ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest player in SC High School History ??

Is anyone old enough to see Bennie Galloway ?? I grew up hearing stories about him

I never personally saw him play but I remember when he played. He was about one year behind me in school. He was the most talked about running back I ever heard about in the state of SC up until that time.

Tony Rice, was very good. Maybe not the greatest, but very good.

Tony was a heck of a player. He was in Appalachian 2A conference. We were unfortunately in the same conference with Woodruff during those great Willie Varner years. We played Tony for the conference title on our home field his Senior year and in the 2nd half he turned it into the Tony Rice show and scored like 5 tds. Also a very good basketball player.

1. Freddie Solomon. My dad-in-law played with him at Sumter High. Stories from that era keep me entertained!
2. Stephen Davis. I was on the SHS Gamecock '91 team that was USA Today #9 ranked. Davis made us look like Alice Drive Middle versus Varsity. His size, speed, power might have only been matched by George Rogers in W-B stadium history.
I saw Freddie play only one time. But that was enough to convince me. I’d love to hear some tales about him.

I saw Freddie play only one time. But that was enough to convince me. I’d love to hear some tales about him.
I had a friend in high school that had 3 missed tackles on one play as Freddie Solomon crisscrossed the field several times on a td run. I played the infield in baseball for a rival high school and we had heard rumors my senior year that Solomon was going to play baseball for Sumter High. Our biggest fear was to get him in a rundown and not being able to tag him out! (-:

I will catch flack for this....but in person:
Dupree Hart. Never saw him coming close to being stopped. He was more explosive than Cordarelle Patterson was in the same offense...and did it from every position on offense. So, I know some will say the most dominating I've ever seen was in a great system, coaches, surrounding talent, etc. ....but he was 5'5 and fearless.... and he could throw, run, catch, return punts, return kicks as good as anybody.

Also, I never saw or heard of these guys being contained:
Demetrius Summers
Marcus Lattimore
JD Clowney (except for that Saturday ESPN game during the day vs. NW). Every other time I saw him play he was literally THE man against boys. Was in college too, of course.
-Roscoe Crosby

*I had always heard Stephen Davis....but the two games I saw him playing in person he didn't do great. His Senior year (92) against NW (in Rock Hill) and Shrine Bowl. Of course....those are two tough defenses to deal with...but still it skews my opinion. I'm sure they all had a game or two they weren't great - LOL.
*I always heard Rick Sanford was great. Never saw him play, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootballCityTATER
Stanley Morgan gets my vote because I experienced his talent on the field.

John Abraham not being mentioned. I guess because he only played his senior year of hs football.

there were a bunch of great black players from the HIGH SCHOOL segregation era that are not being mentioned but had excellent careers at SC State and in the NFL

Reactions: scartiger
Best offensive player— Freddie Solomon
Best Defensive player— Jadeveon Clowney
Best player not Yet Mentioned— Big Bennie Blocker...Lancaster SC. Went to Micigan State.

Cliff Matthew's was pretty good.

Personally, the best I saw was Marcus Lattimore. He was a man and always went forward.

If he hadn't ruined his knee his senior year at Easley "Get-away Galloway" could have won the first Heisman at Carolina. A man among boys even as a varsity 9th grader.

Yeah I heard the same thing . Such a shame . Speaking of injuries one of the best high school players I’ve seen in the last twenty years was Matt Coffee . Remember being so excited when he commited to USC and I was at the game his senior year when he blew his knee out and he was never the same . I think he blew the same knee out twice when he was at USC . We recruited him as a RB but he was the scariest middle LB I’ve ever seen and I think that’s where he would have ended up . Just kills me thinking about how good our defense would have been if he never got hurt . Great kid too .

Best player I saw in person was probably Tracy McGriff. Based on what I've read and heard, it's hard to put anyone above Clowney. I know the older generation talks about Freddie Solomon a lot but he was before my time.

Reactions: king ward
Steve Davis
Had a buddy tell me that he and other defensive backs would pretend to misread plays to avoid tackling Davis. He said that once Davis got into the secondary and had some speed, he'd truck little defensive backs rather than avoid the tackle.

He was know to embellish, so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: king ward
I never personally saw him play but I remember when he played. He was about one year behind me in school. He was the most talked about running back I ever heard about in the state of SC up until that time.

Yes. I remember him well. He was an awesome running back. When my wife and I were students at USC, he called on us to sell a life insurance policy. We spent lots of time talking about his time at Easley High School, and a particular player on the Greenville High School football team that he didn't like.

My Upstate cousins who played for Seneca back in the 70s say Stanley Morgan was easily the best they never tackled.

I'm thinking guys like Art Shell and Donnie Shell ...

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I don't know, but I'm going to go with Clowney. I heard numerous recruiting experts refer to him as the top high school recruit of all time. I do remember him appearing on the cover of ESPN magazine while still in high school That's not everything, but it can't be nothing either. The highlight reels of him at South Pointe (against strong competition) showed an NFL player playing against high schoolers.
this is correct answer.. lots of great ones but there really is no argument here

Reactions: cockofdawn
Hard to compare different positions but at the RB Position - Derek Watson who I believe was more talented than Demetrius Summers.

I don't know, but I'm going to go with Clowney. I heard numerous recruiting experts refer to him as the top high school recruit of all time. I do remember him appearing on the cover of ESPN magazine while still in high school That's not everything, but it can't be nothing either. The highlight reels of him at South Pointe (against strong competition) showed an NFL player playing against high schoolers.

Spurrier commented that Clowney probably could have gone straight from high school to the NFL.

There's some hyberbole there, but that tells you how far advanced he was over his "peers."

I remember being a little kid and watching our high school team against Soloman. They played defense standing up at every position. We lost.

Interesting to get y’all’s take . This doesn’t take NFL success or even College Success into account . Also don’t be a d bag and exclude a guy because he didn’t go to USC . My dad and uncles all say Stanley Morgan . Clowney ?? AJ Green ?? Lattimore ?? Art Shell ?? Stephen Davis ?? Go back as far as you wanna go
Saw Deandre Hopkins play at daniel a couple of times. He was elite, at he high school level. There was also a kid from Rock Hill in the 90's his last name is Hope maybe Chris Hope, went to play at fsu. I saw him play against lexington. Both of those guys made everyone else look pedestrian.

Is anyone old enough to see Bennie Galloway ?? I grew up hearing stories about him
I am a Pickens High Alum, so had the chance to see Bennie Galloway and Easley High play many times. He is without a doubt the best HS running back I’ve ever seen. Could run backwards, sideways, as fast as the competition.
Had he not had the knee injury, believe he would have been among the best ever at UofSC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT