ADVERTISEMENT

Has the Hill era mercifully ended?

BeCocky77

Sep 21, 2020
I assume so. One game left and the backup started tonight. If so, what a weird, forgettable time it was.

Behind that oline and virtually no wide recievers there isnt a qb living or dead who would have done well. I'm not exagerating even a little bit. Dont blame Hill....blame Muschamp.

May be true, but Hill was clearly over his head out there. Good kid and all. He was a bad QB put into a bad situation. Truly a recipe for disaster. A good QB, even a game manager, would have mitigated some of the damage. It was really just unfair of Muschamp and Bobo to trot him out there. I just felt bad for him most of the season.

Offensive line was so horrible it’s hard for any QB to shine. I didn’t bother counting how many times our QB got sacked. Doty at least has the speed to run the ball when he has to. Where Hill/Hillinski just get mowed down.

Doty with the right players around him will be dangerous for opposing teams. Especially if he progresses. That’s where coaching comes in.

Last edited:
Offensive line was so horrible it’s hard for any QB to shine. I didn’t bother counting how many times our QB got sacked. Doty at least has the speed to run the ball when he has to. Where Hill/Hillinski just get mowed down.

Doty with the right players around him will be dangerous for opposing teams. Especially if he progresses. That’s where coaching comes in.

Hill would have been terrible with a good OL. The bad OL just magnified his many deficiencies.

Hill would have been terrible with a good OL. The bad OL just magnified his many deficiencies.
Don’t know what your problem with Hill is, but your posts in this thread are not only school-girlishly incorrect, but disrespectful and prissy to a local guy who chose to come back to our school and help us out, which he did. I am dang glad we had him; had the rest of the team pulled their weight from the get go we had the makings of a decent team this year.

We don't have a good enough OL to support a pocket passer. Even Doty was having difficulty with the Georgia DL. Notice, he also threw a pick six. But I believe that he is our best option moving forward because of his mobility. I can get fully behind Doty! Good luck to Hill and Hillinski!

Reactions: cadcock
Don’t know what your problem with Hill is, but your posts in this thread are not only school-girlishly incorrect, but disrespectful and prissy to a local guy who chose to come back to our school and help us out, which he did. I am dang glad we had him; had the rest of the team pulled their weight from the get go we had the makings of a decent team this year.

Help us out? lol How exactly did he do that?? I've got nothing personal against the guy. Program-wise, him being here set us back a full season in our QB development. We had 2 talented enough QBs on our roster already. Him coming here didn't address any glaring need. As a 5th year senior, he was, at the absolute best, ever so slightly better than our true sophomore and true freshman QBs. We saw that with our own eyes. As a program, we'd have been better off riding with Doty or Hilinski this season and letting them get the reps. Record-wise we certainly would have done no worse than where we are right now, and might have actually picked up another win...almost certainly we would have beat at least UT with either Hilinski or Doty in there.

I'm simply looking at this holistically regarding the program. What's best for the program? Hill came here for himself, not for the Gamecocks. He wasn't going to be the QB at CSU this year, and it appears his only shot at getting to play was to follow Bobo, which he did. So he came here to get 8 meaningless starts. Our program doesn't exist to help grad transfers salvage their careers. We can't go around handing out starting positions to talent-deficient players simply because they happen to have been born in the state and have had a rough go of it in their playing career.

Of course, Hill wasn't the REAL issue in all of this. Bobo is to blame, obviously, for showing glaring partiality to Hill. Ultimately the blame falls on Muschamp for not putting a stop to the nonsense. Even as it became abundantly obvious that Hill wasn't cutting it, they continued trotting him out there.

I'm probably focusing too much on Hill, but that's goes with the territory of being starting QB. He was the forgettable face of an entirely forgettable football season.

Reactions: boy among men
If you see Hill as the issue......I have some ocean front property in TN you might want to look at.

If you see Hill as the issue......I have some ocean front property in TN you might want to look at.

1. Mac Jones, Alabama — 95.5
3. Kyle Trask, Florida — 93.4
4. Matt Corral, Ole Miss — 90.3
17. Connor Bazelak, Missouri — 79.4
18. Stetson Bennett, Georgia — 78.5
30. Will Rogers, Mississippi State — 73.9
40. Bo Nix, Auburn — 71.9
48. Feleipe Franks, Arkansas — 69.1
52. Terry Wilson, Kentucky — 67.6
56. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M — 66.0
59. Myles Brennan, LSU — 65.6
60. TJ Finley, LSU — 64.6
85. Jarrett Guarantano, Tennessee — 55.2
86. Ken Seals, Vanderbilt — 54.9
95. Collin Hill, South Carolina — 50.1
110. K.J. Costello, Mississippi State — 40.3

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ec-qb-ranks-in-espns-total-qbr-after-week-10/

"b...b...b...b...b...but...sniffle, sniffle...our WRs are bad!"

Jeez. This is almost a recap of Bobo’s defensive response in his first press conference as interim coach. Unless you consider his “help” was to ensure we didn’t have to watch anymore Muschamp football this makes no sense.

Bad showing by both lines tonight. I have never seen another team's ol dominate us like tonight. The line surge was ridiculous.
It was similar to the way LSU dominated us earlier in the season. Our d-line has been manhandled by big physical offensive lines this season.

Jeez. This is almost a recap of Bobo’s defensive response in his first press conference as interim coach. Unless you consider his “help” was to ensure we didn’t have to watch anymore Muschamp football this makes no sense.
Lol. Joe Montana he wasn’t, but very few are. He had a bad game yes, very few don’t, but even that’s subjective. If you think Hill was the problem with this football team getting blown out and not winning games, you should broaden your observation of the game. With understanding comes enjoyment.

Lol. Joe Montana he wasn’t, but very few are. He had a bad game yes, very few don’t, but even that’s subjective. If you think Hill was the problem with this football team getting blown out and not winning games, you should broaden your observation of the game. With understanding comes enjoyment.

The best thing people say about Hill was that he wasn't the problem with the team. As if the team could only have one problem. He was one of many problems.

Reactions: NetworkX
If you think he “helped” then you must believe that the team would have won 1 or fewer games with Hilinski in as QB. The team was a train wreck regardless but Hill didn’t bring anything to the team other than another example of Muschamp’s repeated QB failures.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
1. Mac Jones, Alabama — 95.5
3. Kyle Trask, Florida — 93.4
4. Matt Corral, Ole Miss — 90.3
17. Connor Bazelak, Missouri — 79.4
18. Stetson Bennett, Georgia — 78.5
30. Will Rogers, Mississippi State — 73.9
40. Bo Nix, Auburn — 71.9
48. Feleipe Franks, Arkansas — 69.1
52. Terry Wilson, Kentucky — 67.6
56. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M — 66.0
59. Myles Brennan, LSU — 65.6
60. TJ Finley, LSU — 64.6
85. Jarrett Guarantano, Tennessee — 55.2
86. Ken Seals, Vanderbilt — 54.9
95. Collin Hill, South Carolina — 50.1
110. K.J. Costello, Mississippi State — 40.3

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ec-qb-ranks-in-espns-total-qbr-after-week-10/

"b...b...b...b...b...but...sniffle, sniffle...our WRs are bad!"

duh.....bad receivers and bad OLine.....name me the great QBs under that scenario? Doty and Hill get about 1.5 seconds to make a decision and throw a pass to a receiver that is so slow the other DBs are playing tight. So feel free to blame the one guy. Sniff sniff

duh.....bad receivers and bad OLine.....name me the great QBs under that scenario? Doty and Hill get about 1.5 seconds to make a decision and throw a pass to a receiver that is so slow the other DBs are playing tight. So feel free to blame the one guy. Sniff sniff

giphy.gif

I'll just say that USC should never again recruit non-mobile QBs or OCs who do not understand why we need a mobile QB at USC.

USC may never be able to recruit/develop the kinds of OL that can accomodate a non-mobile QB.

A parting shot at Muschamp....he signaled his intentions when he hire Mike as his OC. Mike was never a DT QB guy.

We need a roster of Connor Shaws/Luke Dotys running the zone read, QB draws, while being accurate passers.

Behind that oline and virtually no wide recievers there isnt a qb living or dead who would have done well. I'm not exagerating even a little bit. Dont blame Hill....blame Muschamp.

Don't blame Hill. Not at all bad considering what he had to work with.

Doty and Hill get about 1.5 seconds to make a decision and throw a pass to a receiver that is so slow the other DBs are playing tight.

Meanwhile Ryan Hilinski continues to get 0.0 seconds to make a decision and throw the ball in an already lost season with 2 wins where other QBs “give us the best chance to win”

Meanwhile Ryan Hilinski continues to get 0.0 seconds to make a decision and throw the ball in an already lost season with 2 wins where other QBs “give us the best chance to win”

totally agree on the RH thing.....Overall he did a really good job last year for what he was faced with. Can he improve yes. But I think his release is quicker than Hill and he should’ve been playing a bunch more for us to find out. There’s a time when you need to change quarterbacks and try something else and Muschamp was unwilling to do so. No way Ryan looked so bad in practice that he wasn’t worthy of pt. My overall point is I agree time was wasted, but our line and WRs would make any QB struggle.

totally agree on the RH thing.....Overall he did a really good job last year for what he was faced with. Can he improve yes. But I think his release is quicker than Hill and he should’ve been playing a bunch more for us to find out. There’s a time when you need to change quarterbacks and try something else and Muschamp was unwilling to do so. No way Ryan looked so bad in practice that he wasn’t worthy of pt. My overall point is I agree time was wasted, but our line and WRs would make any QB struggle.

The whole entire year was wasted as far as QB development. At least we can pull a new coaching staff from the rubble. The mind-boggling thing to me is that people kept comparing Hill, as a 5th year senior, to Ryan as a true freshman.

In the end, it may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe the best thing for Ryan and Luke is that the coaching staff didn't get to screw them up too much this year.

Reactions: tngamecock#
Hill might not have been "The" problem but he sure wasn't the answer. I agree that we wasted an entire year developing younger QB's....but at the sametime it helped move a crappy HC out.

Reactions: 92Pony
The whole entire year was wasted as far as QB development. At least we can pull a new coaching staff from the rubble. The mind-boggling thing to me is that people kept comparing Hill, as a 5th year senior, to Ryan as a true freshman.

In the end, it may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe the best thing for Ryan and Luke is that the coaching staff didn't get to screw them up too much this year.

Yep....at least Ryan got to learn without getting beat up. So that’s a plus.

Reactions: roosterbell
My all time favorite Gamecock QB Anthony Wright (the Wright brother)would have struggled this year with our pass blocking, and WR targets. He was a "run for your life" Gamecock QB if there ever was one, due to not so good pass blocking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT