ADVERTISEMENT

Headed to Mill Pond Restaurant tonight

Heard the steaks are out of this world. The setting/atmosphere also looks worth the visit

First saw it mentioned on here. Finally saved enough $$ to go.😃
thank you for letting us know about this steak house. my wife and i will make the trip. if they have outdoor seating this would be a plus. the menu prices will not keep us from going. it does surprise me these out of the place steak houses don't see more advertisement.

already picked my menu items fit for a true Gamecock Fan

Kansas City Bone-In Strip Steak - 46.5
18oz. Thick Cut.

Boykin Cornmeal Encrusted Oysters - 18.5
Select Oysters, dusted with Boykin Cornmeal, fried crisp. Finished with Pineapple and Mango Chutney, Chipotle Aioli, and a Sweet Balsamic Reduction.

Spinach Oysters & Brie - 18.5
Baby Spinach Leaves tossed with Warm Apple Wood Bacon Vinaigrette, Julienned Tomatoes, Fried Oysters, and Imported Brie.

thank you for letting us know about this steak house. my wife and i will make the trip. if they have outdoor seating this would be a plus. the menu prices will not keep us from going. it does surprise me these out of the place steak houses don't see more advertisement.

already picked my menu items fit for a true Gamecock Fan

Kansas City Bone-In Strip Steak - 46.5
18oz. Thick Cut.

Boykin Cornmeal Encrusted Oysters - 18.5
Select Oysters, dusted with Boykin Cornmeal, fried crisp. Finished with Pineapple and Mango Chutney, Chipotle Aioli, and a Sweet Balsamic Reduction.

Spinach Oysters & Brie - 18.5
Baby Spinach Leaves tossed with Warm Apple Wood Bacon Vinaigrette, Julienned Tomatoes, Fried Oysters, and Imported Brie.
They are so ashamed of the high prices they won’t even put the dollar sign next to the figures

I don’t mind paying high prices for good food every now and then.
We waste so much money on stuff that don’t matter. But a nice dinner on an anniversary weekend is worth it for sure.

Went there a year ago and was extremely disappointed. Had eight in our group and all meals came out late, different times and not really hot. FWIW I’ve had better steaks at Longhorns.
A word of caution, watch out for deer crossing the road.
I’ve never eaten here but friends say it’s better than MP

Reactions: rsmith404
Went there a year ago and was extremely disappointed. Had eight in our group and all meals came out late, different times and not really hot. FWIW I’ve had better steaks at Longhorns.
Is that you Lil’Fred? ;)

Not impressed with Mill Pond. Way overpriced. Go to Carolina Restaurant in Chesterfield. Best steaks and baked potatoes around and half the price.

First saw it mentioned on here. Finally saved enough $$ to go.😃
By All Means do I HIGHLY Recommend It - At least once to each and all that just so happen to surf thru this post!!

I have never, EVER, been disappointed during any of my visits there over the last decade or so +/-!!

Enjoy it, and Happy Anniversary you frikkin' gullable...... Ahh, Sorry!! Just a minor reflection back on my decade of misery during that one AND ONLY marriage of mine!!! LOLOL!!! =;-p

Seriously though, Happy Anniversary and I Promise you that you and yours will most certainly enjoy The Mill Pond!!!

Peace,

G

Millpond > Lilfreds for sure.

I had never heard of it until now (not having lived in SC for a while) - but it looks like an awesome spot! The history of the pond is worth the visit alone.

Not impressed with Mill Pond. Way overpriced. Go to Carolina Restaurant in Chesterfield. Best steaks and baked potatoes around and half the price.
Upwards of $30 an entree I’d say every place is overpriced. That being said, we both really enjoyed it. Being an outdoorsman I loved the scenery. A dreary fog crept in as darkness came.
I would come back.

Reactions: PC31 and Gaimcock
Place is great. Makes you feel special. Had great service and the food was excellent. The shrimp and grits were out of this world! Only order a few sides for the whole table. They could feed a small army.
Have fun!
That's what I had as well. Not because it's the cheapest thing on the menu, but rather because I'm not that into steaks. I just can't get $45 worth of enjoyment out of a steak. My daughter ate the appetizer crab cakes and my wife had a filet. We got a family size side dish. I thought the food and atmosphere were fantastic. I dressed a bit and was glad I did. I never want to be the worst dressed person at a place, which isn't difficult in SC.

Reactions: Judson1
Damn, how high is Lilfreds? I didn't check the prices but as soon as I clicked on the link the first thing I saw was "Get Quote". I don't mind paying for a good meal but I've never seen a restaurant give quotes. LMAO

Not in SC but if you want a really good steak, (and everything else), try Boots in Dillsboro, NC. It's the only place I've had a better steak than Alamo in Gatlinburg.

Reactions: Judson1
I've eaten at both several times and enjoy both equally. Lilfred's changed ownership a few years ago and I haven't been since then. I think they have delved more deeply into catering weddings and other social events but still maintain the restaurant.

If you want unbelievable steaks, reasonably priced, venture down to Buenos Aires, Argentina. I have never had anything anywhere near as good in the US. Parilla Pena, El Establo, La Brigada, Gran Parilla, to name a few. If you call an Argentina steak a 10, Ruths Chris or Morton’s or Mill Pond rate a 6.

If you want unbelievable steaks, reasonably priced, venture down to Buenos Aires, Argentina. I have never had anything anywhere near as good in the US. Parilla Pena, El Establo, La Brigada, Gran Parilla, to name a few. If you call an Argentina steak a 10, Ruths Chris or Morton’s or Mill Pond rate a 6.
Gracias Amigo, I will get my Gulfstream V and fly right down.

The best steaks are made in my kitchen. It’s not that hard, it’s all about the quality of meat. I do fine dining but usually avoid steak houses for that reasoning. If you live in Columbia your place would be the happy butcher in Lexington. 30 day dry aged ribeye cooked on my egg in a cast iron skillet, I will put that up against any steak house.

Years ago, I was flying there weekly. The reward for the all night ride was a steak dinner the next evening.
The waiter would present you with a platter from which you could choose your favorite.
The cuts were 1 to 2 inches thick. They would not use any preservatives. The taste and texture was superb. Your comparison of 10 to a 6 was accurate in my opinion.

The best steaks are made in my kitchen. It’s not that hard, it’s all about the quality of meat. I do fine dining but usually avoid steak houses for that reasoning. If you live in Columbia your place would be the happy butcher in Lexington. 30 day dry aged ribeye cooked on my egg in a cast iron skillet, I will put that up against any steak house.
Years ago, I was flying there weekly. The reward for the all night ride was a steak dinner the next evening.
The waiter would present you with a platter from which you could choose your favorite.
The cuts were 1 to 2 inches thick. They would not use any preservatives. The taste and texture was superb. Your comparison of 10 to a 6 was accurate in my opinion.

Heck, if y'all want a steak place that's a lil' closer than Argentina, then do let me suggest Mortan's The Steakhouse.

While that actual website does indeed need to be tweaked out/up a bit, the grub their is no doubt pretty darned good (seen several Panther players there on several occasions, as-well-as a few NASCAR drivers, etc.).

And just for the heck of it, here's the google link for the best steakhouses in Charlotte.

G

Yes sir, not to brag, but I’ve had many people rave about my steaks. It’s a hand cut filet from a local place. Teaspoon of olive oil on both sides, sea salt and ground pepper, and rare on a charcoal grill. Also grill some asparagus. Baked potato and some red wine to compliment.

Yes sir, not to brag, but I’ve had many people rave about my steaks. It’s a hand cut filet from a local place. Teaspoon of olive oil on both sides, sea salt and ground pepper, and rare on a charcoal grill. Also grill some asparagus. Baked potato and some red wine to compliment.
To clarify I was not boasting about my skill. A $50 steak at a steak house taste like it does because of quality and dry aging. Take the same meat and you can easily replicate the taste if you have any grilling and cooking skill at all.

Great restaurant, very unique. Used to always go there for Christmas with my aunt.

To clarify I was not boasting about my skill. A $50 steak at a steak house taste like it does because of quality and dry aging. Take the same meat and you can easily replicate the taste if you have any grilling and cooking skill at all.
I agree. I didn’t think you were boasting about your skills, nor was boasting about mine.

Dude, that reads so "Chef-ish"!! LOLOLOL!!!

Just kidding, just kidding!! Though I for danged sure wouldn't mind checking out your skills on one (or two) of your Ribeye's!!!

I would recommend using slight rubbing of plain Canola or veggie oil over Olive oil. The Olive oil has a low smoking point and will cause a slight bitter taste. Give it a try. It's also very important to begin cooking the steak at room temperature so the inside cooks at about the same rate as the outside.

I would recommend using slight rubbing of plain Canola or veggie oil over Olive oil. The Olive oil has a low smoking point and will cause a slight bitter taste. Give it a try. It's also very important to begin cooking the steak at room temperature so the inside cooks at about the same rate as the outside.
Thank you for sharing. I’ve also used grape seed oil. I do let my steaks come to room temperature before I do anything to them.

Dude, that reads so "Chef-ish"!! LOLOLOL!!!

Just kidding, just kidding!! Though I for danged sure wouldn't mind checking out your skills on one (or two) of your Ribeye's!!!
It’s not that hard. I prefer a 1 1/2” ribeye dry aged to 30-45 days. You can do that yourself actually in your fridge if you order umai dry bags and own a vacuum sealer.

I usually get a rib loaf about 10-12 lbs from Costco that is USDA prime. Age it in my fridge for 45 days turning weekly. Cut it into 1.5” steaks and cook them.

To cook them I reverse sear. I put my skillet on my big green egg with the plate setter in so you are cooking in indirect. Cook the steak till the inside temp is almost at target temperature. Then I sear both sides on my blackstone flat top griddle for a nice even crust. Always make sure steak is close to room temp before cooking. Salt pepper and garlic are the only seasonings you need

Reactions: Gaimcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT