ADVERTISEMENT

HC Experience vs SOS Facsimile Thereof?

Cockish

Apr 11, 2017
I am a Napier fan because of his HC experience;however, I may not be so against a Beamer hire based on his experience under SOS, his recruiting prowess, and if he retains Shaw for QBs. They way I see it, relative to CAROLINA's history of mediocrity and our 2021 recruiting rankings, I don't think a HC caliber coach from a Sunbelt Conference (of course, an Urban, Lou, SOS type HC in the mix would negate my argument) could get us above 0.500 any quicker than a coordinator type coach from the SOS coaching camp.

I am a Napier fan because of his HC experience;however, I may not be so against a Beamer hire based on his experience under SOS, his recruiting prowess, and if he retains Shaw for QBs. They way I see it, relative to CAROLINA's history of mediocrity and our 2021 recruiting rankings, I don't think a HC caliber coach from a Sunbelt Conference (of course, an Urban, Lou, SOS type HC in the mix would negate my argument) could get us above 0.500 any quicker than a coordinator type coach from the SOS coaching camp.

The talk is that Beamer would bring the OU style offense to SC. I don't know enough to say but does that type of offense require OU type players? Chadwell's offense (and Napier's too) seem like they are better suited "to do more with less."

Dave Clawson might be that type of coach too.

Reactions: Cockish
The talk is that Beamer would bring the OU style offense to SC. I don't know enough to say but does that type of offense require OU type players? Chadwell's offense (and Napier's too) seem like they are better suited "to do more with less."

The Dave Clawson mention by.. Was it Pollack who said that?- was interesting to me. I could go either way with his point. On the one hand, sure that dude has coached up some solid offenses with much less talent... On the other hand, he is the coach, is he not responsible fornupgrading the talent? Isn’t it a bit of knocknon the guy that he cannot recruit better to a power 5 school despite his offensive success? I mean Monken runs a “different style” of offense too and does more with less, I don’t see many people getting excited about him as an “option” here (pun intended).

I don’t know that Clawson is a real candidate at this point but I am going to go read up on him some more to formulate an opinion...

Then why isn't Steve Spurrier Jr being mentioned as a candidate? He coached under his father longer than Beamer did. They have basically the same qualifications. And if there are any magic tricks to being Steve Spurrier,, his son would surely be privy to them. Problem is, neither are SOS, and neither will be

It doesn't matter what style of offense one brings. And any coach can become versed in anything from the air raid to the wishbone. It is all about talent. Always has been, always will be. Look at the Ole Miss game. Some folks were so impressed that some actually floated Bobo as a possible replacement, or at least a good keep as OC. But it had little to do with scheme. That was about as simple a scheme as you will ever see in a college game. But Ole Miss couldn't stop the same running plays every high school team in this country runs every Friday night. But USC was so much better up front that even though Ole Miss knew what was coming, they couldn't stop it. Superior talent stops all nonsense

Then why isn't Steve Spurrier Jr being mentioned as a candidate? He coached under his father longer than Beamer did. They have basically the same qualifications. And if there are any magic tricks to being Steve Spurrier,, his son would surely be privy to them. Problem is, neither are SOS, and neither will be
I didn't realize SOS jr was also a pretty dang good recruiter like Beamer.

I didn't realize SOS jr was also a pretty dang good recruiter like Beamer.

Whobsays Beamer is such a great recruiter. Was at VT with daddy when that ship was going down. SOS was the lure at SC. Georgia was recruiting too 5 before and after him. And of us could recruit at Oklahoma. Please. Understand the playing field.

Whobsays Beamer is such a great recruiter. Was at VT with daddy when that ship was going down. SOS was the lure at SC. Georgia was recruiting too 5 before and after him. And of us could recruit at Oklahoma. Please. Understand the playing field.
You must be new to Gamecock fb...Shane was a top notch recruiter here.

Ellis Johnson worked on Spurrier's staff and he destroyed Sputhern Miss's program in only one season as their head coach. He was not HC material and his proximity to Spurrier wasnt going to change that.

As good of a coach as he was, Spurrier’s coaching tree ain’t that great

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT