ADVERTISEMENT

greg little #1 recruit for 2016 his dad played for us why

Originally posted by craneoperatr1@aol.com:
why in the world can't we get him to commit to us?
It took Spurrier a long time to change the culture of South Carolina with the fans, it's even harder for players to make that change when pervious coaches didn't help, by inviting former players back to Carolina...

When you love USC like I do it hurts to see our competitors already getting 5-star commits for next year. A&M, UGA. No waiting till signing day to decide. And having those guys helps to lure others too. I do see that there are two 5-star guys from North Carolina. A defensive tackle and a linebacker that goes to Havelock. I think that's the same school Pharoah went to? Anyways I'd at least like to see us be a major player for those guys. Cause if they go to a Tenn. or UGA or Florida it makes our job even harder. We are the closest school to them that plays in the best conference. Some of the newest top notch facilities. A program and coach that does it the right way. If they choose an SEC school it needs to be us! We have got to get kids like that if we are going to take another step!

Originally posted by Judson1:
When you love USC like I do it hurts to see our competitors already getting 5-star commits for next year. A&M, UGA. No waiting till signing day to decide. And having those guys helps to lure others too. I do see that there are two 5-star guys from North Carolina. A defensive tackle and a linebacker that goes to Havelock. I think that's the same school Pharoah went to? Anyways I'd at least like to see us be a major player for those guys. Cause if they go to a Tenn. or UGA or Florida it makes our job even harder. We are the closest school to them that plays in the best conference. Some of the newest top notch facilities. A program and coach that does it the right way. If they choose an SEC school it needs to be us! We have got to get kids like that if we are going to take another step!
i'm not talking about just any 5star player, his dad played 4yrs for us from 85-88.

cliff notes - LB Derrick Little (from Athens GA) was a 3 year letter winner at USC. he was hampered with a couple injuries his Jr season and started 5 games. Patrick Hinton ended up starting. Little thought he should get more PT his Jr season and felt like Joe Lee Dunn wasn't giving him adequate playing time.

he was drafted in 1989 by Tampa Bay in the 6th round with USC being his listed school.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19880218&id=bEMsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qs4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6489,868691

Gregory Little - "I didn't watch a ton of college football growing up, to be honest," he said. "When I did watch it, I was a big Texas Longhorns fan. I liked watching Vince Young and Colt McCoy in those days. Once those guys were gone, I stopped watching though."

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see what some of these schools tell

recruits. As Ron Morris said in yesterday column, honesty hurt Spurrier in this year's class. I think honesty has always hurt Spurrier. He doesn't kiss the kid's ass like other coaches do, doesn't result in negative recruiting, and doesn't make wild promises he has no intention of fulfilling. I can only imagine Dumbo is using yesterday's campus shooting against USC.

Originally posted by 2u0s0c1:

cliff notes - LB Derrick Little (from Athens GA) was a 3 year letter winner at USC. he was hampered with a couple injuries his Jr season and started 5 games. Patrick Hinton ended up starting. Little thought he should get more PT his Jr season and felt like Joe Lee Dunn wasn't giving him adequate playing time.

he was drafted in 1989 by Tampa Bay in the 6th round with USC being his listed school.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19880218&id=bEMsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qs4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6489,868691

Gregory Little - "I didn't watch a ton of college football growing up, to be honest," he said. "When I did watch it, I was a big Texas Longhorns fan. I liked watching Vince Young and Colt McCoy in those days. Once those guys were gone, I stopped watching though."
Little changed his mind and played his final year for USC.

Re: I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see what some of these schools tell

Originally posted by IrmoGamecock:
recruits. As Ron Morris said in yesterday column, honesty hurt Spurrier in this year's class. I think honesty has always hurt Spurrier. He doesn't kiss the kid's ass like other coaches do, doesn't result in negative recruiting, and doesn't make wild promises he has no intention of fulfilling. I can only imagine Dumbo is using yesterday's campus shooting against USC.
Spurrier is a man of his words and why lie to recruits and promise them unicorns and rainbows....

Originally posted by usctim#:

^^^^^^^^^LOL. Thanks I needed that laugh.
People are starting early with complaints about next year's recruiting.

Fans seem to think we should be big players in every local kid's decision. Most of these kids didn't grow up attending every home game or being a die hard fan like we have. We are fools to think if USC isn't in the final running for a young talent, then our coaches must have dropped the ball or not tried hard enough. Some kids just want to go somewhere else and play ball. If my dad had gone to school at Carolina, it would not have shaped me either way. I see on this site too many times the statements such as "his dad played here", "we are the closest school", "we play in the SEC", "a current player played at the same high school". The biggest item that hurts Carolina sports, has and will always be, Columbia, SC. Look at the towns you have to compete with (like it or not a town that is practically known for a particular school helps a lot): Athens, Clemson, Gainesville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, hell even Knoxville is know for UT.

If you were an 18 year old kid, I'm sure lots of times the family and kid enjoys smaller towns instead of Columbia. (And please don't compare us to Miami, Southern Cal, UCLA, etc. Columbia is not the same.) With that being said, I love Columbia but we have to, as fans, stop thinking kids grew up loving our school and dying to play for South Carolina. That's why we will never be able to constantly recruit high rated players from states others than Florida, Georgia, SC and NC.

Originally posted by mtubs18:
Fans seem to think we should be big players in every local kid's decision. Most of these kids didn't grow up attending every home game or being a die hard fan like we have. We are fools to think if USC isn't in the final running for a young talent, then our coaches must have dropped the ball or not tried hard enough. Some kids just want to go somewhere else and play ball. If my dad had gone to school at Carolina, it would not have shaped me either way. I see on this site too many times the statements such as "his dad played here", "we are the closest school", "we play in the SEC", "a current player played at the same high school". The biggest item that hurts Carolina sports, has and will always be, Columbia, SC. Look at the towns you have to compete with (like it or not a town that is practically known for a particular school helps a lot): Athens, Clemson, Gainesville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, hell even Knoxville is know for UT.

If you were an 18 year old kid, I'm sure lots of times the family and kid enjoys smaller towns instead of Columbia. (And please don't compare us to Miami, Southern Cal, UCLA, etc. Columbia is not the same.) With that being said, I love Columbia but we have to, as fans, stop thinking kids grew up loving our school and dying to play for South Carolina. That's why we will never be able to constantly recruit high rated players from states others than Florida, Georgia, SC and NC.
Is it too much to expect at least an official visit from either one of the North Carolina five stars I spoke of earlier or Mr Little? One of them played at the same school as Pharoh. He is a star here and that should get us in the door. And another's dad played here. Get them to visit here and show them all of the new exciting things going on here. I don't know the kids but if they are interested in SEC schools then convince them to see ours. Now we may strike out with all three but it's opportunities like this, one is a legacy. one has a teammate here, and one has USC as the closest SEC school, that we must pursue as hard as possible! Because if Georgia, or Tennessee, or clem$on get the visit and or the commitment then we are just spinning our wheels. It starts with opportunities like this! We have a great coach here. But we have to convince a few great players from out of state to come when our own state isn't producing them for us. If we don't get an official from any of the three then it's a great disappointment. This area of the football program is the most glaring component that is holding us back. We have got to get these kids to look at USC as a cool place to play ball!
This post was edited on 2/6 8:24 AM by Judson1

Re: I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see what some of these schools tell

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Originally posted by IrmoGamecock:
Spurrier is a man of his words and why lie to recruits and promise them unicorns and rainbows....

tumblr_mg6f8jLBUD1qz4st8o1_500.jpg

Originally posted by mtubs18:

And there's your problem. I suspect (but don't know) that this attitude exists among your coaches and staff too. USC has some good selling points and your staff has to believe in the program. By contrast, Dabo believes (and I mean BELIEVES) that he can sell Clemson to any kid. His staff feels the same way. Whether the angle is "you're a legacy" or "blaze your own bath even though your Dad played at UF"... it doesn't matter. He sells the program. Does it work all the time. Nope, Clemson isn't for everyone and their are plenty of kids with no interest in Clemson even after the "sell".

One thing is for sure. If you don't make that effort and others do, you aren't getting that player. If Dabo were your HC, you'd better believe PC would be in contact with that kid and would be his host when/if he visits.

Amen,Amen,Amen! I am agreeing with a Tiger,but it is the truth. If you are waiting on every recruit to be a fan or grow up only watching Carolina then we will always be disappointed with our recruiting.

You absolutely have to sell your product, not hope they are a past players son, longtime fan, or live nearby. Carolina can compete with any school, if you accentuate the positive and believe it and sell it... Over and over until it is what everyone always hears, sees and finally believes.

We can't sell ourselves short and just wish we could recruit player X,Y and Z. Go recruit them and don't give up recruiting that top notch player.

One thing for sure...if you don't ask him to come to Carolina.... He won't!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT