ADVERTISEMENT

Have we ever signed a 5* player from out of state?

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Hearing about a LB from Tennessee that Clemson don't want who has us on his final list, got me thinking.

The last three 5*'s we got were Lattimore, Clowney, and now Pickens. All from SC have we ever gotten one from out of state, if so when?

If you go back to the 80s and 70s yes. But I am not sure they were called 5 star at that time.

Hearing about a LB from Tennessee that Clemson don't want who has us on his final list, got me thinking.

The last three 5*'s we got were Lattimore, Clowney, and now Pickens. All from SC have we ever gotten one from out of state, if so when?

I think the real question is has Clemson ever signed a 5 star without paying them or a family member?

Wasn't George Rogers or Johnnie Wright a 5* star player? (Georgia) There was also a linebacker that Morrison signed from Athens - Derek Little - that I think was a 5* player. (right after the 84 season) Maybe Todd Ellis (Greensboro) and a few others sprinkled in here and there.

The most interesting part of your question was the part about clemsux. They seem to have no interest in a 5* player who has no interest in them. At least according to their fans. Yeah right.

Randy Jackson was a 5 star by some services in the Holtz era and he was from GA. Todd Ellis would have been a 5 star. Keith Matkins too maybe

Wasn't George Rogers or Johnnie Wright a 5* star player? (Georgia) There was also a linebacker that Morrison signed from Athens - Derek Little - that I think was a 5* player. (right after the 84 season) Maybe Todd Ellis (Greensboro) and a few others sprinkled in here and there.
Little was or if not should have been. Erk Russell DC at Uga was angry at letting Little from Clarke Central H S just down the street get away.

Since the ratings began in 2002, SC has signed 8 - 5 stars with 5 from SC...
During that same time, CU has signed 25 with 2 from SC

Culliver's name comes up when discussing guys who thought they were offensive players but were told by coaches they will go farther playing defense. We have another guy on the roster like that right now.

Culliver was a guy that played defense in high school but wanted to be a wr. He switched to wr on the camp/all star game circuit and was upgrade from 4 to 5 because he looked good after that switch.

I am pretty sure other schools wanted him as a db and Carolina told him he could play where he wanted. It was not long before he was a db at Carolina

Reactions: rogue cock
Culliver's name comes up when discussing guys who thought they were offensive players but were told by coaches they will go farther playing defense. We have another guy on the roster like that right now.

Yeap . Worked out well for him . Got him to the NFL . Some kids have different agendas I guess which is completely understandable. How good of an NFL WR would Terrelle Pryor have been if he switched positions in college ?? Ultimately it’s their decision and future .

Reactions: TheReelEss
Culliver was a guy that played defense in high school but wanted to be a wr. He switched to wr on the camp/all star game circuit and was upgrade from 4 to 5 because he looked good after that switch.

I am pretty sure other schools wanted him as a db and Carolina told him he could play where he wanted. It was not long before he was a db at Carolina
My point is that just because a guy played QB in HS (probably because he was the best athlete on the team) doesn't make him a college QB in our system and dang sure doesn't make him an NFL QB. But it is his choice. And America's all about freedom of choice.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
My point is that just because a guy played QB in HS (probably because he was the best athlete on the team) doesn't make him a college QB in our system and dang sure doesn't make him an NFL QB. But it is his choice. And America's all about freedom of choice.

I got ya, the thing is that the coaches try to change a recruit for a reason and if the kid wants the brightest future, the coaches are usually right.

There have been a bunch of kids that committed to a school because they want to play this position or that position that other schools do not see as a fit, typically by year 2 or 3, the kid has changed to the position the coaches wanted and are better for it.

I am all for letting a kid play where they want but you see it a lot when a coach recruits a kid at their wanted spot knowing he will change him. That is kind of messed up

Reactions: TheReelEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT