ADVERTISEMENT

Had a Nice Trip to Columbia, Again! Thanks whitmire#

The-Hack

Oct 1, 2016
My brother and I took whitmire# up on the offer to stop by his railroad cars, and ate sandwiches, etc. pregame. He was shepherding his local folk and trying to direct Cat fans to his locale, so we didn’t have too much time to talk, but pretty cool stuff. We left him a bottle of Makers for his troubles!

My impression of USC in general is the same as from my prior trips.

Best pre-game atmosphere in the SEC, maybe tied with LSU’s “Mike The Tiger” pregame. I have not been to College Station or UF, yet.

USC fans: as nice as any. Oddly, I asked several fans about the location of the “Cockabooses,” and no one seemed to have heard of them . . . seriously. One guy looked embarrassed and said he hadn’t been to a game in 20 years. Turns out the red painted “Cockabooses,” and the whitmire# gray railroad cars are very VERY close to where the opposing fans enter the stadium.

I showed my brother the cool monument to George Rogers, after the game, and asked USCe fans if Big George still did autographs, and the Heisman display, there, and they gave me a blank stare. They were 20 somethings, so I told them about Rogers and the monument of him standing on the little bleacher. He won the Heisman when I was 17, and 20 years before current students were born, so I guess I shouldn’t be too harsh.

The Game.
At halftime a younger Cock fan said we were going to blow you out in the second half. I told him we were too turnover prone and that it would be a 4th quarter game.

Beamer.
He should have kicked a 42 yard field goal with 14 minutes left in a tight 13-7 ball game. And an onsides kick with 2:42 might have given you all two chances for a possession in the final two minutes.

Good post. Glad you had a good time before the game. Sorry that you enjoyed the game itself. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: chief2791
As a coach and a sport fan I tend to extend an olive branch to the opposition and have pleasant discussions when i know my goose is cooked. We are all gods creatures and should do what we can to make the world a better place. Having said that I had a good time with some UK fans before and after the game.

Love seeing this I want to come to a game there hopefully in 2 years ... I admire the fan base at USC because they flat out back there team even while they are down and there arch rival is capitalizing on playing in a crap conference over last 10 years and they have to put up with there crap
Stadium looked electric even though we got the D- telecast on ESPN 2 they cut out the crowd noise.
Guys as a outsider stick with Beamer - he’s enthusiastic- will recruit and while I’m glad he didn’t convert the 4th down calls ...I appreciate his aggressiveness
Got to stick with someone and recruit those lineman - that’s what Stoops has done - are we great no - but we are not a automatic win on the schedule like the old days
Go Cocks beat UT

Have to agree, best game atmosphere in the entire SEC.Great fans,great people, great food, always the most enjoyable road trip all year, and yes that includes the years when SC used to beat us like a drum.I like your young coach, hope he gets a fair shot.You all will be back, you have too much going for you not to be.Stay strong, beat UT!!

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT