ADVERTISEMENT

Guess this doesn't happen at Clemson or anywhere else

Wow, this is embarrassing. Most students probably had some crazy times in college now and then, but it sounds like things are getting pretty out of hand. Like, once you start spitting and assaulting hospital staff, you should probably get some stiff discipline from the school, if not expulsion depending on the severity of it. Beyond that, bars and organizations that promote drinking need to get serious (or be made to get serious) about underage and excessive drinking.

Wow, this is embarrassing. Most students probably had some crazy times in college now and then, but it sounds like things are getting pretty out of hand. Like, once you start spitting and assaulting hospital staff, you should probably get some stiff discipline from the school, if not expulsion depending on the severity of it. Beyond that, bars and organizations that promote drinking need to get serious (or be made to get serious) about underage and excessive drinking.
I don't disagree with any of this. however, this article could be written by any newspaper that resides where a major football program is. the point is that, you only see it about south Carolina because the state is a trash, rag newspaper, that for some reason, decided long ago, to trash USC anytime they could. it's amateur journalism at best

What is the point of this article exactly?

161 students were sent to the hospital for alcohol and drug related issues last year. That’s .4 percent of the student population. 11 students were cited for underage drinking in a two week period in October. Seriously? That’s a story.

The only thing interesting here is the incompetent and corrupt Columbia Police Department is sending under age drinkers to the hospital for no reason, rather than arresting or citing them.

161 students were sent to the hospital for alcohol and drug related issues last year. That’s .4 percent of the student population. 11 students were cited for underage drinking in a two week period in October. Seriously? That’s a story.

The only thing interesting here is the incompetent and corrupt Columbia Police Department is sending under age drinkers to the hospital for no reason, rather than arresting or citing them.
What's the point of 99% of their articles.

I don’t know how it is in Columbia, but in Horry County and many other places, the jails won’t take obviously drunk inmates unless they’ve first been cleared by the ER. And then you can say “well don’t arrest them, just cite them”. But that’s not that easy either...you cite and release a drunk 19 year old and they end up dead or raped, the family raises holy hell because you didn’t arrest them for their own safety. So the Columbia police may be corrupt as you say (I have no idea), but arresting drunks and taking them to the hospital is NOT an indication of corruption

Reactions: ddw1263
I’m sure the same goes on at Clemson. The difference is our stadium is within walking (stumbling) distance of the dorms (Frats). Sounds like most of the ones they get at the ER would be able to make it back to their dorms at Clemson. I’ve seen my fair share of kids who were just a drink or two away from poisoning. So this is not unique to y’all.

Reactions: LakeMurrayUSCFan
I don't disagree with any of this. however, this article could be written by any newspaper that resides where a major football program is. the point is that, you only see it about south Carolina because the state is a trash, rag newspaper, that for some reason, decided long ago, to trash USC anytime they could. it's amateur journalism at best

I hear you. I don't love The State by any means. Some of the reporting in that article seems amateurish. The quote from an anonymous EMT saying that if drinking were a sport we'd be #1 smelled like a tater to me. The headline was sensationalistic.

But I have heard from reliable sources that USC has a big drinking issue even compared to other peer institutions (i.e. big southern public universities). 161 students having to go to the hospital over a year is ridiculous.

I don’t know how it is in Columbia, but in Horry County and many other places, the jails won’t take obviously drunk inmates unless they’ve first been cleared by the ER. And then you can say “well don’t arrest them, just cite them”. But that’s not that easy either...you cite and release a drunk 19 year old and they end up dead or raped, the family raises holy hell because you didn’t arrest them for their own safety. So the Columbia police may be corrupt as you say (I have no idea), but arresting drunks and taking them to the hospital is NOT an indication of corruption

But the 23-year-old student, like many other intoxicated students who are taken to the hospital, wasn’t drunk enough to require medical attention, one of the nurses who witnessed the alleged assault said.

“If someone is able to talk and answer questions, they probably don’t need to go to the hospital,” a nurse said.

The EMT agreed, saying, “There’s been more than one occasion where we’ve taken USC students to the hospital...but they didn’t need to be there.”

It’s just laziness, and targeting underaged students who are drinking repsonsibly because they get off on it.

I hear you. I don't love The State by any means. Some of the reporting in that article seems amateurish. The quote from an anonymous EMT saying that if drinking were a sport we'd be #1 smelled like a tater to me. The headline was sensationalistic.

But I have heard from reliable sources that USC has a big drinking issue even compared to other peer institutions (i.e. big southern public universities). 161 students having to go to the hospital over a year is ridiculous.
how many students goto USC? 161 in an entire year, while not great, doesn't seem to be an alarming number to me

The CPD has the professionalism of a diseased hooker. They were a bunch of Yahoos just off the farm when I came to Columbia back in the 60's and things haven't changed. I wouldn't trust my dog to the staff at Baptist Hospital and the writer of the article referred to, Daprile, is a self-obsessed idiot. Move on.

Last edited:
But the 23-year-old student, like many other intoxicated students who are taken to the hospital, wasn’t drunk enough to require medical attention, one of the nurses who witnessed the alleged assault said.

“If someone is able to talk and answer questions, they probably don’t need to go to the hospital,” a nurse said.

The EMT agreed, saying, “There’s been more than one occasion where we’ve taken USC students to the hospital...but they didn’t need to be there.”

It’s just laziness, and targeting underaged students who are drinking repsonsibly because they get off on it.

Sorry, but the nurse is only looking at it from her own point of view. If the 23 year old was drunk enough to be “flailing around” and commit an assault, then it’s obvious she was drunk enough to be arrested. And if the jail won’t accept a drunk inmate unless they’ve been cleared by the ER, the cop has no choice but to take them to the ER. The county jails are run by the Sheriffs, so call Leon Lott and ask him why his jail doesn’t take drunks without an ER visit. And I can tell you the answer...because of liability

Between Oct. 2 and Oct 16, USC’s police department cited 11 people for underage drinking, and in every case emergency medical services were called, according to police records. (Translation: Over the course of 14 days, a total of 11 students were cited for underaged drinking by University Police. Google indicates about 20,000 undergraduates for 2018. If we say approximately 25% live on campus, then we would have 5000 students from which to draw a comparison. Conclusion: One student out of every 454 living on campus ended up being cited over a period of two weeks or 336 hours. Roughly one citation every 30 hours.

The EMT agreed, saying, “There’s been more than one occasion where we’ve taken USC students to the hospital...but they didn’t need to be there.” Conclusion: A ride by ambulance cost approximately $500-$700 here in NC that is billed to the student. Money drives industry. It is a money-maker for the ambulance service and the level of intoxication has nothing to do with transportation per this quote from the EMT. As for an appearance in an ER, I severed a section of my thumb and drove myself to the ER in Waxhaw. That visit alone cost me $1800.00. Once you walk in those doors, the money machine kicks into high gear at any hospital. I just wonder what the billing cost is per student that shows up at an ER for intoxication levels that do not put their lives in danger?

i too observed a large movement of college aged individuals flocking to the wooden fence when I attended a game two weeks ago. At least three hours before the game, droves of young people flocked to this location which run in the opposite direction of the stadium. I am certain a large portion of them ended up intoxicated. However, based upon the number of people that attended the game of college age, how many ended up drunk? The article lacked evidence of an epidemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakecock1
^^^ it’s not how many students attend USC, it’s how many students are living ON CAMPUS at USC. When the school talks about being notified of students being hospitalized, they’re talking about the ones who live on campus. They don’t get notified about the ones living off campus. And if you look at any school’s crime reports, the locals/commuters aren’t the troublemakers, it’s the ones on campus. So 11 in 14 days isn’t 11 out of 30k, it’s 11 out of however many live in the dorms

^^^ it’s not how many students attend USC, it’s how many students are living ON CAMPUS at USC. When the school talks about being notified of students being hospitalized, they’re talking about the ones who live on campus. They don’t get notified about the ones living off campus. And if you look at any school’s crime reports, the locals/commuters aren’t the troublemakers, it’s the ones on campus. So 11 in 14 days isn’t 11 out of 30k, it’s 11 out of however many live in the dorms

From the article "USC isn’t necessarily notified when a student is transported to the hospital from an off-campus location." From this quote we can agree they may or may not be notified. Stating they are not notified is not accurate.
As per the numbers involved, one would have to know the housing capacity of USC to get an accurate account of the percentages of on-campus statistics. On that point, I can agree with you. I altered the numbers (an estimate only) to reflect your posted conclusions.

Last edited:
From the article "USC isn’t necessarily notified when a student is transported to the hospital from an off-campus location." From this quote we can agree they may or may not be notified. Stating they are not notified is not accurate.
As per the numbers involved, one would have to know the housing capacity of USC to get an accurate account of the percentages of on-campus statistics. On that point, I can agree with you. I altered the numbers (an estimate only) to reflect your posted conclusions.

I work at Coastal and pretty much everything in this article rings true at Coastal too. If they get notified of any off campus or frat house students, it’s by mistake. As far as Clery crime reports go, the school is only interested in what happens in USC property and the students who live on USC property. When the article talks about workers dropping off taxi vouchers at the hospital, it’s for on-campus students...they’re not giving taxi vouchers to frat houses or grad students living in Camden.

First, there are almost two dozen students ticketed for underage drinking. Next thing you know, somebody throws a water bottle on the field almost killing several Clemson players. What's next?!!?

You'd think the folks down at the State could find something else to investigate. Maybe the $2 billion dollar boondoggle at SCE&G or the rampant corruption in the state legislature. But we are talking about the newspaper that hired Ron Morris.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I’m sure the same goes on at Clemson. The difference is our stadium is within walking (stumbling) distance of the dorms (Frats). Sounds like most of the ones they get at the ER would be able to make it back to their dorms at Clemson. I’ve seen my fair share of kids who were just a drink or two away from poisoning. So this is not unique to y’all.
Thank you for honesty. It's a horrible problem at a lot of universities. This isn't about Carolina vs Clemson. It's about societal problems.

Reactions: ClemDent
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT