ADVERTISEMENT

Heard an update on Tank...

Need Tank or Lloyd...not both. Want both, but don't need both.

Tank should go where he feels the most comfortable. It is not about where he will become a "legend' or "just a player".....its where he would truly get the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

90% of the people on this board can't name our top backs in history, either. We have some pretty good backs as well.

UGA lies a bit more than we do. So there is always that.

Reactions: PC31

Tank should go where he feels the most comfortable. It is not about where he will become a "legend' or "just a player".....its where he would truly get the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

90% of the people on this board can't name our top backs in history, either. We have some pretty good backs as well.

Huh?

what do you not understand
Where to start?

First, we need as much RB talent as we can possibly get. We have a stable of backs that have shown flashes. But none have shown that they can be a consistent workhorse back that have the total package -- not to mention that many top RBs want someone to split carries with so the can have a longer shelf life in the next level. And certainly none of them are feared by any team we play.

What do you mean 90% of people here can't name our best backs in history? Do you seriously think most real Gamecock fans here couldn't name Heisman trophy winner George Rogers? Marcus Lattimore? Brandon Bennett? Harold Greene? And that's just a few off the top of my head.

Finally, you said, "UGA lies a bit more than we do. So there is always that." While this is possibly true, what does it have to do with anything?

I think he said tank should come here because he has a way better chance to play early and often, and that UGA lies to recruits a good bit. Ask Fields.
That's not the way I read that at all. If he meant that, why take a dig at Gamecock fans, challenging their knowledge of our RB history? Why act like we've already got enough good RBs here, so one of them should probably go elsewhere?

To know if UGA lies more than SC we'd need to know how much SC lies. Can you clear that up?

We need both. Alabama uses multiple backs, Clempson uses multiple backs, Georgia uses multiple backs, WE use multiple backs. When we lost Marcus, we needed a great back to step forward. We had one. The old days of the power I single back that you could give 25+ carries per game are over. Even the backs don't want it. They want 12-15 carries a game so they don't wear their bodies out before their anticipated pro careers.

Georgia's number one recruiting goal, Milton, is telling people he would like to play with Tank. Marshawn and Tank are discussing the possibility of playing together. Of course, Georgia can show a history of using multiple backs - who get drafted. So, what is Georgia "lying" about?

Why "need" instead of "want?" (1) Our present rbs are quite average. Some might say "average at best." (2) We don't have a freshman or redshirt frosh who is projected by anybody outside our fanbase to have the potential to be a high quality back. Suppose Marshawn gets injured. You are never over-insured at RB. (3) Suppose Marshawn flips.

Oh, BTW, I can name our top 10 backs and probably 95% of ALL our runningbacks who have started for us every year beginning my freshman year with Jay Lynn Hodges - including Long and Williams who each rushed for over 1,000 yds in '75. Did we "need" two great backs that year? Well, I doubt we would have won 8 games without those two future pros. Turns out we didn't "need" Wright because Rogers was extremely durable, but we were lucky. Rogers/Left - Wright/Right was unfortunately a pipe dream. A healthy Wright could have been a difference in the 4th quarter against UGA in 1980 when George was worn down.

But then everybody has an opinion.

Reactions: mavcock
That's not the way I read that at all. If he meant that, why take a dig at Gamecock fans, challenging their knowledge of our RB history? Why act like we've already got enough good RBs here, so one of them should probably go elsewhere?

I read it differently. We have not had a top tier RB since mike Davis...we were all going to be happy if we got Tank....we got a surprise commitment from an equally talented back....now we all want both. I think he was pointing out that we definitely "need" one of the 2, and would really like to get both.

However, we have a pretty good RB history and the posters claiming that we can't compete for a georgia RB against Georgia are incorrect. Many of our greatest players were from georgia, and they were not all "leftovers"

No biggie .....I think everyone is on edge due to the upcoming season.

Go cocks!

No biggie .....I think everyone is on edge due to the upcoming season.

Go cocks!

Dude, totally 100 percent. I am
excited
anxious
scared
confident
worried
freeking out

and know we are capable of something great but so fearful we might not deliver. And eating up every single second of anything remotely related to this football team, even the lake day video.

Reactions: radcock
First of all we don't have Lloyd til he enrolls and is on campus. The thing about these early commits is it's way too early imo. It's a long time til they report and many things can and do change their minds. For that reason alone you need as many workhorse and play making backs as you can get. Look at what happened to Marcus. Two plays destroyed his career when he possibly could have been a Heisman candidate if he had stayed injury free for 4 years. Uga had two quality play makers last year and in previous years. That's true of most of the top programs. Imo we have very average players at rb til they prove differently.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Hopefully Fenwick, Valentine, and Harris will be sufficient as a #2 option for 2020 with Lloyd, while the staff brings in another quality back (Carroll?) for 2021...

What a problem to have. UGA is definitely one of the programs born with a silver spoon! How big has that bid (more than Clemsons) for Herschel been for them through the years. Definitely worth it.
that has helped uga as much as buying players by clemson has helped them since around 1980

Tank is a silent commit to UGA.

Doty is drawing serious interest from UGA and will push him all the way to the early signing period.

Being close to his family will probably keep him at USC.

Doty is drawing serious interest from UGA and will push him all the way to the early signing period.

It's not unusual for UGA to take 2 top backs. I've seen them substitute 3 backs and each one equally dangerous.

I'd be shocked as all get out to see Doty flip but I've been shocked before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT