ADVERTISEMENT

Guy's come on..it's not that we don't have SEC quality players....we don't have SEC quality coaches

superflyby

Mar 12, 2007
Monroe NC
The recruiting rankings say we have done just fine in recruiting. It was good enough for many seasons until the coaching changed. We still have players that should have made the adjustments to the SEC we just didn't have the coaches to help them do it. They are still playing at their high school level. If you took our players and let a solid staff coach them and I think...no... I know we wouldn't recognize them. These kids were wanted by many schools. We didn't miss on the talent (well we had some jump ship) we missed on the coaching. That is all....

In the last 5 games, we've beaten UNC and Miami, lost a close one to Kentucky, and got beat down by Clemson and Georgia. Those results seem consistent with recent recruiting rankings.

Hiring Hoke to "coach 'em" has proven to be of little value. A complete overhaul of the defensive staff, with a young, motivated DC who's a great recruiter was necessary. However, Spurrier's "2 to 3 years" comment has made hiring such a person improbable.

Agree with both of yall....

The major decline has been on defense and been since Ellis Johnson left. I like Hoke but think that just bringing him in and keeping the other coaches is not fair to him. I say give him the opportunity to bring in his own coaches next year. If he thinks keeping one or two of them is a good idea than I trust his judgment but would be surprised if that is the case.

Also, we have had some good ranked classes, much better than some that are playing much better football than we are. However, we have lost some of those to JUCO or prep school and also some of them have just been complete busts. Also, we have to stop the trend of pretty much every player that has a chance to leave as a junior, leaving as a junior.

Are all our "low" rated players on defense? Because that is where the vast majority of the problem has been, especially in the secondary. That doesn't seem to be the case. Our recruiting seems to be about even or maybe even a little bit better on the defensive side actually. So why is it the defense that is struggling so much and the offense was good last year, still pretty okay this year despite new QBs and and key losses on the Oline and starting RB?

IMO, We have low level SEC talent, with below SEC level coaching on defense. We also are getting beat in the strength and condition department. Not saying that recruiting better players wouldn't help, but it's certainly not the only thing we have issues with.

Reactions: GamecockJL
One think that gets me is through the years no matter how bad our D line is we don't try to blitz to get any kind of pressure. Johnson, Whammy and now Hoke refuse to try heavy blitzing. What have we got to lose?

We have a handful of guys on defense who play with no pride, no heart & no effort. "#42" last week is a prime example. They may or may not be coached worth a crap, but that's no excuse to play like you just don't give a shit.

Yeah, one player on D really stood out last week. I'll not call him by name but he wasn't a CB. This kid looked really bad. He'd never see the field again at some schools.

Regardless of whether it's talent or coaching, the staff is still responsible for both. If we can't recruit the talent, we better have a scheme to mask it. If we don't have a good scheme, we better have the talent to make up for it. What happens when we don't have either? A kid who couldn't keep his starting pos at UVA, sets an embarrassing NCAA completions record vs us. Our D gives up nearly a .75 completion % through 3 games. We don't force a 1st half punt in the 1st 3 games....horrible!

Agree with both of yall....

The major decline has been on defense and been since Ellis Johnson left. I like Hoke but think that just bringing him in and keeping the other coaches is not fair to him. I say give him the opportunity to bring in his own coaches next year. If he thinks keeping one or two of them is a good idea than I trust his judgment but would be surprised if that is the case.

Also, we have had some good ranked classes, much better than some that are playing much better football than we are. However, we have lost some of those to JUCO or prep school and also some of them have just been complete busts. Also, we have to stop the trend of pretty much every player that has a chance to leave as a junior, leaving as a junior.

You don't have a problem if you consistently recruit high-caliber players. It's not a rebuild - like we're doing now - it's a reload, like Bama. And, yes, I watched them get beat by a good Miss team. I also watched 4 turnovers and a giant fluke have a big effect on the game.

We have a handful of guys on defense who play with no pride, no heart & no effort. "#42" last week is a prime example. They may or may not be coached worth a crap, but that's no excuse to play like you just don't give a shit.
I've seen him play with more fire and passion than anyone in previous games. I've seen him play w with so much exuberance he was getting penalized. This is a guy that hates to lose and I wish we had more like him to be quite honest. He will be back next game with passion and it's up to the coaches to help keep the players motivated when things go south. It's to blame any of the players looking dispassionate late in a game when they are getting their rear ends handed to them, when their coaches who are supposed to be their leaders look like they aren't into it either.

I've seen him play with more fire and passion than anyone in previous games. I've seen him play w with so much exuberance he was getting penalized. This is a guy that hates to lose and I wish we had more like him to be quite honest. He will be back next game with passion and it's up to the coaches to help keep the players motivated when things go south. It's to blame any of the players looking dispassionate late in a game when they are getting their rear ends handed to them, when their coaches who are supposed to be their leaders look like they aren't into it either.

Agreed that Diggs normally puts it all on the line. But, not last week against UGA. He gave such poor effort on a couple of occasions that I almost wondered if..."something else" was going on. Whiffed and pulled up on some plays so bad it was like, "Wow, what's really going on here?"

Agreed that Diggs normally puts it all on the line. But, not last week against UGA. He gave such poor effort on a couple of occasions that I almost wondered if..."something else" was going on. Whiffed and pulled up on some plays so bad it was like, "Wow, what's really going on here?"

He played like that the whole game....all four quarters.

Maybe he's pulling up because he's been getting there too late in practice and the coaches are giving him an earful about penalties. And now he is in his head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT