program. It took him 6 years to get things going.
The program Muschamp took over 2 years and 2 games ago, was also struggling similar to what sos stepped into, and nothing like what Kirbi inherited. Give the man time. Actually you could argue Spurrier took over a program that was in better shape than what Muschamp took over
Spurrier walked into what Muschamp walked into at Florida. A team filled with players that caused trouble. Spurrier kicked most off, kept Corey Boyd because Boyd approached Spurrier and begged to do whatever it took to play and be re-instated to the team.

He's doing a good job overall - just don't believe we will get anywhere with top-10 teams with yesterday's approach. We will never have the player personal that GA has so we need to have more unpredictability in our play calling. It's too Saban-like, Kirby-like, etc. We can't beat those guys at their own game. We will get pounded by Clemson again this year if this continues....For example, Edwards should have gotten several deep balls in the first half with one-on-one coverage by using Deebo as a decoy. Try to stretch the field early to loosen things up. If it gets intercepted, it's likely a glorified punt. But I'll take the odds on Bentley making a good pass in that situation and either Edwards catching it, or getting the interference call far more than an interception.

Spurrier walked into what Muschamp walked into at Florida. A team filled with players that caused trouble. Spurrier kicked most off, kept Corey Boyd because Boyd approached Spurrier and begged to do whatever it took to play and be re-instated to the team.

Coaching goes a long way. Jimbo Fisher is perfect example

And tx a.m. is perfect example of what us fans want. To get a proven coach and pay the money to get your first choice. Tex am went and stole a coach from a major university. Can you see tanner doing that? No. The only coaches that got us over the hump were proven winners period

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT