ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing Seventh Woods was in attendance...

trae172001

Dec 28, 2006
Warner Robins GA
He has to be impressed with the great job Martin is doing turning this program around. I hope we get this young man. I doubt we are even in contention for Woods without Martin. We have ourselves a basketball coach. That's easy to see.

We have a long history of having some local players in attendance. But we don't get them all of course.

Woods is a longshot at best.

even with the Dozier history, SC never gets Dozier without Martin...Woods never considers SC without Martin

Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but I still don't think we have a snowball's chance in Hell of landing him. I fear everyone is getting their hopes up for nothing.

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:
Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but I still don't think we have a snowball's chance in Hell of landing him. I fear everyone is getting their hopes up for nothing.
Latest I've heard is Roy Williams has really been working him hard. Woods once considered a UNC lock is not so much a lock. Woods has great respect for Martin. While I'd still give UNC the edge probably by a good little bit, it's long from over, and Woods has a high interest in USC that he'd not have if not for Martin. These kids like Woods and Dozier have been playing ball for a long time. They know a great coach when they see one. We have ourselves a basketball coach... No doubt that.

as compared to who? We don't know if that's true or not.

There are a number of quality coaches out there that we could have hired that would have made the local guys a priority that could have given us a chance.

It's not as if Gamecock nation and every recruit in the Columbia area was begging for Frank Martin from Kansas State to be hired before he was hired.

I'm not dogging Frank. I'm saying this logic is strange.

to say they don't even "consider' us without Martin is an unknowable message board argument point.

Originally posted by bosoxcock:
even with the Dozier history, SC never gets Dozier without Martin...Woods never considers SC without Martin

We aren't going to land him.

Some are acting as if him considering us means anything. It doesn't unless he signs here. Coming in 2nd doesn't mean anything in recruiting.

Coming in 2nd on recruits got Brad Scott fired- because back in the 1990s - all Gamecock fans heard was "that Florida kid wouldn't consider us if not for Coach Scott."

Well, they considered us - and signed with other teams. Jeff Chaney ring a bell?

Martin IS the coach AND because he IS the coach he gets Dozier and has a chance at Woods... I don't deal in who else MIGHT this and that... I deal in realism ... He is the coach and we have Dozier, and its because of realism, not some imaginary coach you dream up that may or may not do the same...

That's what I've been hearing also.. as you said, he once was a lock for UNC. Not anymore. He is now torn between schools, which at this time,is a victory for Martin.

I heard, you heard, they heard. Gotta love how rumor mills run. These things get said in all sports all year and every year.

That has nothing to do with my response to you above.

Originally posted by bosoxcock:
Martin IS the coach AND because he IS the coach he gets Dozier and has a chance at Woods... I don't deal in who else MIGHT this and that... I deal in realism ... He is the coach and we have Dozier, and its because of realism, not some imaginary coach you dream up that may or may not do the same...

Originally posted by trae172001:
He has to be impressed with the great job Martin is doing turning this program around.
I'm sorry... what?

Latest I've heard is Roy Williams has really been working him hard. Woods once considered a UNC lock is not so much a lock. Woods has great respect for Martin. While I'd still give UNC the edge probably by a good little bit, it's long from over, and Woods has a high interest in USC that he'd not have if not for Martin. These kids like Woods and Dozier have been playing ball for a long time. They know a great coach when they see one. We have ourselves a basketball coach... No doubt that.
Why would Roy Williams have to work hard to sign Woods??? UNC is one of the best basketball programs in the nation and all great players go to UNC over programs like Carolina....

When is signing day in April?

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Why would Roy Williams have to work hard to sign Woods??? UNC is one of the best basketball programs in the nation and all great players go to UNC over programs like Carolina....

UNC is in the midst of a academic scandal, which has the NCAA infraction committee delving into their issues. The question is this. Is UNC's academic reputation above reproach from the NCAA. Notre Dame ' skated' on infractions including over a $million dollars$ being funneled to football players by a booster in Chicago...

Perhaps, Woods is concerned about UNC's on-going issues? Perhaps, he wants to stay closer to home? Perhaps, he sees improvement in our program, and a better 2015 recruiting class coming in (Dozier, Silva, etc.).

Originally posted by hobcawcreekcock:
Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

UNC is in the midst of a academic scandal, which has the NCAA infraction committee delving into their issues. The question is this. Is UNC's academic reputation above reproach from the NCAA. Notre Dame ' skated' on infractions including over a $million dollars$ being funneled to football players by a booster in Chicago...

Perhaps, Woods is concerned about UNC's on-going issues? Perhaps, he wants to stay closer to home? Perhaps, he sees improvement in our program, and a better 2015 recruiting class coming in (Dozier, Silva, etc.).
+1, once the NCAA drops the hammer, UNC will be lucky to get our castoffs.

Anyone waiting for the hammer to drop on UNC, dont hold your breath. I will believe it when I see it.

He has to be impressed with the great job Martin is doing turning this program around. I hope we get this young man. I doubt we are even in contention for Woods without Martin. We have ourselves a basketball coach. That's easy to see.
Trae,

If we lose Frank Martin to the Lakers or Miami Heat, maybe we can get Horn back.

Weirdly, he hasn't been snatched up by another school.

"world----cklers", I don't know "why" Roy Williams would have to work so hard to get Seventh (or anybody) either since his program is such a premier one, but he IS working hard to get him! I've seen him at a game watching him play at Pinewood Prep last season and he was at a practice at Hammond last month to visit. That's just what I've "personally" seen - how much he stays in touch otherwise I have NO idea. I understand Frank Martin is working him as well! Hope since we're closer home he'll choose to play for us!

Originally posted by Bongsummers:

Trae,

If we lose Frank Martin to the Lakers or Miami Heat, maybe we can get Horn back.

Weirdly, he hasn't been snatched up by another school.
Bit your tongue!

That will set us back with in state HS players this year and the next 4 years...

Cluckers, call me crazy, but I suspect if Martin left that Trae would regard his replacement as a great coach, too. Maybe even better than Martin!

I've always appreciated the way some look up to me on this board. Trae this Trae that. It's nice, it really is. I bet some of your keyboards letters T-R-A-E are rubbed off. Yall have fun now. It's been a pleasure, but I'm going to move on.

Yea, we have a great basketball coach. That's just so easy to see.

I remember seeing Jermaine O'Neil at every game. Next thing you know he's off to the NBA. Eddie could have made a run with that kid.

If I'm not mistaken, there were academic issues that encouraged O'Neal to go pro. Guess that could somehow be spun against USC, if that's your intent.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

....how bout money that encouraged him to go pro.... and a very wise move he made

Jermaine O'Neal went pro because he wouldn't have been able to get into Midlands Tech, much less USC. Same for Kevin Garnett. If I remember correctly, KG barely cracked a 700 on the SAT when you got 400 just for putting your name on the form. Jermaine was about the same.

Note: I'm not casting aspersions on their intelligence or character. Maybe they just didn't test well. But the fact of the matter is, they wouldn't have been able to get into USC even if they had decided they wanted to come here.

Garnett and O'neil both went pro out of high school and had very lucrative careers. I've met Jermaine while he was a senior in high school. He was actually over my parents house for Christmas that year. His home life probably had more to do with his academics than anything else. He was a good kid and seemed to be well liked by his peers. Even in some of his interviews he sounds more intelligent than guys that were college grads. Having Coach Glimph being his mentor has worked wonders with him.

I remember seeing Eddie and Garnett at a SC baseball game, when he was recruiting him. I also remember Michael Jordan saying in an interview that the gamecocks was his second choice behind UNC and was amazed at that. If only.

122113-Seventh-Woods-Slam-Dunk-CQ-PI-CH.jpg

Originally posted by section2cock:

I remember seeing Jermaine O'Neil at every game. Next thing you know he's off to the NBA. Eddie could have made a run with that kid.
I spoke with ONeal several years ago. He did not know I was a gamecock fan. I asked him where he would have gone to school in he didn't go directly to the NBA... He told me Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT