ADVERTISEMENT

Greenville News Article

Looking back, Tanner should have never allowed Spurrier to retire mid-season. I'd have said "no, you stick it out or you quit. You quit and your contract is void and you won't get paid a dime after today. This is your mess, you see it through all the way or clean out your office and hit the road."

Looking back, Tanner should have never allowed Spurrier to retire mid-season. I'd have said "no, you stick it out or you quit. You quit and your contract is void and you won't get paid a dime after today. This is your mess, you see it through all the way or clean out your office and hit the road."
ABSOLUTELY spot on!

Well, perhaps the reason that did not happen is because Spurrier is/was a bigger name than Tanner.

Reactions: nikolas22
Once again, Spurrier did not quit on the team, the team quit on him. Leaving when he did was the right thing to do.
I thought that was the case at the time, but now i'm starting to feel differently. His exit gave the team a different attitude for a while. But now it seems that Elliot's team was phony and manufactured. If Spurrier would have finished out the season, it probably wouldn't have made any difference. We would have probably beaten Vanderbilt and lost the rest. This was not a 'different team' after Spurrier left, just a team that was shined up a little bit on the surface.

Reactions: robertfootball
The thing about sports is "sparks" only last for a game or two, three at most. You can't sustain "spark" unless you back it up with success. Elliot's message might have been refreshing for a couple weeks but it was still the same team with the same problems and unless those problems are fixed, they'll eventually rise back to the surface. I kinda wish we'd saved our "spark" for the Clemson game to be honest.

Once again, Spurrier did not quit on the team, the team quit on him. Leaving when he did was the right thing to do.
he quit...firing him would have been the right thing to do..how was him leaving the right thing to do?,,Did it make the team better? Hell we just got beat by The Citadel

um... that's not how contracts work

um... that's not how contracts work
Not all contracts are the same and we don't know what was in Spurrier's contract. What I do know is whoever drew up his contract gave him an out to up and quit anytime he wanted AND GET PAID FOR IT! That's not good business and that's not the first stupid decision we've made in our athletics history. Usually if you up and quit, especially DURING the season, you forfeit the rest of your salary unless it's for medical reasons or something like that.

Well, perhaps the reason that did not happen is because Spurrier is/was a bigger name than Tanner.
Whoa wait a minute Tanner won you not 1 but 2 NC's and he's the lesser name? I'm a tater but Ray Tanner is a class act. Noway Tanner would have left mid season. It's not tanners fault that the football program went south. I can't believe some of things i read on here about Tanner.

Whoa wait a minute Tanner won you not 1 but 2 NC's and he's the lesser name? I'm a tater but Ray Tanner is a class act. Noway Tanner would have left mid season. It's not tanners fault that the football program went south. I can't believe some of things i read on here about Tanner.
I don't believe that I said Tanner was not a class act. I did not as a matter of fact but at the same time, Tanner does not have the name in college football (and that is the subject) that Spurrier does. One other thing since you have no idea of the circumstances leading up to Spurrier's departure, you have no clue as to what Tanner would or would have not done in the same situation.

I hope that clears things up a bit for you. Have good day!

I don't believe that I said Tanner was not a class act. I did not as a matter of fact but at the same time, Tanner does not have the name in college football (and that is the subject) that Spurrier does. One other thing since you have no idea of the circumstances leading up to Spurrier's departure, you have no clue as to what Tanner would or would have not done in the same situation.

I hope that clears things up a bit for you. Have good day!
I didn't say you said that. But if you think for a second Ray would leave his team the you don't know much about Ray Tanner. Have a nice day

I didn't say you said that. But if you think for a second Ray would leave his team the you don't know much about Ray Tanner. Have a nice day
I don't think Tanner would've left either, but still not sure that it would be the right decision.

This wasn't a decision about class, quitting, or sticking with anyone. The team had already quit. It was becoming divided into camps with many revolting against Spurrier and others supporting him. This could not be allowed to continue.

Anywhere or anyone else, and this would've resulted in the mid-season firing of the coach. Since it was Spurrier, it became a situation where you can't fire the guy without looking bad nationally. So, Spurrier fired himself. He knew that he was doing a terrible job and causing problems within the team and program. So, he took the pressure off of Tanner and gave the assistant coaches a shot to prove themselves.

Ridiculous what some people post about Tanner isn't it.

I don't think Tanner would've left either, but still not sure that it would be the right decision.

This wasn't a decision about class, quitting, or sticking with anyone. The team had already quit. It was becoming divided into camps with many revolting against Spurrier and others supporting him. This could not be allowed to continue.

Anywhere or anyone else, and this would've resulted in the mid-season firing of the coach. Since it was Spurrier, it became a situation where you can't fire the guy without looking bad nationally. So, Spurrier fired himself. He knew that he was doing a terrible job and causing problems within the team and program. So, he took the pressure off of Tanner and gave the assistant coaches a shot to prove themselves.
Beck, you are going to have to be careful trying to bring some level headed sense to this blood letting! LOL!

Thanks beckham, I think that is about right. Sort of a tricky situation for Tanner considering Spurrier's name. That was what I was trying to say without going into a lot of detail.

Thanks for cleaning it up.

Read the article, OU lost to Texas ... NOT a 10-0 start. I suppose the point is still valid, but but sloppy reporting on facts that it takes one click of the mouse to check makes me doubt all the "insites". If she can't get the record right, how does she know this guy would have signed with USC? Meh...

Ok I understand just don't understand some of the hate for Tanner

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT