ADVERTISEMENT

Great New Basketball Innovation........

ansoncock

Gold Member
Mar 14, 2001
......Except that it is not new, and certainly not great.

Who invented THE FLOP?

I think I noticed the perfection and use of "taking the charge", with a bit of theatrical flop with UNC teams either in the late 70s or early 80s. The perfected it to an art form then, and had obliging referees. I did not care for it then, nor do I like it any better now. Personally, I think it takes away from the game with a staged, cheap acrobatic fall.

Our recent game with Tennessee is a case in point. Our 178 lb (soaking wet) A J Lawson was called for knocking 212 lb, 6'9" John Fulkerson to the floor on his can, with a magnificent flop which defied the laws of physics, and made the referee the MVP of the game in the final seconds for the 1 point win.

Why can't the referees ignore it when they see it?

Forgive my rant. That is all.

Reactions: Lowcountry1
Many referees are just stupid.
Things happen really fast; maybe hard to call. Trying to give refs benefit of doubt. Maybe some training on how to spot it and a will to start ignoring it would help.

BJ McKie used to be the king of the theatrical flop. But he drew a lot of charge calls that way, and sank a lot of free throws en route to becoming USC's all-time leading scorer.
Are you sure BJ got free throws for taking charges? I thought it was a foul, but only a change in possession, not free throws. During the 90's and early 2000's.

Not defending flopping, but AJ Lawson committed an offensive foul in the final possession against Tennessee. He was out of control.
My dvr accidentally erased the game, so I am glad to hear it was a good call. I know refs don't generally like to make game deciding calls, but for something obvious I guess they must.

I remember seeing flopping all the way back in the 1960s. On TV, it was always obvious.
I thought Dean Smith introduced/popularized it!

Remember the Phil Ford hop? It seemed to me he would jump all the way into the air and then land on two feet and jump once more, without getting called for traveling? Maybe my eyes were seeing what wasn't there, but that is what he seemed to be doing. I don't recall a discussion of it. Saw it recently in a game and no traveling called.

Reactions: king ward
I thought Dean Smith introduced/popularized it!

Remember the Phil Ford hop? It seemed to me he would jump all the way into the air and then land on two feet and jump once more, without getting called for traveling? Maybe my eyes were seeing what wasn't there, but that is what he seemed to be doing. I don't recall a discussion of it. Saw it recently in a game and no traveling called.
You're not the only one who thought it. But Jordan was worse. If the really called traveling in the NBA, he never would have been more than a bench player.

Reactions: ansoncock
At least the flops in basketball haven't gotten as bad as the soccer flops.
giphy.gif

Not defending flopping, but AJ Lawson committed an offensive foul in the final possession against Tennessee. He was out of control.
So you're saying that if that had that been the Tennessee player with the ball coming down the court in that exact same situation at that same place in that exact same manner in that same game, and LAWSON or any Carolina player had gone to the floor, the call would have been the same. With a straight face you're saying this.

Not every "foul" HAS to be called, especially despite your judgement when its a subjective one, and ESPECIALLY when it the "foul" that affects the outcome of the game; that official CHOSE to make the call. One could make the case that the UT guy was sliding (which they damn sure would have in my scenario above); the UT player had position for about 1/16 of a second.

It doesn't matter how out of control he was, which he was, the defender can't just run over and jump in front and it be a charge.. he has to establish his position on the court. He didn't do that.. It was a bad call and a bad decision on AJs part. He should have pulled up and shoot the jumper because no ref on someone else's home court is going to call that a block the last second of the game... Bonehead play by AJ.

BJ McKie used to be the king of the theatrical flop. But he drew a lot of charge calls that way, and sank a lot of free throws en route to becoming USC's all-time leading scorer.
Hold up man, we are only complaining about the other teams that do it here... Let’s not get all crazy and be fair in our perspective OK? This is sports- hypocrisy is celebrated and every whistle is supposed to go our way, if not then the refs are either stupid or they are paid off.

Reactions: GandBinNC

Anytime someone brings up flopping, I automatically think of BJ. Kid would slide 15 feet every time someone drove near him. It seemed quite effective.

Reactions: GandBinNC
Anytime someone brings up flopping, I automatically think of BJ. Kid would slide 15 feet every time someone drove near him. It seemed quite effective.
Well, I cannot argue with a kid doing what is effective for himself. I just wish the referees would recognize it, then ignore it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT