ADVERTISEMENT

Governor weighs in on Staley - Sterk controversy

Don’t you see the irony? Tanner’s response was nothing more than “political” while McMaster was the one who stepped forward and said what Tanner should have stated from the beginning. At least one of them had the stones to defend the coach properly.
It doesn't matter what Tanner says or does. You people on here will bash him relentlessly either way. I'll take my chances with the guy getting paid to do a job for a program that is fielding a team who won a championship, a team who made the final four, and a team who went from 3 wins to 9 wins in two years over some random anonymous armchair critics on a free site any day of the week. Tanner knows what he is doing and knows how he should approach a situation in specific circumstances better than you people who only have the information that has been released to the public.

Don’t you see the irony? Tanner’s response was nothing more than “political” while McMaster was the one who stepped forward and said what Tanner should have stated from the beginning. At least one of them had the stones to defend the coach properly.
Don't you see the reality? Tanner would have been fined by the SEC had he made any public comment similar to McMaster. He already lodged his complaint with the commissioner...that's about all he can do.

McMaster is under no similar constraints and, yet, still waited until the Republican Governor of Missouri was having his own problems....major ones...before he commented. There is your irony.

It doesn't matter what Tanner says or does. You people on here will bash him relentlessly either way. I'll take my chances with the guy getting paid to do a job for a program that is fielding a team who won a championship, a team who made the final four, and a team who went from 3 wins to 9 wins in two years over some random anonymous armchair critics on a free site any day of the week. Tanner knows what he is doing and knows how he should approach a situation in specific circumstances better than you people who only have the information that has been released to the public.
Tanner has many others to thank for the progress you mention including facility upgrade completed so far--the former AD and Steve Spurrier for instance. We have Tanner to thank for Holbrook and extremely crappy facilities at WB that are long overdue for upgrades. He did not stand up for Dawn OR FRANK, but catered to the SEC mode of doing business.

Tanner has many others to thank for the progress you mention including facility upgrade completed so far--the former AD and Steve Spurrier for instance. We have Tanner to thank for Holbrook and extremely crappy facilities at WB that are long overdue for upgrades. He did not stand up for Dawn OR FRANK, but catered to the SEC mode of doing business.
Ummm...been by WB lately? All those improvements....on Tanner's watch.

And when you are a member of a group, you play by the group's rules....unless you want to leave the group.

They didn't know what evidence if any. Today you don't know with technology, cell phones etc if they had any evidence. I agree Tanner should have taken a stronger stance but what would have happened if they actually had something other than a bluff. Tough call I just hope it doesn't effect our relationship with Staley. She is a wonderful ambassador for this school. She is USC family for sure. I'm hop Ray was in contact with her.

Aside from the ‘alleged’ fan incidents, it’s unfathomable to think that coach Staley in any way “promoted” such things. ANY comment from Tanner about her leadership in the community, support of a diverse environment, and ability to be a model for other coaches would have been welcomed and appropriate in the beginning. Instead he balked and didn’t say boo. Even if the incidents happened, does any reasonable person think Dawn supported this? You can defend your coach and still say the fan incidents are being taken seriously and investigated. Sorry I believe Ray dropped the ball and played politics.

I'm a Tanner fan and will support as long as he is the AD. I've never once been critical of him, but he dropped the ball here. He should have taken stronger position in defending Staley and should have done it earlier. If you can't see that you're just blindly supporting someone that is in position of power which stupid in the extreme. All the accomplishments you mentioned happened when he was a coach or where performed by coaches hired by the previous AD. Again I think Tanner is a fine AD, but he is not perfect and it doesn't mean you're a poor fan to question some of his decisions....it means you have a brain. Do think that Tanner has more information than the Governor?

Last edited:
So to all the Ray Tanner apologist that make excuses for him at every stumble he makes. You do not think a loud and aggressive response was called for when the AD of Mizzou made his outrageous claims?

I would not want any of you to be my attorney, manager, friend or anything else. If you do not see how standing up for the people you have loyalty to is important then I would not want to have anything to do with you. Once again Tanner was caught flatfooted and showed he is still not grown into the job. Basically this was akin to a rival coach coming over to our dugout and taking a swing at one of our players. Ray's response was to ask that coach to just stop it and leave...weak.

Tanner's not running for office. McMaster is politicking.
So then Tanner's got nothing to losr
Aside from the ‘alleged’ fan incidents, it’s unfathomable to think that coach Staley in any way “promoted” such things. ANY comment from Tanner about her leadership in the community, support of a diverse environment, and ability to be a model for other coaches would have been welcomed and appropriate in the beginning. Instead he balked and didn’t say boo. Even if the incidents happened, does any reasonable person think Dawn supported this? You can defend your coach and still say the fan incidents are being taken seriously and investigated. Sorry I believe Ray dropped the ball and played politics.

^^^THIS!!

Reactions: VirgilCaine
So to all the Ray Tanner apologist that make excuses for him at every stumble he makes. You do not think a loud and aggressive response was called for when the AD of Mizzou made his outrageous claims?

I would not want any of you to be my attorney, manager, friend or anything else. If you do not see how standing up for the people you have loyalty to is important then I would not want to have anything to do with you. Once again Tanner was caught flatfooted and showed he is still not grown into the job. Basically this was akin to a rival coach coming over to our dugout and taking a swing at one of our players. Ray's response was to ask that coach to just stop it and leave...weak.
LOL...you have just proven you know nothing about how Ray Tanner operates.

Reactions: atl-cock
I'm a Tanner fan and will support as long as he is the AD. I've never once been critical of him, but he dropped the ball here. He should have taken stronger posstion in defending Staley and should have done it earlier. If you can't see that you're just blindly supporting someone that is in position of power which stupid in the extreme. All the accomplishments you mentioned happened when he was a coach or where performed by coaches hired by the previous AD. Again I think Tanner is a fine AD, but he is not perfect and it doesn't mean you're a poor fan to question some of his decisions....it means you have a brain.Do think that Tanner has more information than the Governor?
How do you know he didn't take a strong position? Tanner never, ever does anything in public.

Reactions: atl-cock
How do you know he didn't take a strong position? Tanner never, ever does anything in public.

You can't take strong stance to a public issue in private, what good would that do? What you just suggested is .....you're better than that, that was weak.

You can't take strong stance to a public issue in private, what good would that do? What you just suggested is .....you're better than that, that was weak.
Sure you can...Tanner doesn't consider it to be a public issue. He handles everything privately...everything. Just because you and others want him to come out cussing and yelling doesn't change how he has ALWAYS operated.

Sure you can...Tanner doesn't consider it to be a public issue. He handles everything privately...everything. Just because you and others want him to come out cussing and yelling doesn't change how he has ALWAYS operated.

And you just identified the issue. Tanner didn’t consider another AD trashing our coach in the media for everyone to hear “a public issue”. Unfortunately, people sometimes take the first thing they hear in the media and run with it. Do you not think other coaches are using this to recruits and saying Dawn “promotes” this type of behavior? Ray could have issued a strong defense of Dawn WITHOUT calling the AD by name and not, in your words...”cussing and yelling”. Instead of making a timely reply supporting Dawn, he deferred to the league office and how long did it take for them to make a decision? He blew this one, plain and simple. This “handling everything privately” doesn’t always work in a social media society. You can still ‘defend’ without creating more controversy.

And you just identified the issue. Tanner didn’t consider another AD trashing our coach in the media for everyone to hear “a public issue”. Unfortunately, people sometimes take the first thing they hear in the media and run with it. Do you not think other coaches are using this to recruits and saying Dawn “promotes” this type of behavior? Ray could have issued a strong defense of Dawn WITHOUT calling the AD by name and not, in your words...”cussing and yelling”. Instead of making a timely reply supporting Dawn, he deferred to the league office and how long did it take for them to make a decision? He blew this one, plain and simple. This “handling everything privately” doesn’t always work in a social media society. You can still ‘defend’ without creating more controversy.
No matter what he said, it would create controversy. He's not going to stoop to their level. It's not his style. You don't really know what has been said or not said, so you can't say he blew it. You don't know what has or hasn't been done. Their A.D. Could have called Staley at this point and retracted. Ray is NOT going public with it.

No matter what he said, it would create controversy. He's not going to stoop to their level. It's not his style. You don't really know what has been said or not said, so you can't say he blew it. You don't know what has or hasn't been done. Their A.D. Could have called Staley at this point and retracted. Ray is NOT going public with it.

A statement of support for your HOF coach is not controversial if you don’t bring anyone else into the statement and you make it a press release. Your argument is based on “We don’t know what was said” when the argument should be the results. There are none. No retraction, no apology, and now a lawsuit by Dawn. So we can assume all of this “what has or has not been done” by Tanner didn’t result in anything of substance other than “we’ll let the league office handle it”. That is not an effective leader.

Reactions: woodruffcock
Ray was a great baseball coach.

Now he's our AD. If ever there was a time for him to come out of his shell and make some serious public statements, this was it.

Mizzou publicly trashed our beloved coach, fans and university.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dawn is disappointed in Ray.

Reactions: woodruffcock
A statement of support for your HOF coach is not controversial if you don’t bring anyone else into the statement and you make it a press release. Your argument is based on “We don’t know what was said” when the argument should be the results. There are none. No retraction, no apology, and now a lawsuit by Dawn. So we can assume all of this “what has or has not been done” by Tanner didn’t result in anything of substance other than “we’ll let the league office handle it”. That is not an effective leader.
But you are jumping to conclusions. We know there is a lawsuit, and that is why comments are not being made. Also there is a president and a BOT who want it handled the way Ray is handling it. Otherwise more would be said.

Now he's our AD. If ever there was a time for him to come out of his shell and make some serious public statements, this was it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is being handled exactly the way Dawn, Ray, Pastides, the BOT, and the university's lawyers want it handled. You're just grabbing every opportunity to bash Ray Tanner.

Reactions: stnbooth

I would be. Ray has done exactly what he should. He's not being a stupid reckless AD spouting off at the mouth, like Sterk. He backed up his coach and fans multiple times and demanded a retraction, which never came. I'm pretty sure that some serious discussions have occurred in private, and now, Sterk is being fined and sued. It would be improper at this moment for Ray or Dawn to comment. It's in the hands of lawyers now.

LOL...you have just proven you know nothing about how Ray Tanner operates.

I like Tanner as AD and think he has qualities that overcome his apparent shortcomings he has due to lack of experience. However....he is tentative in many situations and this is another example of it. When someone publically assassinates your coach....you stand up on your hind legs and burn them down as much as is possible. You do that to send the message to your staff, school and entire state that you have their back.

Now he is in a situation where people in those groups and possibly our NC winning coach feel less than supported by him. That is not good....so it is his mistake that he made here...period. Who cares if Mizzou people were offended....who cares if the SEC offices put a fine on him. A 25k fine would be nothing if he could be sure that everyone under his watch felt that he stood with them. Better to have those things occur than what he has now.

I like Tanner as AD and think he has qualities that overcome his apparent shortcomings he has due to lack of experience. However....he is tentative in many situations and this is another example of it. When someone publically assassinates your coach....you stand up on your hind legs and burn them down as much as is possible. You do that to send the message to your staff, school and entire state that you have their back.

Now he is in a situation where people in those groups and possibly our NC winning coach feel less than supported by him. That is not good....so it is his mistake that he made here...period. Who cares if Mizzou people were offended....who cares if the SEC offices put a fine on him. A 25k fine would be nothing if he could be sure that everyone under his watch felt that he stood with them. Better to have those things occur than what he has now.
What situation has he been tentative in? He is not going to "burn" people in public. He is a professional. What you are suggesting is how a teenager would handle something. You don't know how any of the "people in those groups" are feeling.

What situation has he been tentative in? He is not going to "burn" people in public. He is a professional. What you are suggesting is how a teenager would handle something. You don't know how any of the "people in those groups" are feeling.

If standing up to people that attack your organization, school, friends or anyone that is under your charge..is immature thank god "maturity" is not something we value. Pray tell what is the down side to Tanner calling out that douche in public? What someone gets offended and the thing escalates? No Christmas cards from Mizzou next year? I know how many feel because you can read their opinion. I feel pretty comfortable predicting how the coach feels if she hires a lawyers to sue....usually people that sue are not happy with the process outcome leading them to sue.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
If standing up to people that attack your organization, school, friends or anyone that is under your charge..is immature thank god "maturity" is not something we value. Pray tell what is the down side to Tanner calling out that douche in public? What someone gets offended and the thing escalates? No Christmas cards from Mizzou next year? I know how many feel because you can read their opinion. I feel pretty comfortable predicting how the coach feels if she hires a lawyers to sue....usually people that sue are not happy with the process outcome leading them to sue.
This isn’t a schoolyard fight. Coach Tanner is a professional handling matters in a professional manner. You are making a ton of assumptions (likely incorrect) about how Coach Staley feels.

This isn’t a schoolyard fight. Coach Tanner is a professional handling matters in a professional manner. You are making a ton of assumptions (likely incorrect) about how Coach Staley feels.

It certainly is not negotiations out of the Cuban Missile crisis either..it is sports. Just because people wear suits...does not make what they do all that big of a deal. You are right nobody knows how Dawn feels about it. I know I am always satisfied when I am accused publically of racism or some such nonsense and my boss does not publically respond loudly in my defense.

It certainly is not negotiations out of the Cuban Missile crisis either..it is sports. Just because people wear suits...does not make what they do all that big of a deal. You are right nobody knows how Dawn feels about it. I know I am always satisfied when I am accused publically of racism or some such nonsense and my boss does not publically respond loudly in my defense.
Tanner responded as has already been stated earlier in this thread. Did exactly what was needed.

And he did it publicly. Or pubically, if you prefer.

I thank the heavens some of you hotheads and fire breathers are not in charge of our athletic programs and are limited only to bashing everything USC on this free site originally opened for supporters of USC. How far it has fallen. Almost parallel to how far college athletics has fallen, when the President of a university spends his time and the institutions $$ defending sleaze balls like the U. of L. basketball coach.

Do some of you not realize the rule that Sterk was fined under applies to CRT as well? If CRT were to do as many of you wish, in public, CRT is getting fined too. And then y'all would be complaining that he cost us $25K.

I'm sorry, but Ray Tanner would not get fined for demanding an apology. Especially if he didn't address it to any particular individual, but anyone who would impugn Dawn's character and reputation.

No one outside the state of Missouri would have a problem with that. And I highly doubt any Gamecock fan would be upset at him for getting fined for taking up for his coach. (Though I believe it would be a public relations nightmare for Sankey and the SEC.) In fact, I think more of us would rally behind him for doing so.

While I'm with you on the rest, a private apology to a public defaming statement is worthless.

ADVERTISEMENT