ADVERTISEMENT

Gubner leaves golf courses, gun shops, hardware's open.

Just played 18 holes today (I’m separate carts) it was beautiful out there. As of today 0.00073% of the American public has tested positive for this virus. And the percentage that has died is MUCH less. I’m playing again tomorrow morning (in separate carts of course).

So current definition of exposure is 5 minutes within 6 feet with an infected patient. Easily avoidable on golf course. My biggest concern would be the spitting that goes on.

If you are worried about transmission on golf course.....don't play golf.

Maybe we should tell the doctors, nurses and techs to quit going to work. They are at risk of getting and spreading the virus infinitely more than some golfer.

Please try to maintain some sanity people. I am trying not to judge fellow gamecocks, but some of you are taking this a tad too far.

I now know 3 people who have had it....all fine. I know of multiple people that I do not know personally, but are pretty sickly to begin with, that have also survived. Not saying that infections can't lead to death, but current data in Italy based on estimating untested "positives" and even adding 45,000 estimated untested deaths, think that the death rate is between 0.3-0.6%...3-6x worse than the flu.

Also, the estimated need for ventilators has decreased because patients who are hypoxic actually do better off the vent. Only 30% (US numbers) currently make it off the vent, and the doctors have changed the criteria for intubation. Some hypoxic patients (O2 sats at 85%) are not even breathing rapidly for some reason. The treatment with hydroxychloroquine, Zpak and high dose zinc seems to have a positive effect when administered timely.

We must continue to do our best, but let's not judge people who need hardware or a touch of leisure.

Off my soapbox....no offense meant.

But anyways.....

The courses I play wipe down the cart after every round. You can't touch the stick and a couple have the cups upside down so you don't have to reach down into the cup.
My club has closed, but prior to closing, the cups had been turned upside down; no one was pulling the flag; rakes were gone from the bunkers. I played in a neighboring town yesterday and they had inserted plastic rings in the holes to keep the ball from going in so deep a person had to place his hand down in it. As with our place, the rakes had been removed and the two-person-at-a-time in the clubhouse rule was in effect. Cashier barrier was in use.

OK, so what about the situation where your playing partner refuses to move his pull-cart and the two of you get into a fight? I only ask because we had a pretty robust discussion about that scenario a few weeks ago before we knew about social distancing.

Under our new social distancing protocols, would our fight just involve throwing stuff at each other?

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnews...-remain-open-while-other-things-close-118642/

When I was a young guy, someone told me more deals are made on the golf course than in the board room. Looking at this list, I would say the power brokers on golf courses still carry a ton of weight, and, as always, are completely out of touch with the rest of America. (Disclosure, I'm an old fat white guy who made some golf course deals back in the day). But, truth is truth

So current definition of exposure is 5 minutes within 6 feet with an infected patient. Easily avoidable on golf course. My biggest concern would be the spitting that goes on.

If you are worried about transmission on golf course.....don't play golf.

Maybe we should tell the doctors, nurses and techs to quit going to work. They are at risk of getting and spreading the virus infinitely more than some golfer.

Please try to maintain some sanity people. I am trying not to judge fellow gamecocks, but some of you are taking this a tad too far.

I now know 3 people who have had it....all fine. I know of multiple people that I do not know personally, but are pretty sickly to begin with, that have also survived. Not saying that infections can't lead to death, but current data in Italy based on estimating untested "positives" and even adding 45,000 estimated untested deaths, think that the death rate is between 0.3-0.6%...3-6x worse than the flu.

Also, the estimated need for ventilators has decreased because patients who are hypoxic actually do better off the vent. Only 30% (US numbers) currently make it off the vent, and the doctors have changed the criteria for intubation. Some hypoxic patients (O2 sats at 85%) are not even breathing rapidly for some reason. The treatment with hydroxychloroquine, Zpak and high dose zinc seems to have a positive effect when administered timely.

We must continue to do our best, but let's not judge people who need hardware or a touch of leisure.

Off my soapbox....no offense meant.

But anyways.....

How can a person live a life with zero risk? They cannot. How can I skydive with zero risk? I cannot. Is the risk worth it for me, no so I don't.
Golf and tennis in Florence. I saw groups of 4 on the putting green at Oakdale.

There is no tennis in Berkeley or Charleston County that I know of. Even if I take my ball machine to a court and I am the only one there, I will be locked out. The Lowes, WalMart and the golf courses have a much bigger lobby than tennis.

I`m afraid this will cost some of these governor`s dearly if they are up for re-election. Are they too stupid to realize this will be used against them mightily in an election campaign, even though it`s more semantics than anything that really is different from what is in place now. Not sure why they can`t see that, I can see the ads now.....

I played yesterday. We all had our own cart. We maintained our distance. The club wipes down the cart and I took wipes and did it as well. If I touched something that I suspected had not been wiped, sand bottles, then I had disinfectant with me to wipe down my hands.

I would suggest that I was safer yesterday on the course than going to the grocery store. Who stocked the shelves? Where has the check out person and bagger been? Who just checked out using the card machine?
Also, what about take out orders from a variety of eating establishments. Who cooked the food? Did they cough on it or sneeze while preparing it? I played Friday too.... had my own cart, didn’t get within 10 feet of anyone else. Got Lenny of exercise, fresh air and relief from being shut up inside for a couple of days. The only person who could be subject to me contracting the virus on the golf course would be my wife, who has been to the doctor this week and the grocery store and fast food drive thru.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
Dang, I don't think I'd want to go anywhere in Camden right now. lol.

Interesting about seeing all the old people out and about (even with masks). I posted in another thread that it seems any time I'm out and about, I see a bunch of presumably high-risk old folks going about their business, often more oblivious to the dangers than the mask-wearing old folks you saw.
Most "old people" I know have balls.

How "old" are you, skippy?

Good luck!

Golf and tennis in Florence. I saw groups of 4 on the putting green at Oakdale.
I rode by Lexington CC today and I think it's the 4th hole a par 3, there were 4 players on the tee and all was side by side close enough to hold hands.nobody playing tennis or swimming.

I rode by Lexington CC today and I think it's the 4th hole a par 3, there were 4 players on the tee and all was side by side close enough to hold hands.nobody playing tennis or swimming.
What if they all live together?

My club has closed, but prior to closing, the cups had been turned upside down; no one was pulling the flag; rakes were gone from the bunkers. I played in a neighboring town yesterday and they had inserted plastic rings in the holes to keep the ball from going in so deep a person had to place his hand down in it. As with our place, the rakes had been removed and the two-person-at-a-time in the clubhouse rule was in effect. Cashier barrier was in use.
You must have played at White Plains(my home course)!!!

Reactions: king ward
The playgrounds at the county parks here are closed. The one I just drove by has a walking track that is open and the large field that’s inside the track is wide open. So no playground fun but if dozens want to congregate together and walk or have picnic, they can.

There is no rhyme or reason for any of this in South Carolina

The playgrounds at the county parks here are closed. The one I just drove by has a walking track that is open and the large field that’s inside the track is wide open. So no playground fun but if dozens want to congregate together and walk or have picnic, they can.

There is no rhyme or reason for any of this in South Carolina

Was there anybody there?

Most "old people" I know have balls.

How "old" are you, skippy?

Good luck!
I'm old enough to know the difference between bravery that serves a purpose and bravery that doesn't. I'm also old enough to know the difference between bravery and ignorance. I'm old enough to have "old" retired parents who have no essential reason for going shopping multiple times per week - but they do anyway. I pray they won't be one of the statistics for this virus. And if they are, nobody will talk about how they had "balls" for going to the Lowe's garden center in the middle of a pandemic that kills mostly old people. Their falling victim to the virus won't be because they delivered a shipment of food, helped sick people in the hospital, maintained law and order on our streets, filled somebody's prescription, or any other essential service. They will have fallen victim simply because they were stir-crazy and hard-headed.

I'm old enough to know the difference between bravery that serves a purpose and bravery that doesn't. I'm also old enough to know the difference between bravery and ignorance. I'm old enough to have "old" retired parents who have no essential reason for going shopping multiple times per week - but they do anyway. I pray they won't be one of the statistics for this virus. And if they are, nobody will talk about how they had "balls" for going to the Lowe's garden center in the middle of a pandemic that kills mostly old people. Their falling victim to the virus won't be because they delivered a shipment of food, helped sick people in the hospital, maintained law and order on our streets, filled somebody's prescription, or any other essential service. They will have fallen victim simply because they were stir-crazy and hard-headed.
IOW, they elected to not live in fear because they were told to. I’m 66, retired, and I’m down with that.

I drove by the parking lot of the Lowes in Camden about 11 am this morning. I did not get out of my car.

it was packed in the parking lot. I visit this store regularly and it was at least 30% more crowded in the lot than a normal Saturday.

I saw an elderly couple, clearly in their late 70s to early 80s walking outside the garden center looking at flowers (the flowers they set up just outside between the garden center and the parking lot). The lady was walking with a cane. The man was walking beside her. Both had masks on. It was an eye opener.

I then drove by the Walmart in Camden, it was the opposite. It was about 50% less crowded in the parking lot than a normal Saturday. The roads to and from seemed much less crowded. The restaurants that I drove by had drive throughs open and they seemed to not have much business at all.

I have to go to Camden for work. Not looking forward to it, but I was given an N95 mask and latex gloves.

We were in Lowes on Dorchester Road in N. Charleston Saturday. Almost every person had on a mask of some type.

Just played 18 holes today (I’m separate carts) it was beautiful out there. As of today 0.00073% of the American public has tested positive for this virus. And the percentage that has died is MUCH less. I’m playing again tomorrow morning (in separate carts of course).

In the US, there are 364,723 cases and 10,779 deaths. That works out to a mortality rate (or, CFR) of just under 3%. I know there is no way to know how many mild cases or even asymptomatic cases there are out there so the mortality rate is probably way off. However, it is way up from 2 weeks ago when it was around 1.2% in the US. And we are doing more testing now.

And I cant go to the beach across the street from me.
Maybe you could politely ask one of the property owners if you could temporarily cross their property to gain access. They may grant you a temporary ROW in these uncertain times.

The parking lot was crowded with vehicles. But the occupants of those vehicles were really spread out over the expanse of the golf course. Even on the driving range, people were maintaining good spacing.
Played the past two weeks myself and observed the same as you. One person per cart unless from the same household, adjustments all around to minimize having to touch things. A golf course is not where you will find foolish people for the most part.

Reactions: king ward
i am working on finding a place I can take my tennis ball machine. How can one be in danger of catching the virus with only one person on a court?

I think it is true that there are more older, influential golfers, than tennis players.

The parking lot was crowded with vehicles. But the occupants of those vehicles were really spread out over the expanse of the golf course. Even on the driving range, people were maintaining good spacing.
With 1 person per cart I guess the pace of play was faster than normal.

With 1 person per cart I guess the pace of play was faster than normal.
Advantages and disadvantages. If a player gets himself and his ball out of position, he can get separated from his cart with no one nearby to move his cart to the next advantageous position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT