ADVERTISEMENT

GREATEST VICTORY IN HISTORY OF USC BASKETBALL

Not bigger, more immediate. May I ask how old you were in 1971?

I was several years away from being born in 1971.

I still think yesterday's win was bigger for several reasons.

1. The more recent things are, the generally more important they are. This is because of the culture we live in. It's a "what have you done for me lately" culture. It is what it is, as the fella says.

2. In NCAA basketball, the most important things are what you accomplish in the Big Dance. Conference titles are nice, but the things people really remember are the great upsets, the deep runs, and the cinderella stories in the Big Dance. Winning the ACC tournament was and is a big deal, but ask Duke whether they'd rather be playing in the Sweet 16 right now or have the 2017 ACC Tournament title. I think they'd trade that ACC championship in a heartbeat for a chance to play Baylor on Friday.

3. The ACC Championship in 1971 was mainly a regional thing. Local papers in the Carolinas and Virginia probably covered it, but that's about it. No ESPN, no CBS sports, no internet. Heck, was our 1971 ACC title game even televised? I mean, television was still a recent invention in those days, right? Millions more people were paying attention to last night's win than the 1971 ACC championships.

4. Ask a recruit which is more important.

The McGuire era was special, but it took place back before college basketball really took off (in the era of the field of 64, Michael Jordan, and ESPN).

Reactions: IrmoRed
The 71' ACC tournament was televised by Jefferson Pilot (regionally) They left as soon as we won, no interviews, showing us cutting down the nets, nothing. Bunch of PO'd Tar Heels.

I was several years away from being born in 1971.

I still think yesterday's win was bigger for several reasons.

1. The more recent things are, the generally more important they are. This is because of the culture we live in. It's a "what have you done for me lately" culture. It is what it is, as the fella says.

2. In NCAA basketball, the most important things are what you accomplish in the Big Dance. Conference titles are nice, but the things people really remember are the great upsets, the deep runs, and the cinderella stories in the Big Dance. Winning the ACC tournament was and is a big deal, but ask Duke whether they'd rather be playing in the Sweet 16 right now or have the 2017 ACC Tournament title. I think they'd trade that ACC championship in a heartbeat for a chance to play Baylor on Friday.

3. The ACC Championship in 1971 was mainly a regional thing. Local papers in the Carolinas and Virginia probably covered it, but that's about it. No ESPN, no CBS sports, no internet. Heck, was our 1971 ACC title game even televised? I mean, television was still a recent invention in those days, right? Millions more people were paying attention to last night's win than the 1971 ACC championships.

4. Ask a recruit which is more important.

The McGuire era was special, but it took place back before college basketball really took off (in the era of the field of 64, Michael Jordan, and ESPN).

The premise behind #3 - having to do with national awareness - is incorrect. #4 is dubious because proximate events will always take precedence in people's consciousness and is thus no objective criterion as to the actual value of anything. Do you suppose that a World Series won by the NY Yankees back then was less valuable than now because there were fewer people around to know about it?

The ACC was the most prestigious conference in college basketball then, even as it is now (deservedly or not), the basketball equivalent of SEC football throughout most of the past several decades.

And it was a big deal nationally, even back then, although the dissemination of sports was admittedly less than now. They knew who Frank McGuire, Bones McKinney, Vic Bubas, and Everett Case were In New York, Chicago, and LA.

And winning the tournament meant winning the recognized conference championship and being the league's only representative in the NCAA Tournament, which was of monumental importance then as it would be today if that system were still in force.

It was the only time that we have been champion of the best conference in America, and it was our last shot at attaining that distinction.

You and I are probably destined to disagree, but I'm comfortable assigning equal importance to the 1971 ACC Championship game as to this weekend's achievement, great as it was. We still won no championship this weekend.

Now, if we go on to cut down the nets in NY and bring home the next available trophy, I will be happy to reassess.

The premise behind #3 - having to do with national awareness - is incorrect. #4 is dubious because proximate events will always take precedence in people's consciousness and is thus no objective criterion as to the actual value of anything. Do you suppose that a World Series won by the NY Yankees back then was less valuable than now because there were fewer people around to know about it?

The ACC was the most prestigious conference in college basketball then, even as it is now (deservedly or not), the basketball equivalent of SEC football throughout most of the past several decades.

And it was a big deal nationally, even back then, although the dissemination of sports was admittedly less than now. They knew who Frank McGuire, Bones McKinney, Vic Bubas, and Everett Case were In New York, Chicago, and LA.

And winning the tournament meant winning the recognized conference championship and being the league's only representative in the NCAA Tournament, which was of monumental importance then as it would be today if that system were still in force.

It was the only time that we have been champion of the best conference in America, and it was our last shot at attaining that distinction.

You and I are probably destined to disagree, but I'm comfortable assigning equal importance to the 1971 ACC Championship game as to this weekend's achievement, great as it was. We still won no championship this weekend.

Now, if we go on to cut down the nets in NY and bring home the next available trophy, I will be happy to reassess.

And of course, only the conference champion got to go dancing back then. This cannot be underestimated.

Reactions: king ward
The 71' ACC tournament was televised by Jefferson Pilot (regionally) They left as soon as we won, no interviews, showing us cutting down the nets, nothing. Bunch of PO'd Tar Heels.
They don't have that power today, thankfully. Why should JP side with the tarholes against us?

They don't have that power today, thankfully. Why should JP side with the tarholes against us?
I believe the Jefferson Pilot Insurance company was based in North Carolina. Also back then the ACC was controlled by the four North Carolina schools. They hated that a newcomer like us would dare beat their beloved Tar Heels!

Mike Grosso. Eddie Cameron of Duke and for who Cameron Indoor Stadium was named after, was the one led the shenanigans to block Mike Grosso from playing for the University of South Carolina. Mike Grosso was the #2 recruit in the country his senior year in high school. The #1 recruit was a player named Lew Alcindor...Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Grosso ended up transferring to Louisville, where he averaged 19 points a game and led the country in rebounding for two years averaging I think over 19 rebounds a game.

This was one of the main catalysts for Coach McGuire leading the effort for us to eventually leave the ACC. Tonight was the hugest of wins for a lot of great people who have worn the Garnet and Black and one who wanted to wear it but was not allowed to by the ACC.

Tommy Moody did a radio report tonight prior to the game reviewing all this and says Mike still comes to a lot of Gamecock functions and loves the Gamecocks. Tonight is undoubtedly a great landmark moment in University Of South Carolina athletic history.
I was wrong on so many levels! But the impetus of my post was to provide one of many of the reasons we left the ACC.
Thanks to numerous friends for getting this post corrected!

Reactions: king ward
Here is when we won the ACC Champions -FOREVER

Grainy and it's hard to tell which one tapped the ball. If I was forced to say, I would guess the NC player tapped it to Owens accidentally. I watched that game on living room couch with my beautiful wife and I jumped higher than the NC player and I'm 5' 8".:)

Grainy and it's hard to tell which one tapped the ball. If I was forced to say, I would guess the NC player tapped it to Owens accidentally. I watched that game on living room couch with my beautiful wife and I jumped higher than the NC player and I'm 5' 8".:)
Kevin Joyce got it clean.

It all comes down to national coverage. Everyone knows results immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT