ADVERTISEMENT

Hello all! Please don't start political threads...

Shoe layin down the law. The issue is also that people turn non-political topics into political threads often. The political divisions in our country permeate every facet of life today. People cannot separate politics and the lies being fed to them from normal conversation any longer, and they have zero tolerance for what their politicians tell them is wrong. Sad state of affairs…

Shoe layin down the law. The issue is also that people turn non-political topics into political threads often. The political divisions in our country permeate every facet of life today. People cannot separate politics and the lies being fed to them from normal conversation any longer, and they have zero tolerance for what their politicians tell them is wrong. Sad state of affairs…
Yes, we even look at local issues through the lens of national politics. It is lazy and annoying.

Anyway, that's that.

Reason please?
Ummm… Perhaps- and I am just spit ballin here- because this is a SPORTS forum? I love to argue as much as anyone but the violent political environment in this country today is toxic. This place should be a release to help us all enjoy sports for what it is- entertainment! Sure, we can vent when we lose and there will be disagreements about our team… But do we need to add political narratives and division to the mix?

Ummm… Perhaps- and I am just spit ballin here- because this is a SPORTS forum? I love to argue as much as anyone but the violent political environment in this country today is toxic. This place should be a release to help us all enjoy sports for what it is- entertainment! Sure, we can vent when we lose and there will be disagreements about our team… But do we need to add political narratives and division to the mix?

It’s also a business that makes money from ads no matter what the content. Not all boards on Gamecock Central need to be about sports. Such as Locker Room on the paid board. It’s up to Shoe.

Those are all valid points. I obviously come to this freeboard and don't invest any money. I guess at the end of the day I like to be given an explanation on why a rule is put in place instead of it just being implemented. I understand this is his board and no reason is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
But do we need to add political narratives and division to the mix?
It is bad enough that a few always give South Carolina the backhand when every opportunity exist and then run down or make it seems the women's basketball program or any other sport that having success is irrelative which creates divisions. I understand this is a forum and people have the right to express their views on South Carolina sports, but you are most correct with political threads that are nothing more than people beating each other over the heads with their view on political talking points from the media that intensifies the division ÷ .

Thanks so much! And thank you for visiting FGF and Gamecock Central.
tenor.gif

Reactions: PC31 and vacock#
Thanks so much! And thank you for visiting FGF and Gamecock Central.
Thank you. I have in the past responded to political posts. Don't like to though. Political posts don't belong on a sports board. We all are different. Some are Republicans. Some are Democrats. Some like blonds. Others prefer brunettes. Some like bacon. Others like sausage. Some want steak sauce on their steaks. Others do not. But, God loves all people, including Clemson fans. The surge in political posts on FGF seemed to coincide with the disastrous Muschamp years. I really don't remember political posts during the Spurrier era. Just more reason to hope Shane Beamer proves to be Frank Beamer, rather than Frank Barone. GO COCKS!!!!!!!

While there has always been an element of politics in sports, I think it went into hyperdrive when the National Anthem protest at games started. It was justified by many, and I think that's how we got to where we are now. Now it is infused into every aspect of our life, especially sports. Can't watch a game without a political message. Political messages on the court. Political messages on helmets. Political messages on jerseys. Political messages in the commercials. We hear it from players. We hear in from coaches. We hear it from commentators during the game. We hear it in pregame. We hear it at halftime.

It's literally everywhere in sports. Shouldn't surprise anyone that it showed on sports message boards. I've participated in the discussions here and elsewhere, but I wish it were gone EVERYWHERE.

Thank you. I have in the past responded to political posts. Don't like to though. Political posts don't belong on a sports board. We all are different. Some are Republicans. Some are Democrats. Some like blonds. Others prefer brunettes. Some like bacon. Others like sausage. Some want steak sauce on their steaks. Others do not. But, God loves all people, including Clemson fans. The surge in political posts on FGF seemed to coincide with the disastrous Muschamp years. I really don't remember political posts during the Spurrier era. Just more reason to hope Shane Beamer proves to be Frank Beamer, rather than Frank Barone. GO COCKS!!!!!!!
I sure he loves Clemson fans too, but I don't think he would ever wear that ugly orange or putrid purple. JMHO

Hey - how about all of our exceptional sports teams at the U of SC! And the way our athletics department and BOT are the talk of the nation! Good Talk.

While there has always been an element of politics in sports, I think it went into hyperdrive when the National Anthem protest at games started. It was justified by many, and I think that's how we got to where we are now. Now it is infused into every aspect of our life, especially sports. Can't watch a game without a political message. Political messages on the court. Political messages on helmets. Political messages on jerseys. Political messages in the commercials. We hear it from players. We hear in from coaches. We hear it from commentators during the game. We hear it in pregame. We hear it at halftime.

It's literally everywhere in sports. Shouldn't surprise anyone that it showed on sports message boards. I've participated in the discussions here and elsewhere, but I wish it were gone EVERYWHERE.
I think this is part of the problem- often what is considered a “political message” is really a SOCIAL issue that politicians turn into a political issue. Sure, sometimes they come right out and make political statements, bring up a specific politician… But most of the supposed political issues championed by sports teams are an attempt to use their platform to shine a light on a particular social issue they are worried about. For instance- It should not be political for an underserved/discriminated against segment of society to ask for equality. We should all agree that discrimination is wrong- but politicians use these public displays to rally their base and divide us- the politicians make everything into a political issue and people fall for it every time. That is not a political statement BTW- notice I did not mention my opinion or support one side over another… I am just making an observation about how things get out of hand in discussion forums unrelated to politics.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Here is my question. This has bothered me for a while. On our responses, at the bottom of our response it has:

Report Edit Delete

I get why we might edit or delete our response, but do you really expect us to "report" ourselves if we do something naughty?

I have sworn off politics. Don't even watch the news anymore.

It's troubling that we have several posters who will attack another poster personally just for expressing an opinion. Not talking about politics but almost everything. I take it too personally and let it bother me. Was having a discussion with myself today about stopping posting. As you can see what decision I made.😊

• Haha
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It's troubling that we have several posters who will attack another poster personally just for expressing an opinion. Not talking about politics but almost everything.

I always thought politics made even normal people turn nasty. Lately I've been wondering if it just exposes what was already there.

I think this is part of the problem- often what is considered a “political message” is really a SOCIAL issue that politicians turn into a political issue. Sure, sometimes they come right out and make political statements, bring up a specific politician… But most of the supposed political issues championed by sports teams are an attempt to use their platform to shine a light on a particular social issue they are worried about. For instance- It should not be political for an underserved/discriminated against segment of society to ask for equality. We should all agree that discrimination is wrong- but politicians use these public displays to rally their base and divide us- the politicians make everything into a political issue and people fall for it every time. That is not a political statement BTW- notice I did not mention my opinion or support one side over another… I am just making an observation about how things get out of hand in discussion forums unrelated to politics.
You seem to have an inability to comment without sliding in political talking points.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
Politicians are aided and abetted by the media. THAT is the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT