ADVERTISEMENT

Hank Aaron passed away. RIP

Sad day. What a great athlete. I’ve got a picture of me as about a 6 year old (I turn 50 this weekend, for reference) standing with him in Greenwood, back when Greenwood was part of the Braves farm system and he was there visiting. I also have a baseball that used to have his signature on it before that same 6 year old decided it would be best to actually play baseball with a ball signed by the legend. You can barely make out a little pen ink under the scuffs and dirt. Oh well....

Still boggles my mind that despite all his on the field achievements, Hank Aaron only won 1 MVP Award in his baseball career? Can anyone unravel this mystery?

Still boggles my mind that despite all his on the field achievements, Hank Aaron only won 1 MVP Award in his baseball career? Can anyone unravel this mystery?

Whether people want to admit it or not, race definitely played a part in that. Do not forget that a lion share of his MLB career and the height of his playing days were during and immediately following the Civil Rights movement. I’ll acknowledge that there were several other black MVPs as well, but this was also the highest profile black man in the game.

I think another factor was he played in Milwaukee and Atlanta, small markets compared to other places. If he did what he did in New York, he probably wins 10.

Hank could have been bitter but he never complained about what he didn’t get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT